Nikon D750 & D780

I mainly use my kata ruck sack but need something for when I don't take my 150-600 out. I'm definitely leaning towards the messenger style bag but yet to find one I like at the min.

Will have a look at the tamarack cheers.

Anyone tried both the think tank retro 7 and 10? Think they look pretty similar size.

I want to try a few - need a big camera shop that stores them!

Lowepro Edge 250 (sling bag)
http://store.lowepro.com/slingshot-edge-250-aw

Thinktank Retro 7 (or the 10, but think the 7 is a nicer size)
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/coll...s/products/retrospective-7?variant=1237545731

Thinktank Citywalker 20
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/citywalker-series/products/citywalker-20

Thinktank Suburban Disguise 20/30
http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/Think-Tank-SubUrban-Disguise-20-Shoulder-Bag_T804.htm

They lowepro is a lot different - the other 3 are all shoulder bags.

Can anyone let me know how the Pinestone finish handles wear and tear? Not sure if I prefer it to the black!

If that's the style you are looking at why not stick Tenba DNA messeneger in the mix? Or even the cooper if you are feeling flush

Last edited:
Hey guys! Long time lurker in this thread.

I just bit the bullet and bought a 70-200mm f2.8 vrii and cannot wait to get it!

Every review I read on it says it is an amazing lens.

Do any of you use it? any example shots?

If that's the style you are looking at why not stick Tenba DNA messeneger in the mix? Or even the cooper if you are feeling flush

They look pretty nice! Not seen them before. Lots of sizes too.

The Cooper 13 looks like a nice sized bag or DNA 11.

Edit... just seen the price of the cooper... damn it!

Back to the think tanks lol

Last edited:

I just bit the bullet and bought a 70-200mm f2.8 vrii and cannot wait to get it!

Excellent lens, best lens I own. You'll read lots about focus breathing but I've never noticed it, and never gone to the trouble of testing it alongside another (why would I ;))

You're going to regret asking for sample pics, I can spam with the best of them :LOL:

DSC_1802-3
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_2049
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_7458 colour
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8131 B&W
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3640
by TDG-77, on Flickr

superb! thanks for sharing in particular the panning shots as that leads me to my next question...

I am still reasonably new to the D750 but been reading up on the focus modes and think I have the AF-S and AF-C modes sorted.

I will be using the 70-200mm at my local racetrack so am keen to put the AF-C to it's full use.

Do you still use the single point focus in this mode or is it better to use multiple focus points?

Hoping this new lens will improve my panning shots!

For motorsport and panning try back button focusing I found its ideal for that. But it's like marmite I guess

I have one. It's big and far too heavy with a focal length range I find useless. So I hardly ever use it. But I can't bring myself to part with it! :LOL:

superb! thanks for sharing in particular the panning shots as that leads me to my next question...

I am still reasonably new to the D750 but been reading up on the focus modes and think I have the AF-S and AF-C modes sorted.

I will be using the 70-200mm at my local racetrack so am keen to put the AF-C to it's full use.

Do you still use the single point focus in this mode or is it better to use multiple focus points?

Hoping this new lens will improve my panning shots!
For motorsport I don't find the 70-200mm any better or worse for panning than other lenses tbh as it's not a type of shooting where you absolutely have to have immediate lock on, you have time to pan with the car. Actually that's not true, it is easier than my 150-600mm as that's heavier and with this and the extra reach it's hard to keep steady at 1/50.

I don't use BBF for sports/panning, why would you as you always want to be in AF-C. BBF is only useful if you want to quickly change from AF-C to AF-S imo. As for the focus point, single point all the way ;)

Fantastic choice. One of Nikon's best professional lens feature and performance wise. The best 70-200 2.8 you can buy for Nikon bodies, it is sharp and fast to focus. This lens is also the sharpest of the bunch at 200mm 2.8. I don't own one and have the Tamron equivalent.

Often people get intimidated by its size and heft and I know many who has one, but hardly uses them. Hope you get good use and do post some awesome images taken with it. My only advice is if you keep shooting with it at least once every week, you will use it more and more, of course, depending on your style of shooting.

----

You don't have to read the next part. I know Toby will defend :D

The lens does focus breathe and it is a well know fact (often called as the Elephant in the room for this lens and the only elephant). It behaves like a 135-145mm lens at close focusing distance zoomed at 200mm. This is where the Canon version is the best of the bunch with no focus breathing and so is the old Nikon VR1 or the Nikon F4. Most people won't notice the problem if it is their only 70-200 lens, but it is there.

