Nikon D750 & D780

Gone now. Wrong thread!

Last edited:
You should be flogged for bringing an X100 image into this thread :LOL:

How are you getting on with it?... I had one, and although I did like it, I needed more options so sold it for an XT1.
Oops, how did I post that here?:oops: :$

... pops in to check the D750 thread is rumbling on as ever ...

Mine is on the latest extended recall list for the shutter shading issue. I wasn't going to send it in as I'd never seen an issue until 2 weeks ago. Seems that it only happens with a nearly flat battery.

How long do repairs take? I rarely go a week without a couple of shoots.

Anyway... here's a pic from the most recent shoot. I'm not often genuinely pleased with a pic but there aren't many things I'd change about this one:

_SRC8431-Edit.jpg

Grey sellers were very optimistic at those launch prices. People aren't stupid so prices soon tumble. You'll be waiting a while.
I think the main advantage of the Grey sellers at launch were they had some available to “take away”...

so the 850 is similar to the d750 just with better af then
Not really. Better AF, better AF spread, better build, different layout, higher MP, and no AA filter.

Not really. Better AF, better AF spread, better build, different layout, higher MP, and no AA filter.

Didn’t think the AF spread was that much different??

Mine is on the latest extended recall list for the shutter shading issue. I wasn't going to send it in as I'd never seen an issue until 2 weeks ago. Seems that it only happens with a nearly flat battery.

Anyway... here's a pic from the most recent shoot. I'm not often genuinely pleased with a pic but there aren't many things I'd change about this one:

View attachment 119522

The repair is around a couple of weeks turn around normally.

cracking picture btw. you should be pleased with it

Didn’t think the AF spread was that much different??
AF spread on the D850 is noticeably wider than the D750 and actually perfect for me as the outer ones are right where I’d want them to be for the perfect composition for Wildlife and sports. At present I have to take the pic knowing I’m going to have to crop in post. Also, those outer ones are cross type on the D850 so is even better. I just wish I could find £3k down the back of the sofa :LOL:

Reactions: dkh
AF spread on the D850 is noticeably wider than the D750 and actually perfect for me as the outer ones are right where I’d want them to be for the perfect composition for Wildlife and sports. At present I have to take the pic knowing I’m going to have to crop in post. Also, those outer ones are cross type on the D850 so is even better. I just wish I could find £3k down the back of the sofa :LOL:

2.7k is all you need to find. Prob find some in your white lab coat pockets ha ha

View attachment 119522

Awesome. Two strip boxes?

Anyone tried indoor dog agility with D750? My friend has invited me along to take some pics and was wondering how the focus system holds up with fast little dogs?!

Will the D500 be better?

Anyone tried indoor dog agility with D750? My friend has invited me along to take some pics and was wondering how the focus system holds up with fast little dogs?!

Will the D500 be better?

You don’t have a D500 do you so D750 will make do [emoji1303]

Will the D500 be better?
Not done dog agility but done boxing in the most awful light (just a normal room's spotlights and fluorescent strips, no specific stage lighting) taking along both the D500 and D750. I would say that the AF of the D500 was marginally better in that it was slightly snappier to lock, but it's not a blatant difference, I had to think about it rather than it being obvious. Then of course you got the advantage of the frame rate on the D500. I would say that the D750's shots were slightly cleaner though, but again not instantly obvious.

To be honest as a D750 owner I wouldn't swap it for the D500 as there's not enough difference, it's marginal. Likewise, if I was a D500 I wouldn't swap it for the D750. The only reason I think you should consider swapping from one to the other is if you absolutely need the AF spread and frame rate of the D500, or its build quality, and the other way only if you absolutely prefer the specific field of view/DOF that FF offers, or you are absolutely anal about the tiniest noise difference.

View attachment 119522
Cracking shot!.
Mine was only recalled for the first issue(whatever that was... back in 2015), it has been fine ever since.

Will the D500 be better?

yes d500 will be better

@snerkler do you use 70-200 with TC?

