Nikon D750 & D780

Tried to fix it then best I can, how's it look now? I think it's always going to be noisy as it's a heavy crop.
I think marginally they are better but as you say they are crops, did you use a diffused flash on the shots?

I think marginally they are better but as you say they are crops, did you use a diffused flash on the shots?
Thanks. Yeah, I was trying to balance ambient and flash but it was too dark so ended up using too high ISO and the flash still dominated. I just use the small lumiquest soft box but I think it's too small.

Anyone tried Reikan Focal software for calibrating lenses on their D750. Looks good for the price, but wondering if I'm just wasting my money or it's worth the investment :D

https://www.reikanfocal.com/
Apparently it's good but it doesn't give you any better results than cheaper methods. Unless you notice consistent constant AF issues I'd suggest leaving alone as there's so many variables in AF accuracy. For example if you focus on a chart from closest focus it will give you a slightly different result than if you focussed from infinite, then subject distance will affect it, as will light and contrast. Also different apertures can cause slight variances.

Thanks. Yeah, I was trying to balance ambient and flash but it was too dark so ended up using too high ISO and the flash still dominated. I just use the small lumiquest soft box but I think it's too small.
The shots that I posted here yesterday was ISO 200 Exposure 200 @ f10 and I have some harsh light here in the day time, yeah maybe try use a larger softbox if possible but imo let th flash do the work and leave the ISO alone, I think thats where the noise has come from.
Using the flash will do the job of the ISO and still freeze the subject.

Apparently it's good but it doesn't give you any better results than cheaper methods. Unless you notice consistent constant AF issues I'd suggest leaving alone as there's so many variables in AF accuracy. For example if you focus on a chart from closest focus it will give you a slightly different result than if you focussed from infinite, then subject distance will affect it, as will light and contrast. Also different apertures can cause slight variances.

Cheers for the answer. I've tweaked all 3 lenses I've had very slightly on both Df and D750. Strangely enough the 50mm lens that came with the Df needed no tweak on the Df but very slightly on the D750.

I've done this by using a chart but thinking maybe that software would be more scientific. Certainly food for thought. (y)

The shots that I posted here yesterday was ISO 200 Exposure 200 @ f10 and I have some harsh light here in the day time, yeah maybe try use a larger softbox if possible but imo let th flash do the work and leave the ISO alone, I think thats where the noise has come from.
Using the flash will do the job of the ISO and still freeze the subject.
Thanks. As I said I was trying to bring out the background hence wanting ambient light/exposure, but as the light was poor unfortunately it still didn't happen. F10 didn't give enough DOF for these subjects.

I've been working all weekend and so got back this morning hungover and had to give the 58 a quick spin again. Nothing spectacular, but it's far better than what the reviews have it down for. Loving the rendering! These are stopped down to f2 which is generally where I shoot anyway but to give you a flavour..

35204570156_1079664e5f_b.jpg

35204313476_5044c0d1bd_b.jpg

35244511755_a1db9d5967_b.jpg

Not the best shot I've ever taken but she was moving quickly towards me and AF kept up admirably

34400969214_552727b44a_b.jpg

Love the balance of the lens on a 750, it's the perfect size/weight.

I've been working all weekend and so got back this morning hungover and had to give the 58 a quick spin again. Nothing spectacular, but it's far better than what the reviews have it down for. Loving the rendering! These are stopped down to f2 which is generally where I shoot anyway but to give you a flavour..

Not the best shot I've ever taken but she was moving quickly towards me and AF kept up admirably

It is a nice lens that. Stopping down, what's that? :eek:

They're lovely, I am really keen on one of these…the lens that is, already got the child :)

All of the Nikon F1.4s have lovely bokeh :) I generally shoot at F2 as well

I just upgraded my 35mm F1.8 to the F1.4

All of the Nikon F1.4s have lovely bokeh :) I generally shoot at F2 as well

I just upgraded my 35mm F1.8 to the F1.4

My most used and favourite lens. I reckon the 35/58 are perfect working distances that I'm just used to. I was thinking that I didn't really notice the extra 8mm but this one was a bit tight at the bottom.

35244512155_43e83ae54e_b.jpg

Who else 'shoots from the hip' at times? I couldn't get down quick enough with this, and so just dropped the camera to the floor, had picked the focus point prior, and hope that you nail it. At f2 there's not much room for error and so slightly out with the top of the hands being the point caught but not the end of the world for a family snapshot. By the time I had straightened this a bit, there's not much leg room at the bottom either.

34857334100_4368a4b18e_b.jpg

My most used and favourite lens. I reckon the 35/58 are perfect working distances that I'm just used to. I was thinking that I didn't really notice the extra 8mm but this one was a bit tight at the bottom.

