Nikon D750 & D780

Do most of you find your D750 front focusing ? I saw one thread about it somewhere, but can't remember

I though there was reviews or some mention on here or Avf that the nikon 85mm is a hit and miss with a good one?

Hey, don't knock the gearhead anglers. They keep the tackle trade afloat - including rod builders like me! :D

I'd post a picture of a gudgeon I caught this afternoon - but I used my compact. :oops: :$

Did you use the macro function Dave [emoji3] I get the tackle thing, really I do, I'm on the wagon these days...

My 85 F1.8G was spot on both the D610 and D600, but I think it will require a minor tuning on the D750 from an initial test

My 85mm is spot on, did the dot tune thing this weekend in fact.
Need to use the dot tune on all lenses as I have not done this exercise with the D750 yet

I had to!! :D

You'll fall off as soon as you start fishing again. ;)

I added three more Delks last week - that makes seven. Well, it saves swapping them over from my pod to sticks.... :rolleyes:

I really need to get a new set of barbel sticks, my Chimeras are probably about 13 years old now and I have battered them. They've been soo good that I haven't ever contemplated changing but they're a bit soft these days. I assume you use Harrison blanks?

OK so update tonight is that the 85mm only needs +12 tonight. I tend to be pretty consistent in my tests so I don't know what's changed. I do think my D750 is a bit fubar though as I've thought focus has shifted on other lenses before, but put it down to user error. This time though I've not moved the tripod between tests so was in exactly the same place as before. I always rack focus to infinity before I AF on charts. What I've also noticed is that when focus is set with S-AF so it's bang on, it front focuses with C-AF. I've noticed it doing this with sports and just put it down to it being the way it is with moving subjects as the actual subject been sharp. But if I look at a runner for example the back leg can be starting to leave the zone of focus but there's quite a bit of ground in front of the runner that's still within the zone of focus. Testing this 85mm I did put it on C-AF out of curiosity on a static subject. S-AF needs +12, C-AF needs +20. I'm going to try it on my 70-200mm tomorrow to see if I get similar, and this might explain why I've noticed this 'phenomena' with runners etc.

If this is the case why would S-AF and C-AF differ? :confused:

I decided a while back that I wanted the AF module checking as I've thought there's been an issue, but this has confounded it. Trouble is I need the camera for the London Marathon so will wait until after then.

I really need to get a new set of barbel sticks, my Chimeras are probably about 13 years old now and I have battered them. They've been soo good that I haven't ever contemplated changing but they're a bit soft these days. I assume you use Harrison blanks?

Aye, Harrison's. I don't think there's anything better than Chimeras, even now, for barbel. I built mine in 2004 and they've been abused and stood on!

One of the bigger gudgeon from today - linky. :LOL:

Better get back on topic!

Anyone else use the quiet continuous mode? It's my default setting.

OK so update tonight is that the 85mm only needs +12 tonight. I tend to be pretty consistent in my tests so I don't know what's changed. I do think my D750 is a bit fubar though as I've thought focus has shifted on other lenses before, but put it down to user error. This time though I've not moved the tripod between tests so was in exactly the same place as before. I always rack focus to infinity before I AF on charts. What I've also noticed is that when focus is set with S-AF so it's bang on, it front focuses with C-AF. I've noticed it doing this with sports and just put it down to it being the way it is with moving subjects as the actual subject been sharp. But if I look at a runner for example the back leg can be starting to leave the zone of focus but there's quite a bit of ground in front of the runner that's still within the zone of focus. Testing this 85mm I did put it on C-AF out of curiosity on a static subject. S-AF needs +12, C-AF needs +20. I'm going to try it on my 70-200mm tomorrow to see if I get similar, and this might explain why I've noticed this 'phenomena' with runners etc.

I decided a while back that I wanted the AF module checking as I've thought there's been an issue, but this has confounded it. Trouble is I need the camera for the London Marathon so will wait until after then.
Interesting indeed. Anyone else found this? I always use AF-C, but haven't done detailed tests detailyet.
Look forward to your further tests and observation?

Got mine opened last night and had a quick play with it. Set up back button focus and had a quick run through the menus. Its not as big or heavy as I expected.
We are away for 3 nights in the caravan over the weekend beside the sea and the Mourne Mountains so hopefully I will be able to get a chance to have a good look at it.

Try turning focus tracking down or off?

Why would you use af-c for fine tuning?

Asking for a mate...

I did, because that's the focus mode I use all the time, so I thought I should fine tune it in the same mode. BBF though, so there's no real difference between the modes.

I know we all like a bit of screen protector talk so....

I highly recommend this...

