Nikon D750 & D780

What's the second one (the L)

From photographylife:

"The first number (C) represents camera firmware version, while the second number (L) represents lens firmware version (for various in-camera lens corrections)"

https://photographylife.com/nikon-firmware-update

C for camera, L for lens- I wasn't expecting it to be so logical (logical isn't usually Nikons way!)

Two minute job in the end, both bodies done. I didn't do the last one after checking.

@snerkler

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.11 to 1.12
  • • Added support for the following features of AF-P lenses:
    •  - If the standby timer expires after the camera has focused, the focus position will not change when the timer is reactivated.
    •  - In manual focus mode, the focus indicator in the viewfinder (or in live view, the focus point selected in the monitor) will flash to show that infinity or the minimum focus distance has been reached by rotating the focus ring.
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    •  - When pictures were viewed after shooting with Overflow selected for Role played by card in Slot 2 in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, the camera would sometimes display the second-last picture taken.
    •  - Microphone sensitivity would sometimes not be correctly adjusted when movies were recorded with Auto sensitivity > Microphone sensitivity.
Changes from Previous Versions
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.10 to 1.11
  • • The WT-7 wireless transmitter is now supported.
    • - Incorrect histograms would be displayed for some images viewed in the RGB histogram display during playback.
    • - If On was selected for Auto distortion control, distortion would appear at the edges of photos taken with NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine selected for Image quality and Medium selected for Image size.
    • - The option chosen for Custom Setting f5 (Customize command dials) > Change main/sub in CUSTOM SETTINGS MENUgroup f (Controls) would not be saved when Save settings was selected for Save/load settings in the SETUP MENU.
    • - Pictures would sometimes not be recorded.
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.02 to 1.10
  • • An External recording control option has been added to the HDMI item in the SETUP MENU. If the camera is connected via HDMI to a third-party recorder that supports the Atomos Open Protocol (the Atomos SHOGUN, NINJA2, or NINJA BLADE), selecting On allows camera controls to be used to start and stop recording. More information is available in a supplementary manual.
    Note:Choose an option other than 576p (progressive) or 480p (progressive) for HDMI > Output resolution in the SETUP MENU.
    • - The brightness of the live view photography display would not change when a command dial was rotated to adjust exposure compensation with On (Auto reset) selected for b Metering/exposure > b3 Easy exposure compensation > Easy exposure compensation in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
    • - Although the preview button would stop the lens down to maximum aperture when assigned the Preview role, the maximum aperture indicator would not appear in the monitor.
    • - In rare cases, the shutter would not be released when the user attempted to take photographs in movie live view.
    • - About 4 seconds of static could be heard on audio recorded with external HDMI recorders during movie live view.
    • - The shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity displayed in the monitor during movie live view would differ from values in the final movie file.
    • - Part of the focus point would disappear if the user zoomed in while the framing grid was displayed.
    • - Volume could sometimes not be adjusted if movies were played with indicators hidden during full-frame playback (None (image only)).
    • - Exposure compensation would fail to produce the desired results if a negative value was selected when NEF (RAW) images were processed using the NEF (RAW) processing option in the RETOUCH MENU.
    • - Images would in rare cases fail to record correctly with HDR (high dynamic range) selected in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU.
    • - If On was selected for Exposure smoothing during interval timer photography, every frame after the first would be overexposed.
    • - File numbers were not assigned in the proper sequence.
    • - The focus point would not be displayed in the correct location in the monitor.
    • - In some languages, characters or parts of characters would be missing from the SETUP MENU > Location data > Positiondisplay.
    • - In some languages, characters or parts of characters would be missing from the SETUP MENU > AF fine-tune > List saved values display.
    • - In some regions, nothing would be displayed when Conformity marking was selected in the SETUP MENU.
  • • Some help text has been changed.
  • • Optimal vibration reduction is now available with vibration reduction lenses.
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.01 to 1.02
  • • Camera operation is now more reliable.
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.00 to 1.01
  • • Fixed an issue that caused photos taken with optional flash units using auto FP high-speed sync to be overexposed when Onwas selected for ISO sensitivity settings > Auto ISO sensitivity control in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU. (Auto FP high-speed is enabled by selecting 1/200 s (Auto FP) or 1/250 s (Auto FP) for e1 Flash sync speed in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
  • • Fixed issues with the menu and other displays in the camera monitor and on the television when 4K TVs were connected via HDMI.
  • • Reduced the noise that could sometimes be heard when an option other than Off was selected for d1 Beep in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
Thanks, so nothing exciting then.

