Nikon D750 & D780

He's on at least first name terms with the cats!
I've still not learnt the names of them :oops: :$ I know one's called Vladamir but no idea which one :LOL:

The one eating the impala

Bloody hell, that's a stonking shot, really like that, great light, clarity and detail.
Thanks very much. I wasn't too hopeful as the light was crap again, but happy with how this turned out after a bit of extra PP.

What do I need to include when sending my D750 in for the service recall. I was just going to send the body cap, no battery. The fewer things I send the less there is for them to lose.
I bought from Panamoz in July 2015, do I need to include proof of purchase, cos I can't find it?

What do I need to include when sending my D750 in for the service recall. I was just going to send the body cap, no battery. The fewer things I send the less there is for them to lose.
I bought from Panamoz in July 2015, do I need to include proof of purchase, cos I can't find it?

I sent body and body caps, no battery, no memory card. You tick on a list what you're sending in. And I didn't include any proof of purchase.

I sent body and body caps, no battery, no memory card. You tick on a list what you're sending in. And I didn't include any proof of purchase.
Thank you. I don't have any problems with it and never have had. I'm not using it at the moment though and thought it would be a good time to get it sorted before the nice weather comes. I'd be gutted if I waited and then had a problem in June/July and had to send it off.

New line of Sigma lenses look interesting, in particular the 24-70 F2.8 and the 135mm F1.8. Been after something longer than the 85mm and the Nikon 105 is too expensive.

24-70 has OS and looks pretty compact. Be interesting one to keep an eye on!

Anyone use more than one LR catalogue? I haven't archived any years off, ever, so my single catalogue dates back 10 years. I only go back two years at most and so the rest of it is probably slowing everything down.

Anyone use more than one LR catalogue? I haven't archived any years off, ever, so my single catalogue dates back 10 years. I only go back two years at most and so the rest of it is probably slowing everything down.
I'm still on one catalogue though it only goes back 6 years (this year will be the 7th). I'm not up to speed with with improving lightroom performance so I will be interested to see the answers to your question.

I didn't but since last year I've started having yearly catalogues, e.g. 2016, 2017 etc, just makes it easier to find if I want to go back and re-edit.

I'm still on one catalogue though it only goes back 6 years (this year will be the 7th). I'm not up to speed with with improving lightroom performance so I will be interested to see the answers to your question.

The speed busting workflow is working with smart previews instead of the full files. Haven't done this yet, as only came across this myself not long ago. You know when you discover so,thing and think, "I should know this really?" Well it was one of those moments! You need to check the relevant box in preferences > performance. Check out Sam Hurds mini article on his website. First time I tried disconnecting my drives to utilise the smart previews it didn't work presumably because I hadn't checked that box, need to give it another go. Certainly whenever I get the laptop it looks a great way to work.

I should relook at my workflow. I don't think it's too bad but there's always room for improvement.

I didn't but since last year I've started having yearly catalogues, e.g. 2016, 2017 etc, just makes it easier to find if I want to go back and re-edit.

How does it make it easier? I have all of my files in chronological order by year. If I had them archived off then I'd have to open another catalogue. I assume that having smaller catalogues would improve speed?

The speed busting workflow is working with smart previews instead of the full files. Haven't done this yet, as only came across this myself not long ago. You know when you discover so,thing and think, "I should know this really?" Well it was one of those moments! You need to check the relevant box in preferences > performance. Check out Sam Hurds mini article on his website. First time I tried disconnecting my drives to utilise the smart previews it didn't work presumably because I hadn't checked that box, need to give it another go. Certainly whenever I get the laptop it looks a great way to work.

I should relook at my workflow. I don't think it's too bad but there's always room for improvement.
So smart previews speed up the process? I always build 1:1 previews but think smart previews are something different aren't they?

How does it make it easier? I have all of my files in chronological order by year. If I had them archived off then I'd have to open another catalogue. I assume that having smaller catalogues would improve speed?
I don't know about speed tbh, I just found I prefer having different catalogues rather than having subfolders.

So here's a question for you 750 folks. I really love my D700 and want to learn to love the D750. I took my D700 into a local camera shop and took a couple of RAW photos of the chap behind the counter. Then, using the same settings, took a few with the D750. Looking at them now in PS I really can't see much difference, let alone a significant difference favouring the D750, in the amount of noise in each photo. I used my usual workflow on both. IOW, the D700 photos are just as "clean" as the D750 photos for a shot taken under fluorescent lighting at 4000 ISO and +1 EC. Am I missing something? Are the D700 photo sites that much larger than the D750 that that makes the difference?

So here's a question for you 750 folks. I really love my D700 and want to learn to love the D750. I took my D700 into a local camera shop and took a couple of RAW photos of the chap behind the counter. Then, using the same settings, took a few with the D750. Looking at them now in PS I really can't see much difference, let alone a significant difference favouring the D750, in the amount of noise in each photo. I used my usual workflow on both. IOW, the D700 photos are just as "clean" as the D750 photos for a shot taken under fluorescent lighting at 4000 ISO and +1 EC. Am I missing something? Are the D700 photo sites that much larger than the D750 that that makes the difference?

The D750 has the much higher MP so you need to consider that when looking at images side by side at 100%.

I think if you start to push past ISO 4000 you will see a bigger difference.

The D750 has the much higher MP so you need to consider that when looking at images side by side at 100%. I think if you start to push past ISO 4000 you will see a bigger difference.

I upsized the D700 photo to the same dimensions as the D750 and I will say that the D750 image was slightly better when viewed at 100% on my iMac screen. At 50% or 33% the difference was much, much less noticeable. Should I be doing something differently in comparing the two images?

You're not going to see much difference in IQ between the two until you really start to push things tbh so I'm not surprised by your findings. With landscapes you may see more of a difference as the D750 has 2ev more DR, and has better colour depth too. But the main 'advantages' of the D750 are the higher MP count if you want to crop/print huge, slightly better AF system, and more features. The D700 is better built though.

With regards to resizing to compare noise you may see more difference if you downsample the D750 rather than upsizing the D700. Also, you're probably not going to see as much difference until you're up at 6400 and over.

I think if you start to push past ISO 4000 you will see a bigger difference.
This.

But I switched to the D750 for the cameras features as much as it's low light performance - flippy screen, U1 & U2, and it being smaller and lighter, etc.

Great shot Toby really like this one, did you drop in a different background?
Thanks Andy. Didn't drop in a different background but it has been excessively PP'd, reducing clarity and then stamp cloning the fencing out with the blurred bits that were already there.

Cool. Can't wait to see your pics. I keep meaning to go to conisby to see the typhoons etc

That meerkat is super too and very cute.

I'm off to the zoo tomorrow, weather looks to be good from late morning, 17-20 degs so I'll be happy.
Taking the D750 with the 300 f4 on and the macro camera D3200 with the siggy 24-105 on (bit of a spoiler I know), guess that should work ok.
260 ish klm round trip so I hope it's worth it.

Back