Nikon D750 & D780

I know this is thread is d750 and that's what it about but now I've read the Nikon Rumers about the d7200 I've now got a small reservations

It would save me a fortune on the upgrade as all my kit is Crop kit and the rumours of the spec put it as the crop equivalent of the d750

It's going to be a massive decision for me and I know the d750 has owsome noise handling power which I need for Astro stuff so I think my next step will still be my gut feeling to jump to the d750 not step to the d7200 but the spec of the d7200 is mega appealing the only thing it may do is put me off ordering the d750 until the official release of the d7200 so I can see the confirmed spec

I know this is thread is d750 and that's what it about but now I've read the Nikon Rumers about the d7200 I've now got a small reservations

It would save me a fortune on the upgrade as all my kit is Crop kit and the rumours of the spec put it as the crop equivalent of the d750

It's going to be a massive decision for me and I know the d750 has owsome noise handling power which I need for Astro stuff so I think my next step will still be my gut feeling to jump to the d750 not step to the d7200 but the spec of the d7200 is mega appealing the only thing it may do is put me off ordering the d750 until the official release of the d7200 so I can see the confirmed spec

Ill make it simple for you. Its still going to be an APSC sensor.

New FW
  • When shooting with an optional Speedlight and auto FP high-speed sync enabled with On selected for ISO sensitivity settings > Auto ISO sensitivity control in the photo shooting menu, images were sometimes over-exposed. This issue has been resolved. (Enabling auto FP high-speed sync: Select 1/200 s (Auto FP) or 1/250 s (Auto FP) for Custom Setting e1: Flash sync speed).

• When menus were displayed with the camera connected to a 4K-compatible TV via HDMI, display in both the camera monitor and on the TV was not correct. This issue has been resolved.

• Noise that could sometimes be heard when Custom Setting d1: Beep was set to any option other than Off has been reduced.

@Swanseajack Whats happening with your D750 situation mate? Are you getting a replacement?

Tina came back to me yesterday and said they couldn't guarantee Christmas delivery, so I asked for a refund which was processed in a couple of hours. I didn't fancy the camera sitting in a possibly damp warehouse / airport for a couple of weeks, as out of Panamoz's control. I will re-order one when things are up and running again after New Year.

To add to my post earlier about their service, for me its been nothing short of excellent. A sign of good customer service is when things go wrong. If anybody has any doubts about buying from them, dont!

Last edited:
Just logged into Nikon service and repair page and mine is now listed as "Your equipment is awaiting repair."

Spoke to customer services because mine is a grey and i wasnt given a quote for repair work to be undertaken and the good lady said she is 99% sure it will be done under warranty regardless of it's origin

Just logged into Nikon service and repair page and mine is now listed as "Your equipment is awaiting repair."

Spoke to customer services because mine is a grey and i wasnt given a quote for repair work to be undertaken and the good lady said she is 99% sure it will be done under warranty regardless of it's origin

Good job Nikon. Hopefully they give you a summary of whats up with it.

Tina came back to me yesterday and said they couldn't guarantee Christmas delivery, so I asked for a refund which was processed in a couple of hours. I didn't fancy the camera sitting in a possibly damp warehouse / airport for a couple of weeks, as out of Panamoz's control. I will re-order one when things are up and running again after New Year.

To add to my post earlier about their service, for me its been nothing short of excellent. A sign of good customer service is when things go wrong. If anybody has any doubts about buying from them, dont!

Same with me, mine is sitting here awaiting collection to go back. I will be ordering another, but not until the new year. Good to hear the refund was prompt.

I got my second body delivered, serial numbers are a fair bit apart lol. The Sigma 35 is an absolute beauty on these cameras. The performance of the 50 looks exactly the same

I got my second body delivered, serial numbers are a fair bit apart lol. The Sigma 35 is an absolute beauty on these cameras. The performance of the 50 looks exactly the same

I'm not at all surprised the S/Ns? The D750s / D810s have been flying of the shelves since launch. It will be interesting to see Nikons DSLRs sales figures next year. Up until now DSLR sales have taken a nose dive.

Last edited:
Same with me, mine is sitting here awaiting collection to go back. I will be ordering another, but not until the new year. Good to hear the refund was prompt.

Further thought on these refunds. Are they refunding the money after the couriers have collected the camera and they have notification of this? I think I have read this somewhere when they send a replacement item.?

Mine was collected on Friday afternoon, then @ 05.50hrs on the Monday (UK Time) I had an email from Tina asking me what I wanted to do, a refund or replacement. Thats one quick service, to receive the camera back and test. TNT told me it would take 5-7 days to arrive back in HK.

Last edited:
Further thought on these refunds. Are they refunding the money after the couriers have collected the camera and they have notification of this? I think I have read this somewhere when they send a replacement item.?