My Tamron 70-200 2.8 breathes too and it renders a 165mm FOV at 200mm when shooting at close focusing distance. I shoot a lot of portraits and headshots and I find the Tamron breathing at 200mm limiting at times, not always. You can crop, but what you loose with lenses that breathe is actual field of view at 200mm. Most 70-200 lenses in the market have a MFD of over 1m. The Nikon 70-200 2.8VRII is 1.4 meters. This means if you are shooting a person at 1.4m at 200mm, the field of view will appear as 135-145mm meaning you can't zoom in any further to fill the frame as you'd expect from a true 200mm.

The Nikon 70-200 F4 does not have this issue and since I owned one I know very well the difference compared to my Tamron that breathes. Having said that I am more satisfied with the Tamron than I was with the Nikon F4 for other features of the lens. The new VRIII version apparently does not suffer from this issue.

This Nikon is a stellar lens and top choice of pros and amateurs, so don't worry too much about breathing and keep shooting. My point was not to make you worry, but it is knowledge you should be aware of. This hasn't stopped pros and others to buy and take incredible shots with this lens.

framing-sm.jpg

Fantastic choice. One of Nikon's best professional lens feature and performance wise. The best 70-200 2.8 you can buy for Nikon bodies, it is sharp and fast to focus. This lens is also the sharpest of the bunch at 200mm 2.8. I don't own one and have the Tamron equivalent.

Often people get intimidated by its size and heft and I know many who has one, but hardly uses them. Hope you get good use and do post some awesome images taken with it. My only advice is if you keep shooting with it at least once every week, you will use it more and more, of course, depending on your style of shooting.

----

You don't have to read the next part. I know Toby will defend :D

The lens does focus breathe and it is a well know fact (often called as the Elephant in the room for this lens and the only elephant). It behaves like a 135-145mm lens at close focusing distance zoomed at 200mm. This is where the Canon version is the best of the bunch with no focus breathing and so is the old Nikon VR1 or the Nikon F4. Most people won't notice the problem if it is their only 70-200 lens, but it is there.

My Tamron 70-200 2.8 breathes too and it renders a 165mm FOV at 200mm when shooting at close focusing distance. I shoot a lot of portraits and headshots and I find the Tamron breathing at 200mm limiting at times, not always. You can crop, but what you loose with lenses that breathe is actual field of view at 200mm. Most 70-200 lenses in the market have a MFD of over 1m. The Nikon 70-200 2.8VRII is 1.4 meters. This means if you are shooting a person at 1.4m at 200mm, the field of view will appear as 135-145mm meaning you can't zoom in any further to fill the frame as you'd expect from a true 200mm.

The Nikon 70-200 F4 does not have this issue and since I owned one I know very well the difference compared to my Tamron that breathes. Having said that I am more satisfied with the Tamron than I was with the Nikon F4 for other features of the lens. The new VRIII version apparently does not suffer from this issue.

This Nikon is a stellar lens and top choice of pros and amateurs, so don't worry too much about breathing and keep shooting. My point was not to make you worry, but it is knowledge you should be aware of. This hasn't stopped pros and others to buy and take incredible shots with this lens.

framing-sm.jpg
I can't and won't defend it as it's there and can't be denied, and when you're paying that much money for a lens it's not good or nice to know that it has a flaw (and that example shows just how bad it is :(). However, my point is that I've never noticed and it's not something that's bothered me. However, in an ideal world yes it should be 200mm whatever the subject distance. That being said, it sometimes works in my favour such as shooting runners coming towards me. Often I don't have time to zoom out as I'm rattling off a series of shots so if the lens in effect does this for me it helps :LOL:

They say the new one has no focus breathing which is the way it should be, but I can't afford nor justify swapping to the new one just for the focus breathing issue that I've never noticed ;)

Last edited:
If you don't want/need 2.8 the F4 Nikon is superb, I really couldnt belive the size and weight of it!

I can't and won't defend it as it's there and can't be denied, and when you're paying that much money for a lens it's not good or nice to know that it has a flaw. However, my point is that I've never noticed and it's not something that's bothered me. However, in an ideal world yes it should be 200mm whatever the subject distance. That being said, it sometimes works in my favour such as shooting runners coming towards me. Often I don't have time to zoom out as I'm rattling off a series of shots so if the lens in effect does this for me it helps :LOL:

They say the new one has no focus breathing which is the way it should be, but I can't afford nor justify swapping to the new one just for the focus breathing issue that I've never noticed ;)

Agree with your view. You need not justify anything, all that matters is our satisfaction of what we get as images.

