Nikon D750 & D780

So I am over my D500 gas and now back to reality!

I need to get myself something wider. I got rid of some of my lenses in haste a while back so need to get something sorted.

I don’t shoot a lot of wide, my go to lens is the 70-200 followed by a 50. But there is going to be times when I need to be wider. Group shots, holiday pics etc, maybe even a friends wedding.

I want wider than 35mm, but nothing too crazy wide that would need loads of correction!

So my choices... another 28mm? Sold my excellent copy a while back on here. Doh!

24mm 1.8g? Seems to be a compromise on wide but not too wide.

18-35 - has a good range, but in low light might be a bit of a struggle?

So I am over my D500 gas and now back to reality!

I need to get myself something wider. I got rid of some of my lenses in haste a while back so need to get something sorted.

I don’t shoot a lot of wide, my go to lens is the 70-200 followed by a 50. But there is going to be times when I need to be wider. Group shots, holiday pics etc, maybe even a friends wedding.

I want wider than 35mm, but nothing too crazy wide that would need loads of correction!

So my choices... another 28mm? Sold my excellent copy a while back on here. Doh!

24mm 1.8g? Seems to be a compromise on wide but not too wide.

18-35 - has a good range, but in low light might be a bit of a struggle?
Depends if you want prime or zoom. The 18-35mm G is a cracking lens, but I have never shot it in low light other than landscapes where I use the painfully slow live view anyway ;) Another option for a zoom would be the 24-70mm f2.8 with could be used for a variety of applications. If you want prime then it really depends on which focal length you think would work best for you, and only you can decide that ;)

Want something small and light so 24-70 is not really what I am after.

The 18-35 seems the logical choice - the primes are just nice!

Is size is important to you, have you considered this.
Tamron 24-70 G2, 900 grammes with a length 108.5mm of against the heavy weight Nikon VR2 @ 1070 grammes and a length of 154mm.

I too need something wide... well do I need it, probably not! But while I have the 24-70 I generally don't take it out and about, its more for paid or indoor work. Out I tend to use the 50mm or my X100F (35mm). Took a 20mm 1.8 to NY and thought it as excellent but maybe too wide for general use.

I too need something wide... well do I need it, probably not! But while I have the 24-70 I generally don't take it out and about, its more for paid or indoor work. Out I tend to use the 50mm or my X100F (35mm). Took a 20mm 1.8 to NY and thought it as excellent but maybe too wide for general use.

Yeah I think 20 would be too wide for me if I went prime route. I think its 24mm or 18-35. Only 30g weight difference so both can be considered a nice light lens. I do need it, as need to have something wider than my 50! It will not get a huge amount of use but I need something lol

I had the older 18-35. Made some good pictures with it.
Recently researched 24mm. When I get around to I’ll buy the 24 af-d. It’s tiny and very good. If you need faster look at the 24 f1.8

I had the older 18-35. Made some good pictures with it.
Recently researched 24mm. When I get around to I’ll buy the 24 af-d. It’s tiny and very good. If you need faster look at the 24 f1.8

AFD does look tiny! not sure how it compares to the G optically. 18-35 I guess makes more logical sense, but when does that ever happen!!

For a change today i dig out my 85mm 1.8G. A year ago i was going to sell it but nobody was buying without loosing too much money on it. It's been in the box since. Today i've decided to take it out to give it a go again. What a great lens and what a small package. A shame that 85mm get a bit too long most of the time.

I can't remember the 35mm 1.8G to impress me like this and this is why i have the 35mm 1.4 ART and 50mm 1.4 ART but they are so big compare to the 85mm 1.8G.

Glad i didn't sell it. It's spot on too, no need for af tuning.

For a change today i dig out my 85mm 1.8G. A year ago i was going to sell it but nobody was buying without loosing too much money on it. It's been in the box since. Today i've decided to take it out to give it a go again. What a great lens and what a small package. A shame that 85mm get a bit too long most of the time.

I can't remember the 35mm 1.8G to impress me like this and this is why i have the 35mm 1.4 ART and 50mm 1.4 ART but they are so big compare to the 85mm 1.8G.

Glad i didn't sell it. It's spot on too, no need for af tuning.