Mine was collected on Friday afternoon, then @ 05.50hrs on the Monday (UK Time) I had an email from Tina asking me what I wanted to do, a refund or replacement. Thats one quick service, to receive the camera back and test. TNT told me it would take 5-7 days to arrive back in HK.
The money is refunded when it arrives back in Hong Kong and the camera is checked over to make sure its not been damaged

Gary thanks for the confirmation. It's been a very quick service from them.

Last edited:

The money is refunded when it arrives back in Hong Kong and the camera is checked over to make sure its not been damaged

Good to know thanks. Just checked and since Wednesday mine has only made it to Leige, being held as 'dangerous goods', presumably due to the battery. I did include all the battery doc provided by Tina, very frustrating.

Good to know thanks. Just checked and since Wednesday mine has only made it to Leige, being held as 'dangerous goods', presumably due to the battery. I did include all the battery doc provided by Tina, very frustrating.

Was the battery in the body or loose? She told me to put battery in body, also had the dangerous goods label from them, although TNT classed it as non-dangerous on there label / documents.

Last edited:
Was the battery in the body or loose? She told me to put battery in body, also had the dangerous goods label from them, although TNT classed it as non-dangerous on there label / documents.

battery was in the body as requested, funny that the inbound value was stated as $116, on the return trip its increased to $3500...

DOH! Hopefully a random check and won't be held up for much longer. Checked my tracking, the camera went through 4 different processes at Leige.

Tin hat time with the figures?

Almost every forum I have ever joined has its trolls.... it's an Internet disease that infects every forum. As a newcomer to Talk Photography it is disappointing to see this is no different from others, especially this thread.

I have a personal rule; never let forum trolls affect my decisions...... after reading this forum from end to end over a period of several days I have happily placed an order for a 'grey' D750 despite the trolling. If by some remote chance my D750 is faulty when it arrives , I am confident it will be fixed under warranty. I am sure once my D750 arrives I will have lots of questions from members of this forum.

Almost every forum I have ever joined has its trolls.... it's an Internet disease that infects every forum. As a newcomer to Talk Photography it is disappointing to see this is no different from others, especially this thread.

I have a personal rule; never let forum trolls affect my decisions...... after reading this forum from end to end over a period of several days I have happily placed an order for a 'grey' D750 despite the trolling. If by some remote chance my D750 is faulty when it arrives , I am confident it will be fixed under warranty. I am sure once my D750 arrives I will have lots of questions from members of this forum.

Its a brilliant camera dude. Any questions, fire away! Enjoy when you get it pal

Will most likely being getting a grey D750 in the new year. But Mrs TGR says I need to sell the D700 first. Fair enough.
Question from this'd who have a D750.
Rockwell suggests that the AF nails the front eye in portraits, something my D700 often struggles to do so, does it?
And is there much I'll miss from my D700? Such as the high (round) eye point or the ability to quickly change from auto to single focus points with my thumb. Maybe I will not need to anymore. And I guess a lot of my accessories will no longer work.GP1, corded release and of course the MB-D10.
Thanks

One question I already have regards choosing a suitable lens. We are booked on the Norwegian Coastal voyage in February next year, I want to try & take some photos of the Northern Lights. As we are going to be onboard a ship, I cannot guarantee a completely stable platform to use a tripod for long exposures, so I was intending using the high ISO performance of the D750 with a fast wide-angle lens to minimize exposure time. I was thinking about buying a Nikon 20mm F1.8, has anyone any comments about this lens, or any recommendations of alternatives to use? I have ordered the D750 with a 24-120mm F4 lens for general use but I wanted something faster & a bit wider too.

Finally made my mind up to go with the D750 after going backwards and forwards between the D610 and D810. The D750, for me at least, sits comfortably the two, better focus point spread and AF system than the D610, not the huge file size of the D810. My question though, is coming from a DX system (D7000 and back up D90, the D7000 will now be my back up and main birding camera I suppose and I will part with the D90) what to buy as a walkabout lens for the new D750?
I do have a few FX lenses so I already have a few options covered:-
Nikon 50mm f1.8G
Nikon 70-300mm VR
Tamron 150-600mm

My DX line up to compliment the above:-
Sigma 10-20mm
Nikon 18-55mm
Nikon 18-70mm
Nikon 18-105mm
Nikon 35mm f1.8 G

I will be buying from Panamoz after the Christmas break and if bought with the D750 body, the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G VR works out an extra £250ish or the 24-120mm f4G VR is another £400ish. Would anyone recommend either of these 2 lenses for those prices or would there be a better alternative for the FX sensor around that price? (they also do the 18-300mm VR too but I would suspect that the IQ from it wouldn't do the 24mp sensor any favors and at £550 extra I think its out of the running.
As a reference I do like the range and IQ of the 18-105mm on my D7000 (not the best IQ I know but IMHO it is far better than its pricepoint would suggest)
Thank you in anticipation

One question I already have regards choosing a suitable lens. We are booked on the Norwegian Coastal voyage in February next year, I want to try & take some photos of the Northern Lights. As we are going to be onboard a ship, I cannot guarantee a completely stable platform to use a tripod for long exposures, so I was intending using the high ISO performance of the D750 with a fast wide-angle lens to minimize exposure time. I was thinking about buying a Nikon 20mm F1.8, has anyone any comments about this lens, or any recommendations of alternatives to use? I have ordered the D750 with a 24-120mm F4 lens for general use but I wanted something faster & a bit wider too.

