Nikon D750 & D780

:rolleyes:

Thanks Peter. It's the Vivitar 19-35mm. As for the 24mm... Well... Basically, no. I've cancelled the order today as they're a bunch of jokers. Will get the refund (probably wait 2 months for it to come heough!) and order from somewhere else... Although i could be tempted by a 16-35. :LOL:

STFU.

Was that the one from s***tyelectronics?

I was going to sort out some editing and stuff tonight, but instead I've ended up baking bread. Oops.

What's the going rate for a new D750 from an AD in the UK these days?

My local AD here in Abu Dhabi has a Ramadan special on - £1220. I'm not going to get one cheaper than that am I?

What's the going rate for a new D750 from an AD in the UK these days?

My local AD here in Abu Dhabi has a Ramadan special on - £1220. I'm not going to get one cheaper than that am I?

No official dealership has stock lol they are usually 1395 here. 1220 is just 25 more than grey.

My D750 backup arrived yesterday (D700), it's a tank!

Never owned a full-on pro body before, it's a proper beast (not massive, just very robust). I'm sure there are a million and one comparisons out there but for the price now it seems like a good option. High-ish ISO files are surprisingly clean for an 8 year old camera.

The D750 feels a bit toy-like in comparison but it does hit home how well Nikon nailed the grip and handling of the D750, it feels so much more comfortable than the D700.

Never owned a full-on pro body before, it's a proper beast (not massive, just very robust). I'm sure there are a million and one comparisons out there but for the price now it seems like a good option. High-ish ISO files are surprisingly clean for an 8 year old camera.

The D750 feels a bit toy-like in comparison but it does hit home how well Nikon nailed the grip and handling of the D750, it feels so much more comfortable than the D700.
Never really liked the D700, I just never got on with it, yet I was more than happy to use a D3. Still a damned good camera though.

I thought the same when I just had a go of the D500 - things a beast for a DX body!

I thought the same when I just had a go of the D500 - things a beast for a DX body!

I assumed that the D500 was of similar build to the D750? I looked at the 700 as a back up but ended up with a 610 - about an extra £100 in the end. The 750 does feel a bit more robust away from the improved grip but the IQ is pretty much the same. There's a few niggles, but will do me for a second. I very much doubt I will upgrade when they replace the 750, need a couple of lenses really. 24-70 & 70-200 plus a better 50 than the 1.8G I have is very tempting too... I've been a good boy lately...

I assumed that the D500 was of similar build to the D750? I looked at the 700 as a back up but ended up with a 610 - about an extra £100 in the end. The 750 does feel a bit more robust away from the improved grip but the IQ is pretty much the same. There's a few niggles, but will do me for a second. I very much doubt I will upgrade when they replace the 750, need a couple of lenses really. 24-70 & 70-200 plus a better 50 than the 1.8G I have is very tempting too... I've been a good boy lately...

No it feels much more sturdy IMO. Has the feel and button layout of their other pro bodies (unlike the D750).

If I was shooting fast action or sports I'd seriously consider the D500.

My Sigma 85mm f1.4 seems to be very hits and miss. I know the DOF is very shallow but it completely misses (like the whole thing OOF) quite a lot and it seems to jump between front focus and back focus, far more than just a bit of body movement. I know f1.4's are less accurate and less reliable in AF but by how much are we talking? Would you normally expect it to hit more often than not, or are f1.4's generally hit and miss?

I am wondering if my camera struggles with fast lenses, that's both a used Nikon 85mm f1.8 and Sigma 85mm f1.4 that have had similar issues (more noticeable on the sigma). That being said my 50mm f1.8 is OK. I've done what I can to rule out user error, and I'm used to shallow DOF shooting macro.

Any help appreciated.

My Sigma 85mm f1.4 seems to be very hits and miss. I know the DOF is very shallow but it completely misses (like the whole thing OOF) quite a lot and it seems to jump between front focus and back focus, far more than just a bit of body movement. I know f1.4's are less accurate and less reliable in AF but by how much are we talking? Would you normally expect it to hit more often than not, or are f1.4's generally hit and miss?

