Nikon D750 & D780

It must be due. Really can't see much of an improvement to warrant one at that price point, which it will undoubtedly be. I'd love to swap my 610 for one, but that won't happen any time soon after my recent purchase. We seem to have peaked a little with technology as releases are becoming slightly longer again, which is no bad thing. My 750 will last me a good while yet before an upgrade thankfully.
It will be price that puts me off ultimately I think. My issue is reach, as it is with most folk who shoot wildlife is I guess. Something with the cropability of a 42mp camera could be useful, and could be the one body solution especially if they keep the dynamic range of the D810. I believe the D500 has options to use smaller RAWs (and not the sRAW) for when you don't need all the MP, so this could be useful on the D820 if they had it to keep file sizes down for the shots that don't need lots of cropping. But TBH, as I've said I'm sure it'll be well out of my price range for a very long time :( Plus I'd have to give them at least 18 months to sort out any 'teething' problems ;)

Been asked to do some boxing photography from ring side and looking into it my 70-200mm is not going to be wide enough. Seen some ringside shots with a 50mm f1.4 but not sure which one. I know the 1.4G is slow to go from near to far focus, but would it be good enough for boxing as subject distance won't change a lot? I thought this could be a cheaper option than a 24-70mm f2.8.

Been asked to do some boxing photography from ring side and looking into it my 70-200mm is not going to be wide enough. Seen some ringside shots with a 50mm f1.4 but not sure which one. I know the 1.4G is slow to go from near to far focus, but would it be good enough for boxing as subject distance won't change a lot? I thought this could be a cheaper option than a 24-70mm f2.8.

If you're ringside you need a 24-70. Who is the boxing for?

If you're ringside you need a 24-70. Who is the boxing for?
Just amateur stuff so will have the freedom to move around. 24-70mm a better option than a 50mm prime then? Seen good stuff with both.

Honestly if you didn't get on with the 1.8g, you will be disappointed with the 1.4g IMO.

Honestly if you didn't get on with the 1.8g, you will be disappointed with the 1.4g IMO.
Probably yeah, was just thinking it was a cheaper option than the 24-70mm and better for light gathering as light's bound to be pants ;)

Absolutely, 100% better than a 50 imo. Did you sell yours?

Is it paid?
Yeah sold mine to camera jungle as always used the 24-120mm. No not paid, more a favour to me tbh. I've been contemplating the 24-70mm again for a while though, wouldn't buy a lens just for this ;)

Picked up a 24-85 today, will go test it out over the weekend.

Really tempted by a Siggy 35 after trying out the 20mm!

Ahhh, I did some paid stuff a few years back. Hated it :D
Yeah, I'm shooting the London Marathon for Arthritis Research again and they're paying my travel and hotel accommodation and I feel pressured even though it's 'voluntary'. As mentioned about this already, I've been contemplating a second body 'just in case' :facepalm: I wish money grew on trees :LOL:

My choice at the min is the 24-70mm plus a fast prime, or a second body such as the D500. Decisions decisions ;)

Yeah, I'm shooting the London Marathon for Arthritis Research again and they're paying my travel and hotel accommodation and I feel pressured even though it's 'voluntary'. As mentioned about this already, I've been contemplating a second body 'just in case' :facepalm: I wish money grew on trees :LOL:

My choice at the min is the 24-70mm plus a fast prime, or a second body such as the D500. Decisions decisions ;)

Rent a lens for it.

Last edited:
One of the guys on here did some photo shoots last year, carlh is his name on here or go through my Flickr to find him and view his photos,I'm sure he's got some on there.

One of the guys on here did some photo shoots last year, carlh is his name on here or go through my Flickr to find him and view his photos,I'm sure he's got some on there.

There's a few on my Flickr feed too if you can be bothered to trawl through.

Thanks, as per usual it appears there's no 'wrong' lens. Seen some great shots (although god awful PP) with a 50mm F1.4, that Carl guy used a 35mm prime, seen others with a 24-70mm (and the much older 35-70mm f2.8), and also the 70-200mm f2.8, all ring side. Actually really liked the close up at 200mm. I guess I'll figure it out when I get there ;)

The 35 prime is a popular lens, but as you're more of a zoom guy I'd suggest the 24-70. As you know, it uses fairy dust to power the motor, something which a prime won't match. You have all bases covered. Get the bread and butter shots in round one along with the bulk of your set then change lenses at the break, 18-35 for a bit, 70-200 for a bit, mix it up, shoot through stuff, ropes, boards, people, get the crowd (if there is one) cheering, corner staff, ref, ring girls etc, shoot into any lights, get some good flare etc etc. Almost makes me want to do it again... almost.

Have fun.

The 35 prime is a popular lens, but as you're more of a zoom guy I'd suggest the 24-70. As you know, it uses fairy dust to power the motor, something which a prime won't match. You have all bases covered. Get the bread and butter shots in round one along with the bulk of your set then change lenses at the break, 18-35 for a bit, 70-200 for a bit, mix it up, shoot through stuff, ropes, boards, people, get the crowd (if there is one) cheering, corner staff, ref, ring girls etc, shoot into any lights, get some good flare etc etc. Almost makes me want to do it again... almost.

Have fun.
Thanks for the advice, useful stuff. I've no idea what to expect in terms of size, lighting etc etc until I get there. Think it'll be very minimal tbh, might just be like a sparring gym.

Not usually a massive fan of zoo shots, but you've done alright! With the top being the pick of the bunch IMO.
Thanks :) I can't afford a safari so zoos are my only option unfortunately.

Nope, not BS. Forking out for the actual holiday may be do-able at push, but taking the time off work is not as I'd lose too much money. I'd not travel all that way just for a week's holiday.

Back