Nikon D750 & D780

Thought you'd ask that......lol. I believe the S version has slightly better iq, better build quality and generally has the edge over the C. I appreciate it's more money, they say it's heavier alright, but not bad enough to put you off buying one. You'll obviously get used to it.....
You're probably right, I thought the Tammy was a heavy beast at first but now, as posted above, I can hold the camera up to my eye for several minutes at a time without needing to rest my arms.

I've just had a look and the sport certainly has come down in price since I was looking, wasn't it up around the £1500 mark initially (Amazon price)?

Hmmm not a bad price if you purchase both eh...! So with the 1.4TC attached takes it to an f/6.3 lens....? What would the 1.4TC turn the 150-600mm into length wise then...?
It loses one stop of light (f9?) so it takes it beyond the f8 limit, that said it would likely work in good light. It would be 210-840mm with the teleconverter.

I've been quite happy with my tammy too, but I don't use it much. Doing RIAT this year and that was one of the main reasons I had it. The Sigma S is a tank, but picked the tammy up for £640 at the time so no brainer for a novelty lens for me.

So people. Fancying the sigma 150-600. Contemporary or sport?

Big difference in IQ? I know there's a big weight difference.

Hi Shaheed,

I had the same dilemma last year but ultimately chose the Sigma Sport for its build quality as much as anything else. Yes, it's heavy but it's not unmanageable by any means. A few people use theirs on monopods but I prefer to handhold mine. On the D750, it's a really potent lens and I've been really happy with it. :)

I haven't bothered using a teleconverter with it simply because I can chuck it on my D7200 if I need more reach. :)
Whether you choose the Sport or Contemporary version, I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed.

Cheers,
Si

Hi Shaheed,

I had the same dilemma last year but ultimately chose the Sigma Sport for its build quality as much as anything else. Yes, it's heavy but it's not unmanageable by any means. A few people use theirs on monopods but I prefer to handhold mine. On the D750, it's a really potent lens and I've been really happy with it. :)

I haven't bothered using a teleconverter with it simply because I can chuck it on my D7200 if I need more reach. :)
Whether you choose the Sport or Contemporary version, I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed.

Cheers,
Si
How long do you reckon you can hold it before needing a rest? Do you find that you build up your ability to hand hold or does it always feel heavy?

How long do you reckon you can hold it before needing a rest? Do you find that you build up your ability to hand hold or does it always feel heavy?

Probably a couple of minutes at most but it's rare when that happens. Most of what I shoot means that it spends a lot of time either on the bag or hanging from my shoulder on a Black Rapid. :)

I had it on my shoulder for 8 hours on Monday and despite having a sore shoulder at the end of the day, it certainly wasn't uncomfortable to carry. If weight really is an issue, the Contemporary is probably the better bet. If you want durability, go for the Sport. When I shot the Wales GB Rally last winter, that lens (and the D750) got rained on constantly and never let me down. For me, that made the price difference worth it. :)

Yep lots of times mate, and I can`t fault their service. My Tamron 15-30 which had a fault was dealt with rapidly. As for descriptions, yeah they are pretty accurate :)

Did you return the Tamron for a refund due to a fault? They have one now which I'm considering, but it maybe your faulty one? How do you find the lens?

@Swanseajack - meant to say, I've managed only a handful of photos with your old lens but in those few times it's delivered in absolute spades. Cracking value piece of glass - probably only real downside for how I use it is the susceptibility to lens flare but that's a small price to pay for an otherwise stonking little lens :)

Probably a couple of minutes at most but it's rare when that happens. Most of what I shoot means that it spends a lot of time either on the bag or hanging from my shoulder on a Black Rapid. :)

I had it on my shoulder for 8 hours on Monday and despite having a sore shoulder at the end of the day, it certainly wasn't uncomfortable to carry. If weight really is an issue, the Contemporary is probably the better bet. If you want durability, go for the Sport. When I shot the Wales GB Rally last winter, that lens (and the D750) got rained on constantly and never let me down. For me, that made the price difference worth it. :)

This may be the answer. I have been looking at the black rapid for a while now. I may buy one when i get the lens.

Did you configure much with the dock?

It's definitely worth having... I'd be lost without my Black Rapid! :)

I haven't configured a great deal to be honest. I've created a C1 profile for the fast-moving stuff I tend to photograph but that mainly involved telling the lens to ignore anything closer than 30m and having the OS on the dynamic setting. :)

Cheers. Your posts have been really helpful.

With the d750 are you stopping down a bit for more sharpness and bumping the iso or do you tend to use it wide open?

You're welcome mate. Glad I could be of help. :)

On the D750, I generally shoot on manual with the aperture stopped down to f/8 (for that extra bit of sharpness). I also use Auto-ISO up to 6400 so that I'm free to choose whatever shutter speed I want. It seems to work well enough for me. It's a bit like having ISO Priority. :D

You're welcome mate. Glad I could be of help. :)

On the D750, I generally shoot on manual with the aperture stopped down to f/8 (for that extra bit of sharpness). I also use Auto-ISO up to 6400 so that I'm free to choose whatever shutter speed I want. It seems to work well enough for me. It's a bit like having ISO Priority. :D

That seems like a great way of shooting. One for the custom shooting setting on the d750!