Love my 85 1.8

I spent yesterday fine tuning my cameras too, everything was acceptable but my 35 Art needed adjustment on all 3 bodies. Nikon 24-70, 85mm 1.4D, 50mm 1.8D and Sigma 70-200 2.8 were all pretty much spot on, I was surprised at the 70-200 but that goes to show that’s my technique when I miss shots :LOL: The 35 needed not loads but some, and was pretty consistent across the bodies too so hopefully it’s sorted now; here’s to hoping it’s a little more accurate going forward. It’s never been horrendous but there’s been definite times when it could have been better!

What i have come to realise while doing it is just how soft the 50mm 1.8D is wide open, is the 1.8G better? I’d love to move over to 1.4G but it doesn’t get a lot of love from a lot of people, it doesn’t necessarily need to be spot on wide open but by 1.8-2.0 would be nice!

I spent yesterday fine tuning my cameras too, everything was acceptable but my 35 Art needed adjustment on all 3 bodies. Nikon 24-70, 85mm 1.4D, 50mm 1.8D and Sigma 70-200 2.8 were all pretty much spot on, I was surprised at the 70-200 but that goes to show that’s my technique when I miss shots :LOL: The 35 needed not loads but some, and was pretty consistent across the bodies too so hopefully it’s sorted now; here’s to hoping it’s a little more accurate going forward. It’s never been horrendous but there’s been definite times when it could have been better!

What i have come to realise while doing it is just how soft the 50mm 1.8D is wide open, is the 1.8G better? I’d love to move over to 1.4G but it doesn’t get a lot of love from a lot of people, it doesn’t necessarily need to be spot on wide open but by 1.8-2.0 would be nice!

I am one of the 1.8g lovers and I know a lot of people disagree but I find it pretty sharp wide open. I have had the 1.4d and 1.4g and out of all three I kept the 1.8g. If I am not using my 70-200 it’s what I mainly use.

The 50mm f1.8g is not sharp wide open but is acceptable as long as you don't start pixel peeping.

I find it sharp enough at 1.8, and the overall IQ just as good as the 35mm 1.8g.

I have an 18-35 and 24mm on my used watch list... I don't know what to do! Someone just choose for me :LOL:

I find it sharp enough at 1.8, and the overall IQ just as good as the 35mm 1.8g.

I have an 18-35 and 24mm on my used watch list... I don't know what to do! Someone just choose for me :LOL:

To be totally honest Justin if I were you I'd go for the 24-70 f2.8. This would then give you full coverage from 24mm thru to 200mm with top quality f2.8 lenses.
The 24-70 zoom is virtually as good as any of the primes within that range and in some cases is far better.

Did you ever make a decision about something longer? The 300mm f4 PF is a cracking lens, sits on my D500 virtually all of the time and works superbly with the 1.4 teleconverter which also works well with 70-200.

I dont often have the 70-200 off my camera and when it is I have the 50 on there so was just after somthing small and light to tuck in to my bag for just in case I need wide moments!

300mm F4 is a bit out of reach at the moment, but might try the 1.4tc. Have you noticed much loss in detail and focus with it on the 70-200?

Heres one from last nights sortie, No colours appeared but the rocks are a nice colour.
Edited in Skylum win 18.

GRE_8710 by Graham, on Flickr

For a change, big sister..

38919520160_6c83509568_b.jpg

Last edited:
This is one I would think will be in competition with sigma,
://petapixel.com/2018/02/28/tokina-unveils-opera-50mm-f-1-4-lens-canon-nikon/
I think it would be worth a punt.

This is one I would think will be in competition with sigma,
://petapixel.com/2018/02/28/tokina-unveils-opera-50mm-f-1-4-lens-canon-nikon/
I think it would be worth a punt.

Looks huge! Don’t understand why 50s have to be so big? The Nikon 58mm is pretty small and that’s a 1.4?!

I dont often have the 70-200 off my camera and when it is I have the 50 on there so was just after somthing small and light to tuck in to my bag for just in case I need wide moments!

300mm F4 is a bit out of reach at the moment, but might try the 1.4tc. Have you noticed much loss in detail and focus with it on the 70-200?

Virtually no loss of detail with the 1.4tc (I’ve got the version III) not sure if the version II is quite as good.
The 300PF performs remarkably with the 1.4tc and pretty good with the 1.7tc.

Last edited:
Just for information if anyone is looking to trade D750 WEX offer £850.

I still have mine - not jumped yet! Well maybe tomorrow might change that.

I’ve only just bought mine :thinking:

I'm not going anywhere for a while hoping Nikon get their act together and bring out a FF Mirrorless camera

Back