Nikon D7200 or D7500 ?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all I need some advice,
I am upgrading from a 3200, the only thing putting me off the 500 is the 1 card slot and no battery grip.

How many of you have actually had a card fail ?
I could live without the grip but it would be nice.

I'm with gremlin16 here, I used two D7200 cameras for 18 months for my Weddings and they were great

Battery life was great too, so I really don't see the point in battery grips

I probably (as a Pro shooting Weddings) take more photos than most amateurs do, and in 10 years as a Pro using everything from a 1gb microdrive (cost me £248 !!!) through CF cards to my current 4x 64gb SD cards I've never had a card corrupt on me. Its something we're all paranoid about and yes 2 card slots is defo a peace of mind factor

HTH

Dave

i have corrupted several CF cards in the past when i was new to my D700. I put it down to operator error, but ever since then, I have had a downer on them. SD all the way for me now. I would be happy to have a single slot SD body if push came to shove.

But if you were buying new and not upgrading from a 200 would you get the 500 ? l already have the funds earmarked and am going to get better glass soon.

Nikon D7200 (24.2 MP) 6 27 18 35 26
Nikon D7500 (20.9 MP) 8 74 50 100 73

The main reason to get a 7500 over a 7200 is if you want a considerably better buffer and higher fps. 2 fps more is more significant than it sounds.
In fact it looks like to me the 7500 buffer is only beaten by the pro cameras D4 or newer and d850, d500

The numbers listed show the 7500 has :

2 fps more,
47 more lossless 12 bit,
32 more 14 bit lossless,
65 more 12 bit compressed,
47 more 14 bit compressed.

But if you were buying new and not upgrading from a 200 would you get the 500 ? l already have the funds earmarked and am going to get better glass soon.

To be honest Paul, I spent that long researching each of my bodies, I would say I would have bought the 7200 every time. I literally read every review I could find and scratched my head for hours. Best thing to do is get yourself down to a shop and cop a feel for each and see what you think.

You can never have too much money left over for lenses :)

I would either go for the excellent D7200, which is probably Nikon's most economically priced quality DX camera or jump up to the D500 for its pro-body, AF & speed. The D7500 is a hamstrung hybrid.

Looked at loads of reviews on line and I have decided although there is only one slot I think for low light situations and the extra fps and faster buffer ( i take alot of flying rc aircraft photos) the 7500 gets it.
There don't seem to be many people have problems with SD cards and my current 3200 only has 1 so no loss, so I will try it and see how it goes,
Thanks for all your replies

i had my 1st ever failure with a sd card 3 weeks ago the following week another one failed :(
i have used them for many years and had hundreds and never had a problem i actually found it ironic i got 2 fail in a week of each other.
1 was in my D7000 and the other was in my dash cam

Late into this but I would take the D7500, single memory card slot doesn't bother me (I have a dual slot camera and only use 1 card anyway), low light, FPS, buffer etc all contribute to getting THE shot, not a higher resolution version of a missed or blurry shot.

How many of you have actually had a card fail ?
I was in the same position as you and decided to go for the D7200. I personally shoot Landscape images so the fps didn't make a difference although the tilting touch screen would of been nice yet it wasn't a deal breaker. BUT... in answer to your question only last week I had a SanDisk Extreme 32GB SD card fail whilst I was out in the Lake District and luckily the camera was set to back up, so it justified me getting the D7200. I would of been gutted if I had lost a days worth of photograph's as it failed just before I was about to leave. For the difference in price I would look at the Sigma AF 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens, really really sharp and can be picked up for under £300 on Amazon.

Back