I guess you're very happy with it. Doesn't leave you yearning for a prime with teleconverters?

... I guess you're very happy with it. Doesn't leave you yearning for a prime with teleconverters?

I've been down that route before... I used to use a 5DMKIII and a 300mm f/2.8 L IS and a couple of teleconverters. Whilst I admit that I've lost a bit of image quality since I got rid of them, I'm certainly not unhappy with the D750/150-600S combination. :)

So I've managed to find some 85mm's. Can get a new Nikon f1.8G for circa £360, a "good condition" (clean optics with very small amount of dust and very minor cosmetic marks) Sigma f1.4 with 6M warranty, both caps, case and hood for £400, or an ex demo Sigma f1.4 with clean optics and very minor cosmetic marks boxed, hood caps, case and 3 yr UK warranty for £550. Decision decision ;) I'm actually tempted by the more used Sigma and saving a bit of money.

So I've managed to find some 85mm's. Can get a new Nikon f1.8G for circa £360, a "good condition" (clean optics with very small amount of dust and very minor cosmetic marks) Sigma f1.4 with 6M warranty, both caps, case and hood for £400, or an ex demo Sigma f1.4 with clean optics and very minor cosmetic marks boxed, hood caps, case and 3 yr UK warranty for £550. Decision decision ;) I'm actually tempted by the more used Sigma and saving a bit of money.

Have you put a wanted notice in the classifieds?

If you get a second hand 1.8g you'd probably be able to sell it on if you wanted to get the art at a later date.

Half tempted to do this myself!

I bought an f1.8G a couple of months back from AV forums but focus was very hit and miss and so sent it back, ideally want the security of a warranty this time around but obviously it depends on price ;)

I bought an f1.8G a couple of months back from AV forums but focus was very hit and miss and so sent it back, ideally want the security of a warranty this time around but obviously it depends on price ;)

If you don't use the focal length much and you're a bit skint, why not get a 85mm 1.8D for around £200 - £250 /https:/www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/

Edit it won't load the page with all 85mm d lenses, heres a nice one > https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...n-fit-lenses/nikon-af-85mm-f-1-8d/sku-617903/

Last edited:
If you don't use the focal length much and you're a bit skint, why not get a 85mm 1.8D for around £200 - £250 /https:/www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/

Edit it won't load the page with all 85mm d lenses, heres a nice one > https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...n-fit-lenses/nikon-af-85mm-f-1-8d/sku-617903/
Well I've just bought that used Sigma f1.4 ;) Boxed with caps, hood and case. Mild cosmetic marks, optically and mechanically fine with only the smallest amount of dust. Got it for £379.99 delivered with 6M warranty so can't grumble at that (assuming it's not ditched when it arrives ;))

So much for avoiding GAS. Another two hard grad filters just ordered... at least they're cheap Koods again (which I love) but I'll still have to intercept postie to avoid admitting I've broken my GAS ban with SWMBO!

SWMBO stopped me in the nick of time yesterday. Just remortgaging at the mo and I was about to pull the trigger on the Sport 150-600 but she said to wait until all the paperwork was through. So close.....

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464960290.116407.jpg

D750, our respective mugs and the sigma 50 art. Nothing special with this pic, just makes me laugh!!

SWMBO stopped me in the nick of time yesterday. Just remortgaging at the mo and I was about to pull the trigger on the Sport 150-600 but she said to wait until all the paperwork was through. So close.....

View attachment 65995

D750, our respective mugs and the sigma 50 art. Nothing special with this pic, just makes me laugh!!

Very sensible sir!

But hard to do... I'm also wondering what goodies I should treat myself to when my GAS ban is finally lifted. I also have a 40th birthday present to choose next month - for some reason she rejected my suggestion of a Patek Philippe watch so maybe a new lens instead?

Very sensible sir!

But hard to do... I'm also wondering what goodies I should treat myself to when my GAS ban is finally lifted. I also have a 40th birthday present to choose next month - for some reason she rejected my suggestion of a Patek Philippe watch so maybe a new lens instead?

With having time to think about it......toyed with the idea of getting a 135 f2 dc instead. BUT I've got the 70-200 vr2 and the 150-600 gives me a lot I don't already have. Coupled with the fact I will almost certainly get the sigma 85 art whence it's released.

Did somebody mention GAS!!!

Last edited:
Very sensible sir!

I've just had my 39th Birthday so I've told my wife she needs to get saving now for my 40th :p I'm sure a new 'D750' will be out by then :LOL:

With having time to think about it......toyed with the idea of getting a 135 f2 dc instead. BUT I've got the 70-200 vr2 and the 150-600 gives me a lot I don't already have. Coupled with the fact I will almost certainly get the sigma 85 art whence it's released.

Did somebody mention GAS!!!

I want someone to release a new 135, I'd have it instantly, the DC version is just too dated IMO. I need a 24-70 first and then the 70-200 v2 and I'll be back to where I was before I switched. Might chop the tammy in back end of the summer for one of those as it really is a novelty lens for me.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a 135. It must be quite high in demand.

Back