35244512155_43e83ae54e_b.jpg

Who else 'shoots from the hip' at times? I couldn't get down quick enough with this, and so just dropped the camera to the floor, had picked the focus point prior, and hope that you nail it. At f2 there's not much room for error and so slightly out with the top of the hands being the point caught but not the end of the world for a family snapshot. By the time I had straightened this a bit, there's not much leg room at the bottom either.

34857334100_4368a4b18e_b.jpg
Yep, really liking that lens (y)

Yep, really liking that lens (y)

Can you genuinely see some of the 'character' that it has? I find it difficult to see beyond PP most of the time. Appreciate the larger files on a decent screen though.

Looking forward to giving it more of a go in better light.

Can you genuinely see some of the 'character' that it has? I find it difficult to see beyond PP most of the time. Appreciate the larger files on a decent screen though.

Looking forward to giving it more of a go in better light.
Yeah, I can't put into words exactly what but it does have a special kind of rendering. It has great pop and subject isolation but without being as clinical as a lot of modern lenses. It seems to have all the nice characteristics of older lenses (less clinical and cream bokeh) but with the benefits of modern colours and sharpness (stopped down at least).

When I previously tried the Sigma 85mm EX DG the first one I had was obviously and older one, and it didn't work in LV (can't remember what now, think it was AF) but when I tried a new one it worked fine. I'm thinking about trying one again (blame @twist ;)) but I would preferably like one of the newer ones that work with LV, is there a way to know prior to purchase (will be buying used)?

When I previously tried the Sigma 85mm EX DG the first one I had was obviously and older one, and it didn't work in LV (can't remember what now, think it was AF) but when I tried a new one it worked fine. I'm thinking about trying one again (blame @twist ;)) but I would preferably like one of the newer ones that work with LV, is there a way to know prior to purchase (will be buying used)?

The only sigma that I had and rated, very good lens.

What profile are any of you guys using for processing RAW in Lightroom, sticking with the adobe profile or one of the camera profiles?

Still trying to get to grips with how to process the RAW files from the D750 :)

What profile are any of you guys using for processing RAW in Lightroom, sticking with the adobe profile or one of the camera profiles?

Still trying to get to grips with how to process the RAW files from the D750 :)

Camera Standard, same as I'm shooting with

Anyone tried Reikan Focal software for calibrating lenses on their D750. Looks good for the price, but wondering if I'm just wasting my money or it's worth the investment :D

https://www.reikanfocal.com/

I like it, it makes it a bit more scientific and you can see the difference on the screen. I tend to re-run the calibration every couple of months just to keep on top of it. I shoot at F2 a lot, so I want it dead on for weddings etc

Decided to sell my 24-70mm to fund some primes. It's the second 24-70mm I've had and apart from the focus speed I still prefer the 24-120mm as a general lens. I'm going to get primes instead for when I need the extra light, hoping to get 28/35mm (not decided yet), 50mm and 85mm.

Decided to sell my 24-70mm to fund some primes. It's the second 24-70mm I've had and apart from the focus speed I still prefer the 24-120mm as a general lens. I'm going to get primes instead for when I need the extra light, hoping to get 28/35mm (not decided yet), 50mm and 85mm.
IMO 35 is too close to 50. But you could always get both. :)

Wasn't sure whether 24mm would be too wide for me. I prefer 50mm to 35mm for general stuff, but prefer 85mm for portraits as I'm not an up close an personal kind of guy. I shall ponder the wide lens some more ;)

Wasn't sure whether 24mm would be too wide for me. I prefer 50mm to 35mm for general stuff, but prefer 85mm for portraits as I'm not an up close an personal kind of guy. I shall ponder the wide lens some more ;)

Check Lightroom for most used focal lengths. I used to prefer 50 but 35 is a bit more flexible as a do it all ime.

Should've ordered the 50 ART;)

Last edited:
Check Lightroom for most used focal lengths. I used to prefer 50 but 35 is a bit more flexible as a do it all ime.

Just bought Kris's 1.8g, and if I use it a lot I'll look at the Art. As you know I'm not really a prime user, but for what I bought the 24-70mm for I found that I could do with faster glass due to the bad light, so am bearing that in mind with regards to focal length. Generally though I'm just a general shooter and don't often know what I'm going to end up shooting and need hence my preference for zooms. You never know though, I might become a prime user one day ;) I wish I could do more portraits though, but I just don't have the time or money to invest into it.

I wasn't a fan of the 50 Art

I thought it was great for a 50 (heavy though), but not as good as the 35.

It was as sharp as it is heavy, but just didn't do it for me. Something about the focal length just doesn't work for me though, no idea why, I just seem to struggle with getting the composition I want with 50.

Although that's more a failure on my part than the lens, obviously :)

Back