I was short of reach this weekend as edges of arena where quite far away and I'm going back there in a few weeks and could not with a bit more reach whilst not losing too much IQ!

I was short of reach this weekend as edges of arena where quite far away and I'm going back there in a few weeks and could not with a bit more reach whilst not losing too much IQ!
Only tried the 2x TC with it, never again ;) The TC14-III is supposed to be OK, although it's a lot of money. I've got my 150-600mm if I need reach (y)

Only tried the 2x TC with it, never again ;) The TC14-III is supposed to be OK, although it's a lot of money. I've got my 150-600mm if I need reach (y)

Its like give and take! 2.8 is excellent for action, but limited range when I get to certain venues.

Maybe I need to invest in a big zoomy lens!

Its like give and take! 2.8 is excellent for action, but limited range when I get to certain venues.

Maybe I need to invest in a big zoomy lens!
300mm f4?

300mm f4?

Looks like a nice lens that! Need to free up some funds!!! Maybe a 2nd hand TC might be the answer. It’s only for occasional use when can’t get close enough.

But still, that 300 F4 is so small and light!!

The 1.4 TC II worked well on my 70-200 f2.8 VR2, I had no problems with it for wildlife, a 100-280mm f4 zoom was quite nice. I saw one go on here for about £140 which makes it far cheaper than the 300 f4 PF and still has the zoom too.

The 1.4 TC II worked well on my 70-200 f2.8 VR2, I had no problems with it for wildlife, a 100-280mm f4 zoom was quite nice. I saw one go on here for about £140 which makes it far cheaper than the 300 f4 PF and still has the zoom too.

Wondering how much difference there will be between 300 F4 and 2.8 with 1.4 TC. The 300 will be better but by how much !

Wondering how much difference there will be between 300 F4 and 2.8 with 1.4 TC. The 300 will be better but by how much !
I did read a review recently as I’ve been deciding whether to downgrade and go down the 300 f4 PF route. I can’t find the review now, there wasn’t much in it, not a £1k difference anyway. I hired a 300 f4 PF for Skomer last year and wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be. AF felt noticeably slower and seem to hunt a lot more than the 70-200 f2.8.

I did read a review recently as I’ve been deciding whether to downgrade and go down the 300 f4 PF route. I can’t find the review now, there wasn’t much in it, not a £1k difference anyway. I hired a 300 f4 PF for Skomer last year and wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be. AF felt noticeably slower and seem to hunt a lot more than the 70-200 f2.8.

Might just see if I can hire one or borrow a TC for next time out.

Yeah I find it odd that the 300mm is a slower lens to focus, but according to reviews it's not regarded as one of their 'pro' lenses like the 70-200mm.

@JJ! take from this what you will, but the 70-200mm VRII with TC14E-II at 280mm looks softer than the 300mm f4 to me, and noticeably softer than the 70-200mm at 200mm. I know the TC14E-III is supposed to be noticeably better, but at the end of the day all you are doing is magnifying the image so you might just be better cropping?

Whilst these aren't award winning shots they are heavily heavily cropped (in fact the second is a 1:1 crop) and for web purposes and small prints they'll stand up.
DSC_4113 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4193 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4197 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4073 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Might just see if I can hire one or borrow a TC for next time out.
I'd try a TC on the zoom first.

I've used a x1.7 and a x2 on my 70-200/2.8 mk2 and found the results better than the internet suggested. Mind you, I don't posses a lab coat.

I have some puffin images on Flickr which some were taken using a hired 300 f4 PF this year and some taken last year with the 70-200 f2.8 with 1.4 TC. All were taken at quite close focusing distances (1-4m) so may not be relevant to taking them at further distances.

just took delivery of a 50mm 1.8g. so its the first time the 70-200 and grip has come off this camera. obviously makes a huge difference in weight. had a few test shots around the house and am so pleased. now thinking i might take this combo with me to Dublin on Thursday and hopefully i'll get some free time Friday to get some shots before i come home.

Back