Nikon D7200 Exposure Compensation Puzzle

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
Yes
Exposure compensation is something I've never really messed around often but I was experimenting recently with my 60mm Macro and a ring flash. With the camera set on manual I progressively turned up the Exposure compensation to a maximum of 5.0 with absolutely NO difference in exposures whatsoever. According to the pdf manual it states:- 'In Mode M exposure compensation affects only the exposure indicator; shutter speed and aperture do not change' - yet the main heading states that it functions in 'P,A,S,M, Scene and Night vision.

Is there some setting one has to change in order for exposure compensation to actually function in Manual mode? Is it a case of a technical author getting things around their ears?

Any ideas anyone!

It does function in that it indicates exposure level seen compared to the level you set it at. You can change aperture and shutter speed to make the indicator zero and you'll get the exposure you chose.

In manual, aperture and shutter are what you picked so there is only iso left to play with. Put it on auto-iso if you want the camera to adjust the exposure automatically. This can be useful if you are taking pictures of fast moving people in the dark.

Thank you, ironically after I posted my problem I read my looked it up in my David Busch D7200 book and discovered that in M mode it becomes a guide..as you say.
I know my way around the D7200 but I'd never had occasion to combine Manual mode with exposure compensation but I'd never use auto ISO, that's one area I like full control over (grainy images for me have to be deliberate).
Thanks again

Back