Nikon D750 & D780

Advice needed...

A family friend has a new dog and wants some action shots. I'm not an action photographer, but have admired those shots of dogs in mid air as they run towards you. Anyone done this type of shot? If so, what's the best lens to use for quickness of auto focusing. (I might have to rent as I've only got a 50mm and 135mm) And what auto focus setting will handle such a fast moving subject coming at you? Predictive?
Thanks in advance!

I usually use my 70-200 F4 for horse/dog shots. AF-C, burst and anything from 1/500-1/2000 depending on the effect I am looking for! Anything coming at you is harder than sideways!

[QUOTE="Anything coming at you is harder than sideways![/QUOTE]

Thanks, sure is, which is why I'm asking! This is the sort of shot I'm looking to try and get. My 135mm doesn't seem to react fast enough.

dog.jpg

Advice needed...

A family friend has a new dog and wants some action shots. I'm not an action photographer, but have admired those shots of dogs in mid air as they run towards you. Anyone done this type of shot? If so, what's the best lens to use for quickness of auto focusing. (I might have to rent as I've only got a 50mm and 135mm) And what auto focus setting will handle such a fast moving subject coming at you? Predictive?
Thanks in advance!
I use the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, it's not only fast but also accurate. I use manual mode at 1/1000, f2.8 but auto ISO. I then use single point AF-C.

I use the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, it's not only fast but also accurate. I use manual mode at 1/1000, f2.8 but auto ISO. I then use single point AF-C.

Thanks, with such a shallow DoF, do you find the focus, say on the eyes, to be accurate enough using that lens with the subject moving fast towards you? (On the 135 the focus isn't quick enough and lags fractionally behind. Might be my technique)

Thanks, with such a shallow DoF, do you find the focus, say on the eyes, to be accurate enough using that lens with the subject moving fast towards you? (On the 135 the focus isn't quick enough and lags fractionally behind. Might be my technique)
Shooting flyball there were a few misses, but as you'll probably know they are running very very fast. Overall hit rate was pretty good. Not the best pics you'll see, but light wasn't great, and I wasn't stood where I'd have liked.

DSC_3984
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4073
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I don't know, they look pretty darned good shots to me! Sounds like that's the lens I need then...
Thanks. I've never tried shooting this kind of thing with a prime to compare, but I've not used much that can rival the AF of this lens.

Don't get too excited, it is not fully compatible with 750 (or 810). Not sure in what way. Not compatible at all with 610.
I wonder who they expect to buy it?
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Don't get too excited, it is not fully compatible with 750 (or 810). Not sure in what way. Not compatible at all with 610.
I wonder who they expect to buy it?
Where've you seen that?

Nikon USA website.
Just below Precise Optical Peformance

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/20068/af-p-nikkor-70-300mm-f%2f4.5-5.6e-ed-vr.html

Originally it said

"Fully compatible models: D7500, D5600, D5500, D5300*, D3400, D3300*, D500

Compatible models with limited functions: D5, D810 series, Df, D750, D7200, D7100, D5200, Nikon 1 series with the FT1

Incompatible models: D4 series, D3 series, D2 series, D1 series, D800 series, D700, D610, D600, D300 series, D200, D100, D7000, D5100, D5000, D90, D80, D70 series, D3200, D3100, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, film cameras"

Actually, since I went on about an hour ago they now say they are compatible with firmware update.

So, apologies for posting out-of-date information (by about 1 hour)

Last edited:
Nikon USA website.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/20068/af-p-nikkor-70-300mm-f%2f4.5-5.6e-ed-vr.html

Originally it said

Compatible models with limited functions: D5, D810 series, Df, D750, D7200, D7100, D5200, Nikon 1 series with the FT1

Incompatible models: D4 series, D3 series, D2 series, D1 series, D800 series, D700, D610, D600, D300 series, D200, D100, D7000, D5100, D5000, D90, D80, D70 series, D3200, D3100, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, film cameras"

Actually, since I went on about an hour ago they now say they are compatible with firmware update.

