Nikon D750 & D780

Like this one Andy. Looks filmic. Did you use any split toning to get that look? Mind sharing how you achieved that colour tone?

I used a preset as a base, and then tweaked from there, can check the exact settings in LR when I'm home :)

A friend wanted a picture taken for a flier for his show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, a take on the goddess with the horn of plenty, only with dice and tarot cards as his show is about chance.

2016-07-06_08-19-35 by Andy Dane, on Flickr
Very nice Andy, has a very 'Film Like' quality to it, love it.......!!

Sent my camera in today for the shutter recall, but also having them check my AF system whilst it's in. Missing it already :( ;)

Thanks Ken - I was just wondering since I don't hear it mentioned a lot (in comparison with the Sigma) so thought it might not be that good.

Yep, brilliant. Had the Sigma Art 35 but couldn't get it to focus with my D750 despite having the dock. Sent it back and ordered the Tamron. Great lens.

Thanks Ken - I was just wondering since I don't hear it mentioned a lot (in comparison with the Sigma) so thought it might not be that good.

And a 5 year guarantee too. I have to admit, I much prefer it to the Sigma.

Only used the Nikon, which is quite a little gem. If you want VC the Tamron is a no brainier!

Finally managed to get out with the 85mm f/1.8G this afternoon with my Better Half and my youngest... I couldn't have asked for better natural lighting. :)

Two very nice shots Si, really nice expressions, well composed, and a good use of limited dof.(y)

George.

Yep, brilliant. Had the Sigma Art 35 but couldn't get it to focus with my D750 despite having the dock. Sent it back and ordered the Tamron. Great lens.
Strange how the odd D750 doesn't like Sigmas. I thought it was just mine but I've heard of several examples now :confused:

Sigma 50mm goodness with a touch of oldskool processing. Shot at the obligatory aperture, of course. Else the ninjas will take me away.

20160706-D75_5048-fl50_mm-ISO_100-exp1-200_sec_at_f_-_1.4-bias0_EV.jpg

Sigma 50mm goodness with a touch of oldskool processing. Shot at the obligatory aperture, of course. Else the ninjas will take me away.

20160706-D75_5048-fl50_mm-ISO_100-exp1-200_sec_at_f_-_1.4-bias0_EV.jpg
Cool. What's the "oldskool" processing?

Cool. What's the "oldskool" processing?

Thanks. I did my usual of knocking down the saturation (-15) and upping the vibrance (+15) to lose the skin colour a touch. My other processing was just to the exposure, W & B points, WB etc. That gave me a "normal" looking portrait, still with a touch too much red so nudged down that channel's saturation. "Old Skool" was using a different split toning setup to normal: highlights @ 70 hue, shadows @ 250, both at 15 saturation. Normally I'd have them closer to the other way around (shadows being yellow/orange, highlights being blue) but this was quite an interesting "filmy" look.

My split toning almost always has the shadows & highlights set to 180 degrees apart and saturations similar (but low). I liked this effect for a change though.

Biggest surprise was NOT using the lens correction within LR. The Siggy creates a lovely natural vignette wide open which I find really works. Turn correction on and it disappears and it looks a lot more like any other lens!

Strange how the odd D750 doesn't like Sigmas. I thought it was just mine but I've heard of several examples now :confused:

I've got one of the older 50mm f/1.4 EX DG models and whilst it'll autofocus perfectly through the viewfinder, it won't work with live-view for some reason. To be honest, I'm not that fussed. :)

I've got one of the older 50mm f/1.4 EX DG models and whilst it'll autofocus perfectly through the viewfinder, it won't work with live-view for some reason. To be honest, I'm not that fussed. :)

Yup... my 120-300 doesn't focus with LV. My 24-70 does. And my 50mm does. Tamron is fine and obviously the Nikon lenses are dandy too.

Just the odd Siggy. I've also had to use @snerkler 's trick of using the Default AF fine tune for the 120-300 because it's more than 20 adrift. Again, the others are all within +/- 20 (in fact quite a bit less) and can be corrected by setting that lens's AF tune.

Thanks. I did my usual of knocking down the saturation (-15) and upping the vibrance (+15) to lose the skin colour a touch. My other processing was just to the exposure, W & B points, WB etc. That gave me a "normal" looking portrait, still with a touch too much red so nudged down that channel's saturation. "Old Skool" was using a different split toning setup to normal: highlights @ 70 hue, shadows @ 250, both at 15 saturation. Normally I'd have them closer to the other way around (shadows being yellow/orange, highlights being blue) but this was quite an interesting "filmy" look.

My split toning almost always has the shadows & highlights set to 180 degrees apart and saturations similar (but low). I liked this effect for a change though.

Biggest surprise was NOT using the lens correction within LR. The Siggy creates a lovely natural vignette wide open which I find really works. Turn correction on and it disappears and it looks a lot more like any other lens!

Thanks for this. I must try split toning some time, I said I was going to do it a while ago.

That's quite a common thing and it due to having older 'chips'. Apparently you can send them in to Sigma to have them updated but I wouldn't be bothered either.

Not seen many comparison reviews to the Nikon, just the sigma. But tamron is how closer priced to the Nikon it would be interesting to see them side by side.

Tamron cashback:

Claim £75 when you purchase any of the following lenses:
SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD

35mm is now £424 after cashback - seems quite reasonable now!

Last edited:
With another one! But this time i used double sided sticky tape to hold it in place. Works a treat mate. (y)

Lost mine on the Severn Valley last weekend ordered a replacement which came yesterday I think I will use a little double sided tape on mine

Back