Nikon D750 & D780

Imagine how much the Df would be in there :D
Saw one in Jessops, but didn't have them in selfridges as they said they didn't stock 2nd rate cameras :whistle:

(£2249 IIRC for the silver ;))

Taking my new toy out for its first outing shortly in Wakefield city centre, added a 50mm and I'll be only shooting at f1.4 to get a feel for what that gives me :)

Thankfully, there's at least 2 GREGGS there too, so lunch is sorted :D

Dave

Have fun. I assume you're from Wakefield then, what's the sculpture park like?

But yet they had the D500 in and them crap hassle bladdered things.

Mind you, anywhere that locks people in cabinets can't be much kop anyway. Did you have your lab coat on?
Yeah, and a loupe monocle.

Siggy or the Nikon?

Nikon

Have fun. I assume you're from Wakefield then, what's the sculpture park like?

I'm not from Wakey but I do live closeby, and depending on what you're after then yes the YSP can be a good walk, great photowalk and there's even a couple of cafes too now that aren't bad; if a little expensive for Yorkshire lol

Dave

Today I went on a mini-Photowalk in Wakefield with my D750 - photos & commentary is in the link if you can be arsed to look :D

http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/nikons-d750-50mm-f1-4-wakefield-walk/

Loving the D750 already, so next week I'm going to buy another one :)

Dave
Well after you saying that you didn't live in Wakefield I then asked myself why someone would choose to go there ;) But cracking pics, I so wish I had a 'photographer's eye' like this, and also the bottle to take pics of strangers. Unfortunately I'm sadly lacking with both. Lovely lens rendering (is it the f1.4G?), and nice processing (y)

I thought you were a dyed in the wool DX user. There's no going back now. :D

For years I found that DX did exactly what I wanted from it, so the change to FX just didn't warrant the expense for little benefit

This last 18 months or so I've been wanting to exploit shallow DoF and hence bought primes, but still not quite shallow enough in some instances. I've also booked a few venues this year where I know I'll need 8000+ ISO, which my DX would really struggle at

So this last 6 months I've been looking to swap to something and for quite a while the newer Fujis were on the radar; but I finally just jumped to the D750 as two of my best buddies use them and I can see what they're doing with them

That and I guess I'm just Nikon through & through lol :)

Dave

For years I found that DX did exactly what I wanted from it, so the change to FX just didn't warrant the expense for little benefit

This last 18 months or so I've been wanting to exploit shallow DoF and hence bought primes, but still not quite shallow enough in some instances. I've also booked a few venues this year where I know I'll need 8000+ ISO, which my DX would really struggle at

So this last 6 months I've been looking to swap to something and for quite a while the newer Fujis were on the radar; but I finally just jumped to the D750 as two of my best buddies use them and I can see what they're doing with them

That and I guess I'm just Nikon through & through lol :)

Dave
What crops were you shooting with?

What crops were you shooting with?

D100, D2Xs, D300, D7000 and lastly D7200

When I went properly Pro I paid £3,500 for the D2Xs - 12mp and crap at even 800 ISO, there was many a time I simply couldn't take a photo at a Wedding; my D7200 I paid about £600 for with 24mp and good enough at 2000 ISO, more if it really mattered - how tech has changed eh :)

Dave

Well, officially a member of the D750 club now. I picked up a nice very low clicks D750/24-120 f4 and an official grip and two batteries. I'll be daring and forego the screen protector! :eek:
Welcome to the club.

Well, officially a member of the D750 club now. I picked up a nice very low clicks D750/24-120 f4 and an official grip and two batteries. I'll be daring and forego the screen protector! :eek:
Welcome aboard and good to see we have such a dare devil here now [emoji106]

Can someone remind me how you turn on the histogram in live view? It has been discussed here before and I turned mine on but couldn't work out how to turn a mates on when we were out yesterday.

Can someone remind me how you turn on the histogram in live view? It has been discussed here before and I turned mine on but couldn't work out how to turn a mates on when we were out yesterday.
Press the info button a couple of times until it comes up - should cycle through the digital spirit level, grid, etc.

I'll be daring and forego the screen protector! :eek:

I used to just immediately throw them away and do the same with both lens caps and the hotshoe cap, in fact the box they came in and the USB cables too - anything I didn't need was binned

Now I keep them for when I sell my cameras, it seems some people like to have them for some reason - and they pay more for them too :D

Dave

Last edited:

The need for high ISO I can understand.

The urge for shallow dof baffles me.

I'm changing my signature to f8 and be there. :D

I used to just immediately throw them away and do the same with both lens caps and the hotshoe cap, in fact the box they came in and the USB cables too - anything I didn't need was binned

Now I keep them for when I sell my cameras, it seems some people like to have them for some reason - and they pay more for them too :D

Dave

You could teach @JJ! and his mate a thing or two. :D

Why would you throw away the lens caps?

Question for you 50mm users - went out with mine last night and my mate has the 1.4g on his D810.

The 1.8g is just so much quicker when you focus from near to far or far to near etc. I'm guessing this is because its 1.4 vs 1.8? This was the case on both bodies. The 1.4g is a little bit heavier but other than that they are pretty much identical. I have read that the 1.4g is better built, but TBH they felt the same. Both have nice firm focus ring and both have the usual slight rattles when lightly shaken (not that you should shake your lenses!)

I'm just more interested in what makes 1.8 focus quicker than 1.4?

Why would you throw away the lens caps?

Only the front ones - in the days I used to chuck them :D

I always have the lens hoods on and that's all the protection I need. Shooting Weddings you really can't lose shots due to attaching/detaching lens caps, and even before Weddings I found them annoying, so I just got used to chucking them. Now I find people expect them to in any sale, and I've even had people pay up to £30 more just because I have the original box too (which again I used to immediately throw away) :)

Dave

Only the front ones - in the days I used to chuck them :D

I always have the lens hoods on and that's all the protection I need. Shooting Weddings you really can't lose shots due to attaching/detaching lens caps, and even before Weddings I found them annoying, so I just got used to chucking them. Now I find people expect them to in any sale, and I've even had people pay up to £30 more just because I have the original box too (which again I used to immediately throw away) :)

Dave

I still bin the boxes..

I use the 24-85 and it's pretty good tbh. That focuses really close too.

Looks like the 24-85 is the better option. I used to have the Tamron on my D600 and it did take a few copies to get a decent one! But as its me I might change my mind about 100 times before i commit!

Tomorrow's walkabout test will be in sunny Barnsley with the 85mm f1.8 :)

Don't expect a blog of that though - I'm meeting up with a pal of mine for a pub based photowalk. Thank fk for P-mode, which stands not for 'Professional' but Pi**ed :D

Dave

The 85 will come into its own on the D750. My favourite combo :)

Back