Nikon D750 & D780

I assume everyone has seen that the Google nik collection is now free?

Nice one, thanks for this. Something else to learn, still haven't spent much time with PS yet :facepalm: :LOL:

Yes had nik before Google took over I quite like it

Right, I'm being thick with this dot fine tune lark. I've set camera on tripod, focused onto a contrasty image and the set to manual. When I change to plus or minus 20 I still have the confirmation of focus where I was expecting it to fail at that range. Clearly, I am doing summat wrong but I've no idea....help, please.

Right, I'm being thick with this dot fine tune lark. I've set camera on tripod, focused onto a contrasty image and the set to manual. When I change to plus or minus 20 I still have the confirmation of focus where I was expecting it to fail at that range. Clearly, I am doing summat wrong but I've no idea....help, please.

Lens wide open? Manual focus?

Same as me too glad am not only. Also glad you asked lol as I didn't want start something else after my questions about lens lol

Same as me too glad am not only. Also glad you asked lol as I didn't want start something else after my questions about lens lol

Which lens, what aperture and what distance are you focussing from? Obviously if DOF is large enough the confirmation will still show.

24-70 at 70 end. F2.8 and about 4 foot away which is less than the x50 guide
Hmm odd. Do you select OK to register the MA adjustment each time or just move the direction pad up and down. The 'new' MA won't register unless you press OK and thus come out of the menu with the adjustment scale on.

No press ok. I assume it is the Saved value setting.

Update. I've moved camera to within a foot and now I do get the flickering dot but this goes away from the x50 theory.

No press ok. I assume it is the Saved value setting.

Update. I've moved camera to within a foot and now I do get the flickering dot but this goes away from the x50 theory.
Yes. I assume you have the option above (AF fine tune) turned on?

Yep. I have to set it up as high as 20 before it starts flickering. I'm now about 8 inches away from the image. I've also put it down to minus 20 and it still shows a solid dot.

Looks like I get a range of +13 to -20 which I was expecting to get a smaller range as the range I am getting is pretty pointless.

Yep. I have to set it up as high as 20 before it starts flickering. I'm now about 8 inches away from the image. I've also put it down to minus 20 and it still shows a solid dot.

Looks like I get a range of +13 to -20 which I was expecting to get a smaller range as the range I am getting is pretty pointless.

You have to be pretty observant as it may just flicker for a nanosecond at the start and then be a solid dot, but this is a negative result. Also, it needs to be stable for several seconds.

Based on your findings I'd be setting it at -3 or -4. Have you tried this and do you get consistently sharp images?

You could compare it to the other method I posted to see if they agree.

I would like to say that this is my first shot with my new D750 but that would be a lie. The first shot was because i hit the shutter accidentally resulting in an oof shot of our table top. The second was with flash attached but shutter speed was too high and the shutter blocks out half the image. And the third is completely black as the flash didn't recycle fast enough and i mistakenly had it in continuous high shooting mode when taking the second. This is the fourth shot with my new D750:D. Onwards and upwards, off to RTFM.

Lucas Day 312 by Philip Blair, on Flickr

I would like to say that this is my first shot with my new D750 but that would be a lie. The first shot was because i hit the shutter accidentally resulting in an oof shot of our table top. The second was with flash attached but shutter speed was too high and the shutter blocks out half the image. And the third is completely black as the flash didn't recycle fast enough and i mistakenly had it in continuous high shooting mode when taking the second. This is the fourth shot with my new D750:D. Onwards and upwards, off to RTFM.

Lucas Day 312 by Philip Blair, on Flickr
:ROFLMAO:

Nice pic. I take it your flash doesn't support HSS?

Interesting. I was wondering whether mine is similar or whether it's unfamiliarity with a new system. I seem to be getting a lot of misses with the 85 when wide open and using corner focus points with AF-C.

Had this with mine too. Seems better on the 610. It was noted that whilst micro adjusting it, using dot tune, there were some inconsistencies locking in and I couldn't quite get to the bottom of it. I subsequently used it for a shoot I did exclusively last autumn and for the first time, it didn't miss a beat, so I have persevered since. I've only used it at home for studio use, so in AF-S since, but if I do find any issues later on I will send it away for calibration. Unless there's something more in it..

Oh well you have had 12 months :) - I would be annoyed as well though. How did you rate it ? Cheers

I'm not too bothered tbf, I don't use it that much other than for the odd landscape or black and white. Silver Efex is a great solution for mono. I used to have it years ago when I had a Windows PC but didn't buy for the Mac straight away. It's well worth having even for the £95 I paid for it.

They're refunded purchases made less than 12 months ago @Livin The Dream

Just checked, bought last April so I shall see what happens...

You have to be pretty observant as it may just flicker for a nanosecond at the start and then be a solid dot, but this is a negative result. Also, it needs to be stable for several seconds.

Based on your findings I'd be setting it at -3 or -4. Have you tried this and do you get consistently sharp images?

You could compare it to the other method I posted to see if they agree.
I'm going to put it bag to zero again! Thanks for your help though.

I'm not too bothered tbf, I don't use it that much other than for the odd landscape or black and white. Silver Efex is a great solution for mono. I used to have it years ago when I had a Windows PC but didn't buy for the Mac straight away. It's well worth having even for the £95 I paid for it.

Just checked, bought last April so I shall see what happens...

Well you should be getting £95 back! Not to be sniffed at!

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that tells me which AF points are active (and which if any are cross type) with different aperture lenses, and also which are f8 points please as I can't find it in the manual? There's a section that tells you which AF points are active with different TC's and so I guess you can work out from this the AF points at different apertures, but it still doesn't distinguish the cross type that are available with different aperture lenses.

I'd email them explaining that you're not very happy and see what they say. Worth a punt IMO.

ha ha.... after I've been touting it as the best bit of 'menu driven post-processing" software ever coded? They'll lock me up!

I found silver efex crashes way too much on my pc, so stopped using it. But for free (y)

Dot tune u tube vid note says for Nikon do NOT use manual focus :)

Here`s a Goose
Splash Down by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Dot tune u tube vid note says for Nikon do NOT use manual focus :)

Must have missed that bit :confused: But I don't get that, once you've set focus using liveview if you don't then set to manual then every time you half press the shutter it's just going to refocus,which you don't want it to do :confused: OK so I noticed that the Nikon spot did start 'working' even without half press so I guess you don't need to half press the shutter anyway, but I did for belt and braces ;) I set mine to MF after focussing with LV and it worked fine for me, and the results correlated exactly with my other method.

Yes, the dot is always present or some symbol is to signify focus. The other thing is that if you use live view then the fine tune option is greyed out.

Out of interest, what were everyone else's range of numbers, especially for the 24-70? I was expecting a range of 4-5 numbers and not the -20 - 13 I was getting.

Back