Bizarre, thanks for clearing that up. It seems that the limitation is the ability to prefocus for such models as the D4, D810 etc. which is no biggie, in fact it's something I've never used. For the older bodies, (D2 etc) it just says incompatible but doesn't say why :confused:

Had to do some extreme processing and blacken the background again on this to remove fencing and a very busy background.

DSC_5376 B&W Crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nikon USA website.

Originally it said

I believe they messed that up and that's the compatibility of the DX version lol

The FX version...

Fully compatible models (without limitations) after available firmware update: D5, D750, D610, D600, D5500, D5300, D3300. Download firmware updates at: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/index.html

Great but that white spot under his beard needs to go.

great image and processing @snerkler. Agree with twist with regards to the white spot. Also i'd prefer it without the bit of grass too in this edit (bottom left section)
Thanks, have tried my best to fix those bits, wasn't easy and not as 'clean' as I'd like but what can you do ;)

Had to do some extreme processing and blacken the background again on this to remove fencing and a very busy background. Not the best but thought I'd share it anyway.

DSC_5376 B&W Crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Super shot and the pp with B&W conversion really works on this one.

Had to do some extreme processing and blacken the background again on this to remove fencing and a very busy background. Not the best but thought I'd share it anyway.

DSC_5376 B&W Crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Cool PP mate. Have you seen David Yarrow's mono tiger portraits? Never heard of him before the photo show last year but stumbled across him on the Nikon stand - very interesting talk all about getting close with short lenses, yer right! Fave lens was a 58 for getting close to wild gorillas etc, now that's nuts.

Cool PP mate. Have you seen David Yarrow's mono tiger portraits? Never heard of him before the photo show last year but stumbled across him on the Nikon stand - very interesting talk all about getting close with short lenses, yer right! Fave lens was a 58 for getting close to wild gorillas etc, now that's nuts.
Thanks. No, I'll look into him, thanks for the info. 58mm Gorilla portrait, now that's something I'd like to see ;) TBH I've been about an inch away from one,...... on the other side of reinforced glass :LOL:

Thanks. No, I'll look into him, thanks for the info. 58mm Gorilla portrait, now that's something I'd like to see ;) TBH I've been about an inch away from one,...... on the other side of reinforced glass :LOL:

It was a really fascinating listen. Multi millionaire, friend of the royals, dated Liz Hurley, but had a love for wildlife photography. Long lenses had their place but prefers to get up close. Only expected to capture a couple of real shots a year for commission, that's a good year. Tales of elephants trampling on £6k of camera; lions destroying top of the range gear, was the highlight of that show I thought.

It was a really fascinating listen. Multi millionaire, friend of the royals, dated Liz Hurley, but had a love for wildlife photography. Long lenses had their place but prefers to get up close. Only expected to capture a couple of real shots a year for commission, that's a good year. Tales of elephants trampling on £6k of camera; lions destroying top of the range gear, was the highlight of that show I thought.
Wish I'd gone to that talk. Will have to look out for him in the future.

Is that him that only produces in mono? Or 90% of his stuff anyway? Read a bit about him before, check out the running male lion shot!

Is that him that only produces in mono? Or 90% of his stuff anyway? Read a bit about him before, check out the running male lion shot!
The website I've found were all black and white. Undoubtedly great shots but I have to say that the processing really isn't for me.

I need a bag that I can chuck my D750 & Df in with lenses attached and also room for a couple of other lenses/flash etc.

I was thinking about a Billingham 335 as I like Billinghams having owned a few. Any other suggestions what to look at?

More D750 woes....
Just had a quote from Nikon for £209 to repair / replace ever increasing ERR messages, banding and non-functioning shutter which had a count of 32,576 at the point of failure.
Bought the camera just over 12 months ago as a Nikon refurbished product, checked on their website the serial number was'nt within the range of those known to be affected.
Can't understand why some with this well documented issue are repaired FOC and out of warranty?