I am wondering if my camera struggles with fast lenses, that's both a used Nikon 85mm f1.8 and Sigma 85mm f1.4 that have had similar issues (more noticeable on the sigma). That being said my 50mm f1.8 is OK. I've done what I can to rule out user error, and I'm used to shallow DOF shooting macro.

Any help appreciated.

Apologies if you've already done this, but have you shot in live view?

Why don't you use a lens you know works and then go from there. Maybe your body is faulty. I know at f1.8 85mm mine never misses focus by much, certainly never all OOF

Apologies if you've already done this, but have you shot in live view?

It doesn't work...

I shot in live view with my sigma. Is it just this particular lens?

Perhaps it's one of the earlier versions?

Thanks for the replies. As Minnnt says it doesn't work. I didn't realise there were different versions or old/new versions where liveview does/doesn't work. How do you know if you have an old or new one?

Just don more tests and I think there's a decentering issue. At first I thought it was something wrong with the far right AF point as I noticed that the missed shots were when using this AF point (when I had the lens in the portrait orientation), but I've just done the brick wall tests and here's the results.

Left side of the frame
Screen%20Shot%202016-06-08%20at%2020.23.47_zpsxnx1qkvs.png

Right side of the frame.
Screen%20Shot%202016-06-08%20at%2020.23.34_zpswfj43wkp.png

Any help appreciated.

Well my camera is due back Friday so will have some 1.4 goodness to play with. Will see what results I get - as this is my first jump in to 1.4!

Thanks for the replies. As Minnnt says it doesn't work. I didn't realise there were different versions or old/new versions where liveview does/doesn't work. How do you know if you have an old or new one?

Just don more tests and I think there's a decentering issue. At first I thought it was something wrong with the far right AF point as I noticed that the missed shots were when using this AF point (when I had the lens in the portrait orientation), but I've just done the brick wall tests and here's the results.

Left side of the frame

Right side of the frame.
Doesn't look right. Send it back and get the 85 f 1.8g. you won't worry about sharpness.

Can't, I've just made the ferment, so it'll be a few days until I can actually have a loaf of sourdough.

I made some rye bread the other day though, pain de campagne there's a pic on my instagram https://www.instagram.com/andy_dane/

Nice - I used to do a fair bit of sourdough but just couldn't keep the discipline to keep the starter going for more than a couple of months. Awesome crusts though.

Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice is possibly the best ever book written on bread baking. Pretty much seminal if you're into that kind of thing (y)

Left side of the frame

Right side of the frame.

Right side looks pretty bad. Have you stuck on another lens and done same test?

Nice - I used to do a fair bit of sourdough but just couldn't keep the discipline to keep the starter going for more than a couple of months. Awesome crusts though.

Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice is possibly the best ever book written on bread baking. Pretty much seminal if you're into that kind of thing (y)
I've been following some of Richard Bertinets books, nice and easy to follow, and work the dough rather than kneading it. Leaves the bread nice and light :)

Doesn't look right. Send it back and get the 85 f 1.8g. you won't worry about sharpness.

Good shout.

Tamron 85 is coming down a bit too (grey), and reviews seem good.

Right side looks pretty bad. Have you stuck on another lens and done same test?

Thanks. Deffo going back, just done it again stood slightly further back and here's the results. Right mid frame (1/3 line) first, left mid frame 2nd

85mm%20RHS_zpst6p8gpgw.png

85mm%20LHS_zpsuhrfcdap.png

And just to compare, here's the 24-120mm f4 at f4. Right mid frame first, left mid frame second. I know DOF is much larger, but there's no hint of an issue from what I can see with the 24-120mm
24-120mm%20RHS_zpsgrxm62kc.png

24-120mm%20LHS_zpslo0laq0r.png

Back