Nikon D750 & D780

Thanks Chris. Been considering the 18-35. Have you any sample shots of it on your D750?
I have the 18-35mm AF-S on my D750 but unfortunately not had time to go out and take proper shots. I'm very happy with the test shots I took though.

Thanks Peter. Probably one from @Mr Perceptive ? There's a thread running in the architecture section with a few more pics in if you fancy a gander.
Yes, I think it was him. It was posted in the photography forum on Pistonheads.

Ah, just seen the thread in the architecture section!

Last edited:
No, it was the same person - just that his user name on PH is different to here and Flickr.

Ah man, why did I pick this camera up in the shop.... I really thought the grip was no big deal, not a deal breaker, but the camera just felt so comfortable...

Now I need to justify selling my D600 and nearly everything spare I have around the house as I really really want the D750!

Anyone noticed metering differences having moved over from another brand? I find that as I have shot Canon for years that I have become accustomed to adding an extra 2/3 to a stop in most normal conditions, but having to go the other way with the D750. Funny how you get used to things.

Need to buy one of those sensor cleaners mentioned before as I have got a stubborn bit that a wet clean doesn't seem to budge! Hope it's not another issue.

Probably the same reason the very first thing you do when you buy a new car is to replace the dealer supplied plates and take the dealer sticker out of the rear window.

How does black tape improve rear visibility?

Anyone noticed metering differences having moved over from another brand? I find that as I have shot Canon for years that I have become accustomed to adding an extra 2/3 to a stop in most normal conditions, but having to go the other way with the D750. Funny how you get used to things.

Need to buy one of those sensor cleaners mentioned before as I have got a stubborn bit that a wet clean doesn't seem to budge! Hope it's not another issue.

I seem to have added 2/3 - 1 stop with the D750's (both bodies) as they under-expose and with canon I had no compensation!

I seem to have added 2/3 - 1 stop with the D750's (both bodies) as they under-expose and with canon I had no compensation!

D7000, D700 & my D800E all tended to need - EV if anything. Have Nikon changed much with the D750 ?

I can't say I've had to dial any exp comp in under normal situations tbh.

For those that do do you just dial in the exp comp or have you gone to the trouble of setting the exposure fine tune for each metering mode?

Could be different with each lens, mine slightly over exposes with the 70-300 in auto ISO,not tried any other modes yet.

I can't say I've had to dial any exp comp in under normal situations tbh.

For those that do do you just dial in the exp comp or have you gone to the trouble of setting the exposure fine tune for each metering mode?

I should have added that I meant matrix metering. Spot metering is something I use very occasionally for specific purposes. With the DR of the 750 can see why people are underexposing to retain all highlight detail. My point is that I am changing the way I shoot as a result. I have been using the flip screen as another good example. Only problem with it that I find, is attaining quick focus. I wish the focus square would jump around the frame quicker!

I moved to Canon for a while a couple of years ago and I found the opposite,it took me a while to adjust to how they exposed.

There is a school of thought among some Canon shooters that the slight under-exposure is intended to retain detail in skin,and to be fair between the D700 and 5Dmkiii the nikon did tend to blow the highlights on skin much more in when matrix mode.

The D750s metering is pretty much bang on though and it definitely exposes skin better than the 700 did. I also find the highlight weighted metering handy for situations as well ( window light portaits etc).

Last edited:
Off to a wedding as a guest on Friday, I have my D750 35mm 1.8 and 85 1.8, looking forward to trying them out properly. I was thinking of sticking the 85mm on most of the time, I don't want to get in the way of the pro on the day and can stand back a little and pick out some shots without being in peoples faces. Quite keen to get as many of the guests as its something the bride and groom might not get as many of.

Any massive limitations with sticking to the 85 for most of the day? I may switch to the 35 inside if there is not much room.

No idea what lenses to get on my limited budget. I have the 50mm f1.8g but looking for some general purpose lenses.

Was thinking about the 24-85 vr and 70-300 vr or the 24-120 vr.

Budget won't go any further for now.

Double post

Last edited:
Are any Nikon D750 owners here using the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8? Have read some very favourable reviews which suggest it's perhaps better than the Nikkor. And it's considerably cheaper. And there's currently a £100 cashback offer.

This is looking like it's going to be a very expensive month. :eek:

I should have added that I meant matrix metering. Spot metering is something I use very occasionally for specific purposes. With the DR of the 750 can see why people are underexposing to retain all highlight detail. My point is that I am changing the way I shoot as a result. I have been using the flip screen as another good example. Only problem with it that I find, is attaining quick focus. I wish the focus square would jump around the frame quicker!
Yeah, I use matrix 99% of the time and don't find I need to dial in exposure comp. What I was meaning re the fine tune is the D750 has the ability to fine tune the exposure for each metering mode individually in the menu system which would save you having to dial in exposure comp each time you shoot.

Are any Nikon D750 owners here using the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8? Have read some very favourable reviews which suggest it's perhaps better than the Nikkor. And it's considerably cheaper. And there's currently a £100 cashback offer.

There's little in it, but I still prefer the 'look' that the Nikon gives. However, at half the price the Tammy is hard to look past and for the times that I use a short zoom these days is probably the one I'll go for.

Ironically enough I've just sold mine... but thats not a reflection on the lens (rather a huge car bill and half an eye on an A7ii/A7rii.....)
The Tamron is a great lens, I've had 2 and both were awesome and for the price (especially with cashback) its hard to justify the extra on the Nikon 24-70 f2.8.

I'm just back from holiday where the 24-70 got most use but it has just been sold on and I'm sure the new owner will enjoy it as much!
If I decide I need another 24-70 it will be the Tamron without any doubt!

There's little in it, but I still prefer the 'look' that the Nikon gives. However, at half the price the Tammy is hard to look past and for the times that I use a short zoom these days is probably the one I'll go for.

Ironically enough I've just sold mine... but thats not a reflection on the lens (rather a huge car bill and half an eye on an A7ii/A7rii.....)
The Tamron is a great lens, I've had 2 and both were awesome and for the price (especially with cashback) its hard to justify the extra on the Nikon 24-70 f2.8.

I'm just back from holiday where the 24-70 got most use but it has just been sold on and I'm sure the new owner will enjoy it as much!
If I decide I need another 24-70 it will be the Tamron without any doubt!

Cheers chaps. Had always imagined buying the Nikkor. But having read the reviews of the Tamron, I'm having serious second thoughts.

No idea what lenses to get on my limited budget. I have the 50mm f1.8g but looking for some general purpose lenses.

It has to depend on your interests,i got the 70-300 as i knew it would make a good walk round lens for my interests,just ordered the 50mm,given up on wide angle at the moment until i see things the 50mm wont do.

What is your budget? If I had a small budget and could only afford two lenses then a 24-85 and 70-300 setup would be just fine I think.

Depends what you plan to shoot and what does limited mean?

24-120 would be a good all rounder but there is a tamron 28-75 for less than 200.

It has to depend on your interests,i got the 70-300 as i knew it would make a good walk round lens for my interests,just ordered the 50mm,given up on wide angle at the moment until i see things the 50mm wont do.

I had the 70-300 VR on my D600 and stupidly I just sold it as was selling all my gear to downsize.

But a change of mind, means I need to buy another one!

Think I will get the 24-85 and 70-300 for the reason I do like some telephoto sometimes.

@minnnt what focus setting did you use for the Charlie shots and shoot in Aperture priority? I need to get the 85 back on but have been enjoying the 35mm F2.

Back