The Sigma 35mm is utterly amazing on it. Super sharp and plenty wide for most applications

Finally made my mind up to go with the D750 after going backwards and forwards between the D610 and D810. The D750, for me at least, sits comfortably the two, better focus point spread and AF system than the D610, not the huge file size of the D810. My question though, is coming from a DX system (D7000 and back up D90, the D7000 will now be my back up and main birding camera I suppose and I will part with the D90) what to buy as a walkabout lens for the new D750?
Nikon 50mm f1.8G
Nikon 70-300mm VR
Tamron 150-600mm

Sigma 10-20mm
Nikon 18-55mm
Nikon 18-70mm
Nikon 18-105mm
Nikon 35mm f1.8 G

I will be buying from Panamoz after the Christmas break and if bought with the D750 body, the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G VR works out an extra £250ish or the 24-120mm f4G VR is another £400ish. Would anyone recommend either of these 2 lenses for those prices or would there be a better alternative for the FX sensor around that price? (they also do the 18-300mm VR too but I would suspect that the IQ from it wouldn't do the 24mp sensor any favors and at £550 extra I think its out of the running.
As a reference I do like the range and IQ of the 18-105mm on my D7000 (not the best IQ I know but IMHO it is far better than its pricepoint would suggest)

The Tamron 24-70 VC I bought seems very sharp. I think I will mainly be using primes on mine.

DPReview have completed their D750 review and awarded it its top gold award with an overall score of 90%.

Comments are funny. A mix of hopeless negativity and accusations of nikon bias from canon shooters, and hopeless negativity and posturing from disgruntled D600/D610 users who are trying to convince themselves the D750 is no better.

The review has got me thinking about how I set my camera up. Rightly or wrongly I have always just set the basics up on day one and rarely worried about anything other than AF mode and ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture in day to day shooting. I delve deeply into setup when configuring my User settings for shooting Motorsport, but for everything else I pretty much let the camera take care of the peripheries.

Now I'm wondering if I should consider 3D AF tracking instead of always shooting single point AF, (the DPReview video demo of this was mighty impressive) and in particular the metering modes have thrown me somewhat, i.e. it would seem silly to potentially be happy to let highlights go in certain high dynamic range situations, when I could employ some fairly extreme under-exposure and get a far more accurate representation of a scene in post.

I've never, ever shot anything on the basis of 'I will sort it out in LR later' but it would almost seem pointless to not even consider that approach on occasions now.

I'm no stranger to firmware updates with Nikon and updated the D810 without issue yesterday. I then set out to update the FW on the D750. Try as a I may the D750 would not give me the 'update'option from the FW menu screen using a camera formatted SD card in slot one. I then followed the full instructions from Nikon (same procedure as I have always followed nothing new) still nothing and the menu option only gives me the option 'Done' not 'Update'. I then formatted the SD card completely on the computer this time. Dropped the new FW update on to the card and it worked fine. This time I got the 'Update' option and was able to update the new firmware.

I don't consider this to be a major issue but it just took a little lateral thinking in particular when I didn't do anything different from the the D810 update. I use a Mac (iMac) with the latest OSX operating system.

One to bear in mind if you haven't updated your firmware yet. In addition, make sure you have a fully charged battery or power source or the D750/D810 will not allow you to make the change.

Last edited:
Nikon 50mm f1.8G
Nikon 70-300mm VR
Tamron 150-600mm

Sigma 10-20mm
Nikon 18-55mm
Nikon 18-70mm
Nikon 18-105mm
Nikon 35mm f1.8 G

They have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens in stock. I have used it and a few others on here have, it's a cracking lens for the money. Maybe worth considering although it hasn't got VR.

link > http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/t...-ld-aspherical-if-for-nikon-dslr-cameras.html

Last edited:
I had the newer BIM model, although on a D7000 I never had any issues with it. Only lens which I found crap for AF was the Sigma 17-50 f2.8, think I may have had a faulty one.

I had the newer BIM model, although on a D7000 I never had any issues with it. Only lens which I found crap for AF was the Sigma 17-50 f2.8, think I may have had a faulty one.

Surprising, guess it depends on what you shoot. Its a very slow lens compared to Nikon AFS lenses and HSM.

I used just for general lens, I prefered the range on crop. I also had or tried Nikon 35 1.8g, 50 1.8d plus older D lenses, Tamron 17-50, Sigma 17 & 18 -50mm and for me and my uses it was a good lens and I never found slow. Maybe I got a good one.
Its not going to be as good as the newer lenses etc............, but for the price I would buy another. I thank Saheed and Gary had the older non BIM lenses and rated them better.

Back