Nikon D750 & D780

Does anyone find the viewfinder grid display a bit baffling? I don't use it, but tried it out yesterday out of curiosity and was surprised it split the frame into quarters rather than rule of thirds. Any idea why they chose to do this?
Every Nikon I've had has been this way - I never use them though.
D40, D80, D90, D7000, D7100, D7200, D700 and D750 - all the same - quarters, not thirds

I do however find the red viewfinder lighting VERY bright on the D750 - much more so than others I've had

Last edited:
I don't know who Mr Harvey is :oops: :$ :p But sounds cool nonetheless ;)

My wife's bought me Silverstone F1 tickets for me and am going for the full three days in the hope to get some decent pics (y) Keep thinking about hiring the D500 and 300mm f4 :D

Oooh D500 tut tut

Last edited:
Is everyone just old and fragile on this forum moaning about lens and body weights :D:D:D

before people get off the banter bus........ this is banter, i know most of you have had some ailment or operation that has rendered you in operable to carry anything above a 35mm lens. :whistle::whistle:

It`s part of the fun in being a grumpy old git ;)

Dodgy knee, and just got over some obscure ear problem that put me on my arse for two months ... But at 57 do I give a (expletive)? Nope, and still lug a ton of kit around sometimes :)

Oooh D500 tut tut
I'd still take the D750 too :p

D750 with 150-600mm and D500 with 70-200mm. I don't think the 70-200 will be long enough at Silverstone so was considering a 1.4TC, but then thought why not try a D500 and then it saves having to swap lenses ;)

But it could cost you more on your return as u may want get a d500 as a 2nd body [emoji13]

I'd still take the D750 too [emoji14]

D750 with 150-600mm and D500 with 70-200mm. I don't think the 70-200 will be long enough at Silverstone so was considering a 1.4TC, but then thought why not try a D500 and then it saves having to swap lenses ;)
I've used a 70-200 on a cropped body at silverstone before.

But to be honest if your are hiring a d500 then I'd put the 70-200 on the d750 and use the tammy on the d500. I think that would be a cracking set up.

I've used a 70-200 on a cropped body at silverstone before.

But to be honest if your are hiring a d500 then I'd put the 70-200 on the d750 and use the tammy on the d500. I think that would be a cracking set up.
I struggle to pan at 1/50 at 600mm let alone 900m eq :eek:

Every Nikon I've had has been this way - I never use them though.
D40, D80, D90, D7000, D7100, D7200, D700 and D750 - all the same - quarters, not thirds

I do however find the red viewfinder lighting VERY bright on the D750 - much more so than others I've had
I'm probably mistaken but I'm sure i set my D7200 to thirds in the menu options.only thing the lines are opened on the edges
edit your correct it wasn't that clear to me but yes it is quarters

Last edited:
What too heavy [emoji1]
Lol. I get you're carrying on with the joke but to give a serious answer yes and no. Obviously the longer the lens the more it accentuates 'camera shake' so at 600mm trying to pan steady with no vertical movement isn't easy. I dare say if you could get a 600mm that's only 800g it wold be easier, but still at 600mm slow shutter panning isn't easy regardless ;)

I'm probably mistaken but I'm sure i set my D7200 to thirds in the menu options.only thing the lines are opened on the edges
edit your correct it wasn't that clear to me but yes it is quarters
Most likely :p

Lol. I get you're carrying on with the joke but to give a serious answer yes and no. Obviously the longer the lens the more it accentuates 'camera shake' so at 600mm trying to pan steady with no vertical movement isn't easy. I dare say if you could get a 600mm that's only 800g it wold be easier, but still at 600mm slow shutter panning isn't easy regardless ;)
What about a monopod then ?

What too heavy
emoji1.png

15519033320_74608d3aa9.jpg

Does anyone have advice on batteries?

Nikon ones are around £40+ each. A "brand" such as Duracell come at around £20 or unbranded ones are £10-15 each (approx Amazon prices). Given I'm an amature shooter and should a battery fail when I don't have an alternative would be annoying but not the end of the day, what have your experience of each option been?

This is to have a second battery rather than needing to replace a failing battery.

:plus1:

I've got both an Ex-Pro and one of the Duracell ones, and both have worked fine.

Last edited:
Yeah, not all of us have superhuman powers and can pan at 1/8 you know ;) In my defence the Tamron isn't the best balanced lens when extended, and is heavy.

Nikon ones are around £40+ each. A "brand" such as Duracell come at around £20 or unbranded ones are £10-15 each (approx Amazon prices). Given I'm an amature shooter and should a battery fail when I don't have an alternative would be annoying but not the end of the day, what have your experience of each option been?

This is to have a second battery rather than needing to replace a failing battery.
Another vote for ex-pro (y)

I picked up some Nikon batteries from MPB a few years back. They are second hand but it looks like they have a few at only £19 each. It's another option that's worth considering.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...-and-video-accessories/used-camera-batteries/

And another vote for Ex-Pro (y)

I've used Duracell ones for a couple of years as back-up now, they still work fine but they do run out of charge faster than the Nikon ones - maybe 700 shots rather than 1000+

Oh - and today I took delivery of my first D750 - so I'm now officially a "Club Member" :D

Dave

Heres one from February , edited in PS6 and LR
My local coast line, enjoy the colours of the morning.

Morning glory (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's great - really like the movement in the waves and processing looks perfect!
Thanks M [emoji106] was a bit nippy though and I'm in the south of France [emoji41]

Last edited:
Thanks gents, was with the Sigma 24-105.
Not sure about wall art @kingo15.
I didnt push the colours much, I was more trying to lighten the rock in the foreground ad some sharpening, crop and a little leveling.

That would make a nice canvas i think, but what do i know ;)

Heres one from February , edited in PS6 and LR
My local coast line, enjoy the colours of the morning.

Morning glory (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr
Lovely image, Graham - you've got a dirty sensor/lens though... ;)

What's the general consensus for sharpening? Sharpen in LR, or High-Pass filter in PS? I've been playing around with the high-pass method and it seems to give pretty decent results.

Lovely image, Graham - you've got a dirty sensor/lens though... ;)

What's the general consensus for sharpening? Sharpen in LR, or High-Pass filter in PS? I've been playing around with the high-pass method and it seems to give pretty decent results.
Haha, I used Adobe camera raw 1st, that allows me to make adjustments @ 16 bits before I transfer to PS, I used unsharp mask in PS then in LR I also made a little adjustment with the sharp finish slides. With the sliders in LR I play about lots, slide up and down before I make my final decision.

I've started to use the sharpen filter in PS and have found the images pop into life. Lr is a bit pox tbh.

What is high pass filter?

This can explain better than I can - http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/sharpen-high-pass/ - although long story short, it boosts the contrast of edges, to make them appear sharper.

I've not tried the sharpen filter (have always used LR - and like you say, it's a bit pap), so I'll have a play with that too.

Back