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/ar...lass-screen-protector-nikon-d750-2712076.html

Its really thin, so much so that I was convinced it was not glass, but having put the first top screen protector on with half my cats hair under it (I bought 2) I tried bending it and it eventually snapped!

Both rear and top protectors are frameless, crystal clear and perfect fit, so much so, you dont even know they are they.

Ships from Germany at no extra cost and cheap too!

Why would you use af-c for fine tuning?

Asking for a mate...
I didn't use C-AF for the charts etc was just an observation when doing some test shots, so played about with MA to see what gave sharp shots. As I said I'd noticed that phenomena before with runners but just assumed it was the way it was with moving targets, but now starting to think there's something weird going off.

Got to say this 85mm is a bit hit and miss with AF. Noticed it with fast primes on this camera, but this is probably the worst to date.

The are some advice on this inter-webby type thing that you shouldn't fine tune your lens. TBH if that's the case why do camera manufacturer's put the option on the camera.

Anyway, how is everyone fine tuning. Do you all have devices to focus on?

The are some advice on this inter-webby type thing that you shouldn't fine tune your lens. TBH if that's the case why do camera manufacturer's put the option on the camera.

I used the centre of my eco-fan against the silver flue, so nice and contrasty. Seems to work fine. You can print off focus charts as well though, and DOT tune takes no time at all.

I've never heard of the DOT method. Will have to look that up and give it a go when I get home.

My last 85 was bang on out of the box, very consistand too. The previous one needed a little MA but still consistant.
Here's a series of 7 shots (1:1 crops) I took of an elephant ornament this morning approx 4m away from me showing the variation in AF-S from shot to shot. What you may also see is that some shots have really bad fringing too :confused: I noticed it doing the test charts that every now and again that some had really bad purple fringing but then others fine, also saw it on the cat's whiskers on some shots too.

DSC_9751_zpsgovznbcm.jpg

DSC_9750_zpsdsswihqs.jpg

DSC_9749_zpss6ktmbf5.jpg

DSC_9748_zpsymseijkm.jpg

DSC_9747_zpshieyikms.jpg

DSC_9746_zpsxalruf55.jpg

DSC_9745_zps9gf3fyjb.jpg

Before I give up the ghost on this lens and send it back I'll try cleaning the contacts, what's the best way of doing this (cloth, brish, lenspen etc)?

Last edited:
Before I give up the ghost on this lens and send it back I'll try cleaning the contacts, what's the best way of doing this (cloth, brish, lenspen etc)?
Lint free cloth and some IPA (actually I use cotton buds - not exactly lint free but hey ho ;))

I use three methods just to be sure ;) I use this method http://photo.net/learn/focustest/. I also use the DOT tune method, but after doing the DOT tune I also just take pics of the chart I use for DOT tune at different MA's and see which gives the sharpest results.

I know we all like a bit of screen protector talk so....

I highly recommend this...

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/ar...lass-screen-protector-nikon-d750-2712076.html

Its really thin, so much so that I was convinced it was not glass, but having put the first top screen protector on with half my cats hair under it (I bought 2) I tried bending it and it eventually snapped!

Both rear and top protectors are frameless, crystal clear and perfect fit, so much so, you dont even know they are they.

Ships from Germany at no extra cost and cheap too!

Just Ordered one, worth a try. Cheers.

Just did a Dot tune on my 85 F1.8G. It is now set to +9. This lens is known for bad CA, but the images produced are great.

Just Ordered one, worth a try. Cheers.

It is good - was a bit worried when mine arrived and it seemed a bit out of shape but it went on great with no bubbles!

I bought Reikan Focal pro when I was trying to tune my lenses.
Bit of a chore TBH, but it does work.
Apart from finding out what MA adjustment needed, it also shows graphs on focus reliability, amongst other things.
It's quite an eye opener.
Interestingly, although I don't have an 85 , my D type lenses were more consistent when repeating focus than the G type lenses.
Never quite worked that one out !
Focus tuning is a PITA generally. I don't do it unless I notice an obvious problem.

Don't let Nikon touch the AF module!

Don't let Nikon touch the AF module!
I remember that yours has been a nightmare. I believe they've adjusted it once as don't they re-align it during the flare issue fix?

So I've been playing with the 85mm all afternoon trying to get it set right, and in the process filled a 32GB card up :eek: Anyway, unfortunately I'm going to have to return it as I can set it so that AF-C is pretty consistent, but AF-S is very hit and miss, If AF-S is set to be more consistent (although still misses on in every 5 or 6) then AF-C is very soft. Tried my 70-200mm and it's bang on every time whether AF-S or AF-C so my theory about my camera front focussing with AF-C was wrong ;)

Shame about the 85mm as I got a good deal and is mint :(

Back