Nikon D750 & D780

Which is never long enough to use with a laptop, FoCal and a tripod :(

Works fine for me, put the tripod at the lowest level, MacBook sits on the kids chair connected to the cable. The longest lens I have is the 70-210 which I had to do sitting outside in the garden.

Works fine for me, put the tripod at the lowest level, MacBook sits on the kids chair connected to the cable. The longest lens I have is the 70-210 which I had to do sitting outside in the garden.

I had a few doors open in the house and the 500mm needed a 'through the open window, garden' setup! As for the balancing act ... well, I'm applying for a Circus job :)

Really starting to lose patience with this camera :(

On first look this seems ok but even without cropping you can clearly see what a smudged mess the right side of the picture is. This should be tack sharp edge to edge yet is miles off and not even at its widest (38mm / F11), using a D7200 + Sigma 17-50 my images were razor sharp edge to edge.

Yes these are not Nikon lenses but for a 'professional' body it's compatibility with 3rd party lenses seems appalling.

So both lenses i own for this camera have significant floors......great o_O

Like the others, I really doubt the D750 is causing the problem here... looks more like the lens is decentred or something. Perhaps it's been dropped. I'm not sure what in the camera itself would cause that, so I'd send the lens back.

Unless you just generally regret the expensive camera upgrade and are looking for reasons to change your mind... I know that feeling.

My question as a relatively new Nikon user is, is a D750 replacement on the cards? I can see myself upgrading to this body or it's replacement next, as I think I prefer the slightly smaller form factor than the D8xxx line.

My question as a relatively new Nikon user is, is a D750 replacement on the cards? I can see myself upgrading to this body or it's replacement next, as I think I prefer the slightly smaller form factor than the D8xxx line.

Probably not, but it’s still a fantastic bit of kit!

The honest answer would be, who knows? They may throw everything at the Z series? It is likely for an update given usual timescales. My advice would be, just go with the 750, it is an awesome camera even now and the best value for money option out there.

@KitsuneAndy Just totted up secondhand prices of my lot, out of interest, against what you noted. £5k for mine and £6k for a single A73 with those lenses. So I'd lose an additional body +£1k. Does make the Z6 a compelling option. All that said, I don't really need to for what I shoot.

From Nikon's POV there would be a logic in replacing the D6xx and D7xx series with the Z cameras, but I hope they do come up with a D760 - it will lower the prices of used D750s ;)

The honest answer would be, who knows? They may throw everything at the Z series? It is likely for an update given usual timescales. My advice would be, just go with the 750, it is an awesome camera even now and the best value for money option out there.

@KitsuneAndy Just totted up secondhand prices of my lot, out of interest, against what you noted. £5k for mine and £6k for a single A73 with those lenses. So I'd lose an additional body +£1k. Does make the Z6 a compelling option. All that said, I don't really need to for what I shoot.

Yeah I'm about a grand down I think on the swap, but I now have less lenses as well. But then I probably had too many.

Have been looking at the Z7 again and think that’s the logical route for me when funds allow. I do want one body to be higher res.

@snerkler how is the focus peaking in the 850? Hopefully that works well. Other than a single card slot, what else is not to like?

Have been looking at the Z7 again and think that’s the logical route for me when funds allow. I do want one body to be higher res.

@snerkler how is the focus peaking in the 850? Hopefully that works well. Other than a single card slot, what else is not to like?
I've not tried it tbh, I only use LV for landscapes for which I don't find peaking very useful.

The Z7 is nice, but AF is not up to D850 standard and that was when I tried it in undemanding circumstances (single point static shooting in store) so I'd be worried how it would cope with demanding situations (low light, fast moving subjects etc)

I've not tried it tbh, I only use LV for landscapes for which I don't find peaking very useful.

The Z7 is nice, but AF is not up to D850 standard and that was when I tried it in undemanding circumstances (single point static shooting in store) so I'd be worried how it would cope with demanding situations (low light, fast moving subjects etc)

The reviews I’ve read suggest AF is very good? Of course that is a deal breaker. I’m not likely to buy in the next 12 months anyway, gotta get the wedding out the way first! So at least I’ll have a better idea of performance when they’re released with good feedback.

First non-Nikon wedding yesterday.

No regrets, sorry!

One battery lasted all day, culling is going to be a nightmare because everything is in focus.. Didn't skip a beat all day.

Ah Sony baloney! Glad it’s working out. [emoji3]

The rest of us here are going retro with Nikon.

I liked the peaking on the D850 but its much more useful on a body with an EVF as you can use it more easily handheld (i.e not on the screen).

I had a play with the Z7 yesterday and it feels like a lovely bit of kit, especially considering its a first iteration of mirrorless for Nikon.

Its really doesn't seem that far off its main competition (A7riii), perhaps ahead in some areas (Weather proofing for example), it took Sony 4 years to get from the A7 to the A7riii and Nikon are almost already there which is impressive.

Personally for me I may pick one up if the grey prices drop a little - probably with adapter F mount glass and maybe one Z Lens to start with though.
The other option is another D850 now that I can see there is a future mirrorless upgrade path with Nikon that I could use any glass I buy on (maybe not Tamron!), bonus is that grey a D850 is over a £1000 less currently!

The reviews I’ve read suggest AF is very good? Of course that is a deal breaker. I’m not likely to buy in the next 12 months anyway, gotta get the wedding out the way first! So at least I’ll have a better idea of performance when they’re released with good feedback.
I guess it depends on your comparison. It is very good, just not as good as the D850 in the scenario I described. With the 24-70mm f4 it wasn’t quite as quick as my D850 with 24-70mm f2.8, nor how I remember the D750 with 24-120mm f4 (although didn’t have this last setup to directly compare). The Z7 with 24-70mm f4 did hunt VERY slightly on the odd time.

When I tried the 24-70mm f2.8 on the Z7 via adapter I again noticed a difference between this and the D850 with the same lens. It did hunt a little more frequently (still not a lot) and it wasn’t quite as snappy as the D850. The Z7 felt more like my EM1 in terms of AF-S speed than the D850.

Now some may say I’m splitting hairs and of course for a lot of applications the EM1 is more than fast enough. BUT I was looking at getting the Z7 as a D850 replacement, and AF acquisition speed is vital, and the Z7 didn’t give me the same confidence as the D850.

I didn’t get chance to try AF-C to track anything but I didn’t need to as from the use I had I realised that the Z7 isn’t quite there,..... yet.

First non-Nikon wedding yesterday.

No regrets, sorry!

One battery lasted all day, culling is going to be a nightmare because everything is in focus.. Didn't skip a beat all day.

Love to see some examples please Andy - bit disillusioned myself atm

Love to see some examples please Andy - bit disillusioned myself atm

It's almost too sharp, think I'm going to have to dial down the clarity for wedding images.

WB is off compared to the Nikon, nothing a little tweaking won't solve though..

Here's a couple from over the weekend from the Sony

winterton-1.jpg winterton-7.jpg winterton-11.jpg Lucy&Adam-1.jpg Lucy&Adam-2.jpg

It's almost too sharp, think I'm going to have to dial down the clarity for wedding images.

WB is off compared to the Nikon, nothing a little tweaking won't solve though..

Here's a couple from over the weekend from the Sony

View attachment 136584 View attachment 136585 View attachment 136586 View attachment 136587 View attachment 136588
I'm assuming you have a preset you set on import, do you find the colours alter much from nikon to sony?

I know adobe were doing something to bring them more inline and make this process easier, just wondered your thoughts on it :)

P.s. nice images

Back