A question I've been meaning to ask for a while, is there a way to change how long it takes for the camera to go to sleep? Mine seems to go to sleep much quicker than I remember my old one doing meaning that I have to half press the shutter before I can move the AF point around again.

Did you not have one and sell it in March? Or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

Nope, I was selling one on behalf of a friend as didn't have the funds to buy it myself back then!

Thanks, so nothing exciting then.

A question I've been meaning to ask for a while, is there a way to change how long it takes for the camera to go to sleep? Mine seems to go to sleep much quicker than I remember my old one doing meaning that I have to half press the shutter before I can move the AF point around again.
I'd also like to know this. I find this happening a lot with mine, and it's bloody annoying.

I'd also like to know this. I find this happening a lot with mine, and it's bloody annoying.
Think I've found it. I've not tried it yet but on page 336 of the manual it mentions the standby timer. It says that the shutter and aperture stay visible in the LCD panel until it goes into standby so I'm hoping this means that this includes the AF point activation.

Dad has spent a few weeks building a new house (still snagging to do) for the little lady, not that I want her to leave home just yet..

36449841581_e4fbf4cc03_b.jpg

I could've sorted the 'bed hair'

36189054980_8cb65c0626_b.jpg

She certainly seems happy with it..

36189054700_971bf15f6e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Think I've found it. I've not tried it yet but on page 336 of the manual it mentions the standby timer. It says that the shutter and aperture stay visible in the LCD panel until it goes into standby so I'm hoping this means that this includes the AF point activation.
Haven't had chance to try this yet. Have you?

Panamoz good at keeping the delivery updated, which is good
Camera delayed due to stock shortages, which isn't
Getting twenty quid off so that's quite good of them, hopefully posted on Friday which is when I was hoping it'd be here

Few of my friends are big into their cars... so i offered to do a little shoot for them.

Just started editing them... here's one from the set. It's not the final one, still need to drag it into PS to done a bit of healing. But thought i'd share it
DSC_1743 by mg photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
My camera is on its way back to me tomorrow from Nikon. It's had the shutter replaced, a service and sensor clean. What do they do in a service? Will my lenses need recalibrating again?

My camera is on its way back to me tomorrow from Nikon. It's had the shutter replaced, a service and sensor clean. What do they do in a service? Will my lenses need recalibrating again?
They shouldn't. They just give it a clean and make sure everything's working as it should, but they don't usually touch the AF module AFAIK.

Few of my friends are big into their cars... so i offered to do a little shoot for them.

Just started editing them... here's one from the set. It's not the final one, still need to drag it into PS to done a bit of healing. But thought i'd share it
DSC_1743 by mg photography, on Flickr

Don't like the wavy lines, but the car looks nice and clean and shine captured nicely!

Been messing in PS whilst waiting for some smart previews to build, quick mono edit from one of the sequence of shots above, makes a change from a LR edit..

36595419105_36d3e5f2af_b.jpg

Nice that. Eyes look super sharp and bright!

The 70-200 VRIII or what ever you call it is still for sale at my local 2nd hand camera shop... hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The 70-200 VRIII or what ever you call it is still for sale at my local 2nd hand camera shop... hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Buy it if it is at a good price and if you have the funds...

Well, I decided on the Tamron ( F004 version) and ordered one yesterday to be delivered to France.
Got an email from the retailer saying they had cancelled the order because 3D secure hadn't been completed!
The option to complete the 3D secure section didn't appear when I paid!
Anyway, they cancelled the order, even though the money has left my account and hasn't gone back in yet. They are holding the lens for me but I think I will try elsewhere. I've found the same lens on MPB cheaper, but I might go for the Sigma, I read some great reviews of it last night.

Well, after almost 2 days of no phone signal (3) in France, our phones are back on and I managed to complete the order process ( seems they cannot send stuff overseas without it going through 3D secure and now they sent you a text to your registered phone with an authorisation code)
So, after trying to order 2 Tamron and a Sigma, I finally went for a new Nikon 105 VR. Pricier than the others, but according to my Lightrooms metadata, I have had one before and the images are stunning.
I vaguely remember using one but I think it was a loaner.
Harrison's didn't get my order though, they still haven't returned my money from my previous failed attempt to buy a Tamron. The bank's on the case.......

Back