While it does bother me a bit with my Tamron for some shots, I am extremely happy with it having moved from the Nikon F4 and it is now favourite lens. I liked the Nikon F4 for being light, fast and sharp, but I use the 2.8 more than I ever used the F4. It is sharper, faster and love that 2.8 aperture.

Last edited:

Actually looking at the DNA, the DNA 11 looks like it has pretty much the matching dimensions to the Think Tank Retrospective 7 both inside and out with similar weight. Priced at £100 its in budget so thanks for the option! Looks pretty smart in the pics.

I'll keep my opinion a bit less wordy...

I've got the 2.8vrii and it's bloody brilliant!

Weight doesn't bother me either, you soon get used to it. Although I did spend 12 years on and off carrying a 5kg rifle about. :confused:

Sometimes i do miss a cropped body

rap4 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

The crop body thing can be a bit of a misconception. I thought about getting a crop body as I assumed it would give more reach, however after extensive testing with my mates D7200 and my D750 showed that I could crop heavier with the D750 whilst maintaining better IQ and as a result the D7200 gave me no more extra reach after cropping.

I can't and won't defend it as it's there and can't be denied, and when you're paying that much money for a lens it's not good or nice to know that it has a flaw (and that example shows just how bad it is :(). However, my point is that I've never noticed and it's not something that's bothered me. However, in an ideal world yes it should be 200mm whatever the subject distance. That being said, it sometimes works in my favour such as shooting runners coming towards me. Often I don't have time to zoom out as I'm rattling off a series of shots so if the lens in effect does this for me it helps :LOL:

I think the focus breathing is one of those issues where you read about in the reviews and worry about it, but in real life you don't notice it and just frame the image with the view you have.

If you don't want/need 2.8 the F4 Nikon is superb, I really couldnt belive the size and weight of it!
The 70-200 f4 is excellent and very good value too. If the reviews are correct it's a little sharper across the whole frame impaired to the f2.8 VRII. If it was only landscapes I did I would have kept the f4 but I don't have any regrets moving back to the f2.8 VRII. It's great with a 1.4 TC making a very useable 105-280mm f4 zoom lens.

The crop body thing can be a bit of a misconception. I thought about getting a crop body as I assumed it would give more reach, however after extensive testing with my mates D7200 and my D750 showed that I could crop heavier with the D750 whilst maintaining better IQ and as a result the D7200 gave me no more extra reach after cropping.
The distance that was away I'd of needed a telescope haha.
Yeah I think you mentioned about it before misconception as I was considering the d500 if I carried on but after a bit more reading I felt I'd be no better off.
Bit like when I got notice of a no limit Xmas present from the mil. I sent her a joke link to the d5.
After reading more into it as I was bored waiting for a tenant to turn up. I felt the d5 would give me nothing more than a touch screen for the extra money

Todays offering - my favourite subject - anything with a dog in it!!!

I took this last week, it was a moments calm between man & dog in the hustle-bustle of San Francisco near the end of the Hyde-Powell cable car line. The dog was sleeping so trustingly in the arms of his owner that I couldn't help myself but be drawn into the moment to get a very quick snap... with 70-300, processed in PS & Nik, with a texture layer to damp down the background, and yes - I ran away in case he woke up and shouted at me.

A-dogs-life-_MAL3915-2.jpg

Todays offering - my favourite subject - anything with a dog in it!!!

I took this last week, it was a moments calm between man & dog in the hustle-bustle of San Francisco near the end of the Hyde-Powell cable car line. The dog was sleeping so trustingly in the arms of his owner that I couldn't help myself but be drawn into the moment to get a very quick snap... with 70-300, processed in PS & Nik, with a texture layer to damp down the background, and yes - I ran away in case he woke up and shouted at me.

View attachment 90622
Great picture, tells a story.

But if you don't crop in post, I'd have thought the crop body is a better bet? :thinking: (Leaving low light/high ISO and dynamic range performance out of the equation.)

In years to come I'll tell the grandkids about the time I shot the Red's.... And how I talked Red3 into playing the piano in the Ambassadors living room while the Queen (shot by David Bailey) smiled on..... arrrrrr memories.

294ozrp.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!! :)

But if you don't crop in post, I'd have thought the crop body is a better bet? :thinking: (Leaving low light/high ISO and dynamic range performance out of the equation.)

Of course (ISO aside). However, I was surprised how 'much' the D7200 filled the frame compared to the D750, wasn't as much as I'd thought tbh. For me the extra reach didn't make up for the benefits of FF, especially noise. The D7200 is one of the best noise handling APS-C cameras and the difference in noise handling was marked, and for wildlife noise can ruin detail especially feather detail. Of course YMMV.

Back