Nikon D750 & D780

@T_J_G - Thanks, he gets his looks from his mother, that's for sure!

I really like that last shot - the people really seem to 'pop'! They should be very happy with their photos, you've done a very good job! :)

@T_J_G - Thanks, he gets his looks from his mother, that's for sure!

I really like that last shot - the people really seem to 'pop'! They should be very happy with their photos, you've done a very good job! :)

Thank you! I co-shot it with a friend, I know he's delivered the images but not heard from B&G yet. Hopefully they like them!

I've tried all different AF-C modes and still find single point the best and most predictable. That being said I have attempted very few BIF and still trying to decide on the best setting for that. But for motorsports, cycling, running, other wildlife single point AF works best for me. 3D AF actually works really well, and if it had face detection attached to it I would use it for running and cycling etc, however as it is even if I focus on the face to start with the AF point will inevitably move onto the torso and so depending on subject distance, aperture etc the face might not be as sharp as you'd like. For motorsport though this isn't so much of an issue and I do plan on trying 3D again next weekend at Donnington if the weather holds out.

Ditto for me - single point AF-C, but that's for kids more than anything else. Works very well and the only time it's laggy is when I'm using a lens with slower AF.

Martin, (said facetiously) aren't you going to get dinged for taking photos of other people's kids?

Not really. It's always a great day and with a few people with proper cameras most of the mum's approach me asking to have a look / ooooo can you take a pic of mine. Today was a free policey of do what you want. Normally in school premises they ask not to put stuff on FB. It's a nice world in Cornwall.

Just had a Vivitar 19-35mm lens delivered today. Bought off eBay as faulty and described as will not AF but will MF. Seeing as the depth of field would be so wide with this lens and focus would not be that critical I though I'd give it a go, nothing to lose.
Slapped it onto my D750 and it performs perfectly, I can only assume that it had been tried on a camera body with no inbuilt motor. The lens outperforms its price tag even if I had paid £70+. Really happy and all this for the princely sum of £10.

It's a great lens mate, you got a bargain!!

@ukaskew the 3d tracking is quite good for cars (assuming that's what you'll be shooting anyway) and group is quite good too. AF-C d9 or d21 single shot is my go to setting though. It's just what I'm used to.

Can confirm that the 24mm is sex. Will post a few pics tomorrow as I've only just got in from shooting.

G'night.

Not really. It's always a great day and with a few people with proper cameras most of the mum's approach me asking to have a look / ooooo can you take a pic of mine. Today was a free policey of do what you want. Normally in school premises they ask not to put stuff on FB. It's a nice world in Cornwall.

Oh, that's cool that you got a free day to do that! Beautiful! Can't imagine not being able to do that. Fortunately, I get paid a small stipend to do exactly that - take photos of kids at school so that they can be posted to social media. Again fortunately, the parents all sign off on allowing their kids to be photographed throughout the year.

Ah well, Panamoz prices shoot up overnight! Might hang fire until later in the year now for the £ to settle down!

Ah well, Panamoz prices shoot up overnight! Might hang fire until later in the year now for the £ to settle down!
I think everything is going to get a bit more expensive over the next few months until the exchange rate calms down. Hope no one is going aboard on holiday soon.

Panamoz - Only looked at a fuji lens but same price as last week, think I might order it now

Yeah Panomoz - what with the D750 shortages over here I can see it getting higher by the day!

That makes sense and I did try to caveat it with "I'm being ultrapicky" and the comments were only aimed at the photographing of food. I do a LOT of cooking (mostly classical French but also some Indian and Asian influence) and when I cook for eating it's about maximising the flavours I want, so using the right technique to impart flavour is essential - yoghurt is a great carrier because it is an emulsion of a fat component which is a transport for hydrophobic flavour compounds such as capsaicin and a water-based component for the rest. Only downside is, like milk and most creams, that emulsion will split when heated enough. Which matters not one bit when eating, of course!

And yes, I'd never dare suggest to someone with Indian heritage how to cook basmati :eek: :oops: :$ but hopefully it was a suggestion in terms of photography which made sense!! As a complete aside, do you have any bright ideas how I can cure my wife's slight dislike for proper aged basmati - because she's been telling me for ages that she prefers the taste of the bland mass-processed stuff you buy in small (expensive!) plastic packets!! I just ignore her ;)

No worries. When it comes to basmati, unfortunately, you won't get the best basmati in UK. Basmati rice needs pairing in a complementary way. I think one way you can change your wife's dislike for Basmati is to consider making saffron based chelo rice with butter, jeera rice (mild version), lemon rice etc. The problem with curry is it is sometimes too overwhelming for many.

Possible end to importing cheaper lenses from EU as pound has nosedived. Hope things will stabilise after the initial seismic impact.

I think everything is going to get a bit more expensive over the next few months until the exchange rate calms down. Hope no one is going aboard on holiday soon.

I booked and paid for 10 days in tenerife for the 4 of us in January 2017 just on Tuesday night past. Could have just paid a deposit but I'm glad now I paid the whole thing.

Ordered a Canon 80d on Wed morning from Panamoz (it arrived this morning, can't believe the service) anyway, it's gone up by £95.

I went through a phase of it and still do to a certain extent as i buy and sell flashes when needed/not.

I'm toying with the idea of a Godox at the minute,can't justify the investment,but keep telling myself it would encourage me to do more if I had a bit of decent kit!

Back