Nikon D750 & D780

I've been struggling today for some reason. I don't know if I'm going to have to makes some lens tuning adjustments on the 'new' body I got, or if I was just being useless, but getting things in focus was a lottery. Being useless is a likely bet as I kept finding my shutter speed and aperture wasn't what I thought I'd set. :oops: :$

Then again it was a bit dark.

_7500607.jpg

I suspect I am going to make an idiot of myself by asking this but I will anyway. I was shooting aperture priority and I accidentally moved the back wheel and this changed the shutter speed which ultimately changed the exposure. I wasn't expecting the shutter speed to change. Whether it should and I've never realised it shows how little I really know but i thought the whole point was with AP/SP was that if you set one the other would be set automatically, or have I missed the point ?

I suspect I am going to make an idiot of myself by asking this but I will anyway. I was shooting aperture priority and I accidentally moved the back wheel and this changed the shutter speed which ultimately changed the exposure. I wasn't expecting the shutter speed to change. Whether it should and I've never realised it shows how little I really know but i thought the whole point was with AP/SP was that if you set one the other would be set automatically, or have I missed the point ?

Do you have Easy Exposure Compensation or Easy ISO turned on?

Well, I never. Yes, Easy Exposure was set to yes. Thanks so much. At least I wasn't completely stupid. Just need to work out why I decided to change is to yes!

I've been struggling today for some reason. I don't know if I'm going to have to makes some lens tuning adjustments on the 'new' body I got, or if I was just being useless, but getting things in focus was a lottery. Being useless is a likely bet as I kept finding my shutter speed and aperture wasn't what I thought I'd set. :oops: :$

Then again it was a bit dark.

_7500607.jpg

Bloody hell, did you tell him that his cock was poking out?

Any suggestions for a 10-stop filter? For use on a 24-70 F2.8?

I know Lee are good, but they are expensive!

I thought about trying a cheapy one before going expensive and got the Camdiox ND10, about £10 in 72mm size and no colour cast at all so saved a fortune :)

Last edited:
Well, I never. Yes, Easy Exposure was set to yes. Thanks so much. At least I wasn't completely stupid. Just need to work out why I decided to change is to yes!

I've not tried easy exposure. I either use auto ISO or easy ISO in M, A or S modes. I thought being able to change ISO by setting the top record button to ISO would be great but easy ISO is so much better as it doesn't turn on the rear screen. I now have the record button set to WB, it make it easier to change WB but it still means the rear screen turns itself on blinding me if I have my eye to the viewfinder!

Last edited:
I do use easy ISO when in A, works well. It's a feature that Canon doesn't have, or didn't have when I were shooting with those.

Cheers Tim.

Easy ISO is great, 99% of the time i shoot in aperture priority so having it on the rear dial is a good move. I still have it on the rec button too so i guess i could change that to something else now... Not sure what though.

I was on holiday skiing with my son and was trying (and failing) to take some video of him with the camera which I'd never done before. I'd looked on the web and it had suggested the 'easy' settings so I gave it a try. Day later, forgot about settings! I did think the camera was playing up due to the -10 degrees and that it had gone into manual mode. I also had a card failure on top of this!

Cheers Tim.

Easy ISO is great, 99% of the time i shoot in aperture priority so having it on the rear dial is a good move. I still have it on the rec button too so i guess i could change that to something else now... Not sure what though.

Yeah I use AUTO ISO 85% of the time, I've now moved that to the record button, and out exposure comp on the rear dial, that should work quite nicely for me.

Now it's just to get out and use the thing!

Never used auto iso.
Surprising, one less thing to have to mess with for us lazy people :p

Joking aside it is very useful when panning and don't have time to adjust exp between shots (talking about manual mode here obviously ;))

I use auto ISO and set it to max of 8000. Covers a wide range and works for lazy ones like me [emoji1]

I use auto ISO especially for sport or street photography and set Max ISO and min shutter speed.
Landscapes, I generally set manually as I have more time to ponder the settings (but generally get wrong)

I use auto ISO and set it to max of 8000. Covers a wide range and works for lazy ones like me [emoji1]
I'm happy to set mine to 12800, I know in A priority it will adjust shutter first so will only go up to 12800 if absolutely necessary, and as such would rather get the shot than not. As per my image I've posted on here already 12800 is perfectly useable :)

I use auto ISO especially for sport or street photography and set Max ISO and min shutter speed.
Landscapes, I generally set manually as I have more time to ponder the settings (but generally get wrong)
I still sometimes use A priority for landscape and use exp comp if needs be, although do sometimes use manual if the mood takes me ;) ISO is always 100 though unless I 'forget' my tripod like I did the other week ;)

I'm happy to set mine to 12800, I know in A priority it will adjust shutter first so will only go up to 12800 if absolutely necessary, and as such would rather get the shot than not. As per my image I've posted on here already 12800 is perfectly useable :)
D750 is really good with high ISO and with bit of NR or selective NR, images are highly usable

Cheers Tim.

When I looked at the record options it was either White Balance, ISO or FX/1.2 Crop/DX. As I already have the FX/1.2 Crop/DX set to a front button and easy ISO set I made it White Balance. I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it as shooting RAW I normally leave it on cloudy most of the time and change WB during editing if required.

Be careful peeps, all this talking technical stuff about D750 is going to sound like this is the D750 thread rather than the general ramble (aka screen protector) thread....oh, wait a minute!

Hmmm. I've never needed to fine tune a body to any lenses before, but this 'new' body (it's a refurb) needs +20 and it's still slightly out. I don't want to shoot at one point daft, but f2.2 is still dodgy. Looks like a trip back to the shop for it.

I've read this before. Any reason for shooting in cloudy? I normally just leave it set to auto2.
No reason other it's in between sunny and shade and seems to give a good WB for what I shoot. Change WB in processing the RAW if required so settings like WB and colour space are kind off irrelevant until the processing and final output stage. Still not sure which colour space to use for shooting in as it seems to be dependant on the output you use (web, monitor display, printing etc).

Be careful peeps, all this talking technical stuff about D750 is going to sound like this is the D750 thread rather than the general ramble (aka screen protector) thread....oh, wait a minute!

Sorry about talking about the D750, let's get back to straps, screen protectors and other stuff.

I've read this before. Any reason for shooting in cloudy? I normally just leave it set to auto2.
I have it in auto but have tweaked it to give the most accurate colours to my eyes. When I want on the photography day at Howletts the guy suggested having it set to cloudy but it was FAR too warm for my tastes, everything looked yellow. He was a Canon shooter though and cloudy did look better on the Canon.

Wonder if I ever come back to the club?? The a7ii is such dust magnet since day one sensor never been clean. I've had it cleaned twice but they still all over the images.

Back