More D750 woes....
Just had a quote from Nikon for £209 to repair / replace ever increasing ERR messages, banding and non-functioning shutter which had a count of 32,576 at the point of failure.
Bought the camera just over 12 months ago as a Nikon refurbished product, checked on their website the serial number was'nt within the range of those known to be affected.
Can't understand why some with this well documented issue are repaired FOC and out of warranty?
I would speak to Nikon and ask if they would fix it as a good will gesture being as this is a well known issue with the D750.

Just looking through this thread and some other threads as there was talk about flash units. Can't for the life of me find it.

There was some good advice on which to get as a starter one. Think it was between neewer and Godox? Names might be wrong.

Sure the godox edged it as ability to add attional ones without additional trigger?!

Hopefully makes sense to someone. Anyone point me in the right direction as looking to pick one up as a starter and must be ttl

Just looking through this thread and some other threads as there was talk about flash units. Can't for the life of me find it.

There was some good advice on which to get as a starter one. Think it was between neewer and Godox? Names might be wrong.

Sure the godox edged it as ability to add attional ones without additional trigger?!

Hopefully makes sense to someone. Anyone point me in the right direction as looking to pick one up as a starter and must be ttl
Think you want the godox tt685. Here is a review from Martin who is a member on the forum:

http://www.martincphotography.co.uk/more/photographers/gear-reviews/godox-tt685n-review

I need a bag that I can chuck my D750 & Df in with lenses attached and also room for a couple of other lenses/flash etc.

I was thinking about a Billingham 335 as I like Billinghams having owned a few. Any other suggestions what to look at?

I'm liking Think Tank these days, other than the urban disguise bags. Retrospective for me.

Always lusted after a Billingham but really didn't take to the poor access myself, was always a faff getting into the 207 I had. Very subjective and personal are bags, best to take your gear somewhere to try. On that point, I wanted to window shop on the roller range and happened to be passing Premier Ink the other day. They've done away with the shop, so no viewing locally [emoji20]Really would like a small roller to store. It's totally OTT for me but if ever i do another gig it would be very handy to have the new airport navigator, being able to access both bodies made up from the top.

I'm liking Think Tank these days, other than the urban disguise bags. Retrospective for me.

Always lusted after a Billingham but really didn't take to the poor access myself, was always a faff getting into the 207 I had. Very subjective and personal are bags, best to take your gear somewhere to try. On that point, I wanted to window shop on the roller range and happened to be passing Premier Ink the other day. They've done away with the shop, so no viewing locally [emoji20]Really would like a small roller to store. It's totally OTT for me but if ever i do another gig it would be very handy to have the new airport navigator, being able to access both bodies made up from the top.

Cheers, a small roller may actually be a better option in some ways, although the idea of chucking a bag over my shoulder with a couple of lenses attached does appeal. I have a Billingham Hadley which is great for one body/2 lenses but I need something bigger.

My main small bag is the retrospective 7. Either one body with a lens attached plus 2 lenses or more lately 610/58 & 750/35 side by side.

I have a stealth 400 that everything can fit in but was a pain lugging that around at the wedding. That navigator looks ideal, not too big but access from the top with two made up bodies is perfect. I've got to be a good boy though, it's just GAS, I don't NEED it...

My main small bag is the retrospective 7. Either one body with a lens attached plus 2 lenses or more lately 610/58 & 750/35 side by side.

I have a stealth 400 that everything can fit in but was a pain lugging that around at the wedding. That navigator looks ideal, not too big but access from the top with two made up bodies is perfect. I've got to be a good boy though, it's just GAS, I don't NEED it...

Retrospective 7 looks promising, I'll have to have a closer look at those. I definitely need something big enough for the D750 and Df with lens attached.

GAS, what's GAS.... I just suffer from permanent want/need :D

Back