Nikon D7100 images

Love the heron! Cracking detail, love the colours & great BG. Excellent.

brilliant set of pics, .........D7100 seems to be getting alot of negative reviews & opinions about this powerhouse of a camera these pics just go to show what a great camera it really is when used correctly........!!

brilliant set of pics, .........D7100 seems to be getting alot of negative reviews & opinions about this powerhouse of a camera these pics just go to show what a great camera it really is when used correctly........!!

or maybe there are some bad ones out there, like there were with the D800 for example?

@ SleepyTree: Some good clear pics there, especially the heron - glad you got a good one.

I had a D7000 for 21/2 years & got good images without fuss. Now using the same settings, & further trying just about every variation thereof, I can't even get the same sharpness as my old camera, never mind better........!!

(Sorry to go OT slightly, Sleepy Tree)

or maybe there are some bad ones out there, like there were with the D800 for example?

you may be right......... :shrug::shrug:

I had a D7000 for 21/2 years & got good images without fuss. Now using the same settings, & further trying just about every variation thereof, I can't even get the same sharpness as my old camera, never mind better........!!

(Sorry to go OT slightly, Sleepy Tree)

do you mean same settings on D7100 and cant get same sharpness??

Daz

It's not been plain sailing, I have my doubts about this camera. It can produce some stunning sharp images and I think I'm getting the hang of it. However, it's the first upgrade where I haven't just picked it up and thought "yep, that's sooooooooooo much better".

My main problem has been the focusing, I have owned the D70/80/90/7000 and have used the AF-A setting more or less all the time. It would appear that on the D7100 this option does not work for me, it's too unpredictable and jump the focusing around randomly IMO.

Today I have been using AF-C for flight shots and AF-S for static, as you should be I hear some of you saying, but as said AF-A has always managed to do both for me in the past.

Anyway, I have only just got in and will look at the images and see if it has improved the focusing. I can post my thoughts and a few images if anyone is interest.

It can produce some stunning shots but focus can sometimes be hit and miss. Im putting it down to getting used to it and knowing its limitations. I'm in Spain at cabarceno wildlife park at present and had a few problems trying to get sharp images of the bears, this I think was down to the conditions rather than the camera, even my mate with a d800 was having the same problem so it wasnt just the d7100. There maybe a couple of bad ones out there but many seem to probably be pretty good. It will be interesting to see the difference between the d7100 and d7000 as I've been shooting with both, changing lenses between the two too so it will be an interesting test.

So far I'm pretty happy with the d7100, got some good shots so far and tried it out on a few long days now. Focus seems to be pretty good on birds in flight.

Havergate Gull by Rob'81, on Flickr

Brown Hare by Rob'81, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great photos there Nigel. I'm glad you are happy with the camera now. Can I ask how you completed the AF adjustments as I think I need to do it on the 300 f4 and 1.4tc.

Last edited:
Rob, a friend on mine came up with a method, we call it the six inch nail test.
Basically put a big nail in a plank of wood and shoot down the plank at low level (largest aperture). You should be able to see the DOF either side of the nail. Ideally you should have a1/3 in front and 2/3 behind, manually put the lens out of focus and take an image, then micro adjust (l starred with +5), reset to out of focus and take another image. Repeat for a couple more images increasing the adjustment. Review images and see which one is best. I repeated this test about 4 times and then took plenty of test images, but it made a big difference to the number of keepers.
Let me know if you need more information, this is only one of many different methods that you could use, but I find it the cheapest and easiest.

Rob, a friend on mine came up with a method, we call it the six inch nail test.
Basically put a big nail in a plank of wood and shoot down the plank at low level (largest aperture). You should be able to see the DOF either side of the nail. Ideally you should have a1/3 in front and 2/3 behind, manually put the lens out of focus and take an image, then micro adjust (l starred with +5), reset to out of focus and take another image. Repeat for a couple more images increasing the adjustment. Review images and see which one is best. I repeated this test about 4 times and then took plenty of test images, but it made a big difference to the number of keepers.
Let me know if you need more information, this is only one of many different methods that you could use, but I find it the cheapest and easiest.

I've pretty much decided that the D7100 is the way to go for my next camera as my D300 is getting a bit long in the tooth. What interests me is the 1.3 crop option as I shoot mainly wildlife on digital this would obviously give a nice long reach with a 300mm lens. Do you find that the IQ is as good as when using all 24.1 mb and does the buffering ever cause you any problems?

Cheers

Andy

Oh and those shots a blimmin' fantastic.

I've pretty much decided that the D7100 is the way to go for my next camera as my D300 is getting a bit long in the tooth. What interests me is the 1.3 crop option as I shoot mainly wildlife on digital this would obviously give a nice long reach with a 300mm lens. Do you find that the IQ is as good as when using all 24.1 mb and does the buffering ever cause you any problems?

Cheers

Andy

Oh and those shots a blimmin' fantastic.

The 1.3 crop mode makes it a 2x crop factor of 16mp compared to the normal 1.5 crop factor of 24mp. To be honest I normally shoot using the normal crop factor and then crop to the desired amount. That way you get a wider shot too. If you need a faster frame rate then the crop mode means you get an extra fps and a smaller file so the buffer won't fill as fast. I'm not one to shoot fast consecutive frames so the buffer size doesn't really bother me. I though I would use the 1.3 crop mode than I do but Ive probably used it on a couple of occasions in about 4 months. The amount you can crop is amazing, especially compared to the d300. The normal resolution is 6000x4000 so a portrait crop from a landscape orientation would still give 4000 max on the long side.

The centre 15 AF points are all the more sensitive cross type. I find I'm keeping the focus point within these and then crop later to the desired composition.

Thanks for that Rob, just the sort of insider knowledge I needed to make my decision. Just need to sell the D300 and my Fuji GW690 film camera (and possibly a kidney) and I shall get one soon.(y):D

Andy

Back