Nikon D7200 or not?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I'm new to the forum so 'Hi' to you all. I'm sure I'll be sharing some photo's for critique and asking some blindingly stupid questions in the future but the thing that's on my mind at the moment is, do I go for the Nikon D7200 or remain with my Nikon D60? As a brief back history, I purchased the D60 some 10 or so years ago, not long after it was released. Always used on auto because I didn't have the understanding to venture off onto another setting, last year I did an online photography course and have been watching some TV programs which has opened my mind to many new techniques, and ideas. Although I don't have a problem with the D60 and it's in very good condition I'm keen to upgrade to something a little newer and after many weeks of looking at specifications, photos and researching any concerns users have, I've decided the camera that would like and works for me is the Nikon D7200.

'Why don't you get a full frame / mirrorless or this make or that make' I hear you asking; Well, part of my current kit list is a range of lenses and accessories designed for the Nikon and my budget is restraining me from rushing out and spending what would become several four figure sums.

However, I would appreciate any positive and negative feedback from the forum members who own or have owned a Nikon D7200.

Just one final point, the camera would be purchased as brand new, not used or reconditioned (if it has any baring on your feedback).

Thanks in advance

I have a 7200 and find it’s a superb body , you don’t state what your intended use is but I use mine for mainly for wildlife with a bit of motorsport thrown in.. you will find plenty of my shots in the birding section which can then link you back to my Flickr stream ... the burst rate is very good as is the buffer ... the a.f is good but not in the class of a d500 or D3s/4 as I said it depends on end use .. the raw files are extremely fine and workable in all honesty it’s generations ahead of your d60 ... there is nothing not to like about it a super body ,buy one you know it makes sense

Yep, great body. Much more responsive than the 60, better everything.
I use mine as a back up to my 750, not much difference in performance.

Hi, thanks for the response Black Fox, I'll take a look at your shots. I use my D60 for everything from flowers to motorsport to observational portraits / street. I want to practice and improve on everything and I know that a better camera isn't going to give me better images but as you quite rightly highlight, my D60 is lacking in most areas as my knowledge and thirst for experimenting expands.
I can feel my flexible friend might be coming out for a stretch.

Thanks Kendo1. Interesting that it's comparable to the D750

Hi chris
and welcome to the forum :)
the 7200 is a good camera as is all Nikons :LOL:, I had a one a couple of years ago, switched to a Canon 80D and then I'm back with the Nikon brand as I thought the noise and dynamic range of the 80D was nowhere near as good as Nikons implementation. Keep an eye on John Lewis website as they were selling the 7200 for £599 which is a great price, better than grey from Panamoz.

I had a D7100 which was a fabulous all-rounder is all but one respect, the miniscule buffer. The D7200 was an improvement, not a huge amount to justify the cost, but over a D60 you'll find so many improvements hard to resist.

Not at higher ISOs it's not. ;)

But other respects it's quite similar.(y)

Up to 3200 they are comparable, 7200 is not bad at 6400 but there is a definite improvement with the 750.
Shadow recovery with the 750 is awesome :)
I tend to stick to 3200 (or less) ISO with the 7200
ISO 3200 f4 1/200, at 200mm, (Nikon 80-200, 2.8, exif is incorrect on Flickr - it says I used my 24-70)
EUPDS 2018 by Ken, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and the explanation on the iso. I’m sure the 7200 will be better than the d60 which is my original concern. My comment re the 750 was driven by my understanding that there would be a major difference because of its full frame format.

Back