Nikon D750 & D780

Shutter failed completely today, thankfully on a family day out, so not a big issue.

I turned off menu A8 and that seems to have fixed it - don't remember turning it on though. Guess I'll be keeping an eye on this.

No not pressing cursor by mistake or changing orientation - just seems to randomly do it.

I turned off menu A8 and that seems to have fixed it - don't remember turning it on though. Guess I'll be keeping an eye on this.
But you said earlier you weren't changing orientation? :confused:

Last edited:
But you said earlier you weren't changing orientation? :confused:
No I wasn't changing orientation - it just jumped around when in landscape orientation - really odd.
I noticed it a few days ago - I would look through the viewfinder and the AF point was off to the right when I had left it in the centre and suddenly it would jump back to the centre. Today it was jumping around like a kid on orange squash.

I've discovered today that it is possible to close the card slot cover door with a card not pushed in all the way.
No I wasn't changing orientation - it just jumped around when in landscape orientation - really odd.
I noticed it a few days ago - I would look through the viewfinder and the AF point was off to the right when I had left it in the centre and suddenly it would jump back to the centre. Today it was jumping around like a kid on orange squash.
I've had this happen when pointing the camera at the ground. If you do have the focus point set to alter when in landscape or portrait orientation the level sensor can get confused when you aim the camera down and the focus point can jump about.

I've had this happen when pointing the camera at the ground. If you do have the focus point set to alter when in landscape or portrait orientation the level sensor can get confused when you aim the camera down and the focus point can jump about.
Yes I was mainly using it pointing downwards today so that would probably explain it :)

Yeah never had this happen before with any other Nikon body - at least its not faulty :)

I don't know why I didn't remember this before. Probably my age....

Just turned menu A8 back on to test and yes that is definitely it - Thanks Dave (y)
So the D750 thinks that when it's pointed down it's in portrait orientation? Gotta love Nikon quirks :LOL: Can't say I've ever had this happen though and I've shot at various angles. Going to have to get the lab coat on tomorrow ;)

Yes I was mainly using it pointing downwards today so that would probably explain it :)
Likewise I was pointing down at the time. I just looked and a8 is on, then tried pointing down and moved the camera around a bit and voila it flicks between modes and gives the appearance of jumping around, mystery solved thanks guys.

Can anyone help with a question on Nikon's repair timescales for the 750? Mine wasn't a recall number yet the shutter/err issue was occurring with increased regularity so I sent it back to them (impressive service at this point) within a few days I received a quote for ~£190 to replace the shutter plate unit which I approved online immediately- great service from Panamoz by the way who refunded me within 24 hours for the total cost as Camera was 14 months old.

This is where everything has stopped however, now two weeks and no update on the online checker, still shows repair approved and hasn't changed from this status so just interested if anyone has any guidance on when I might expect a returned camera as using a tiny back up d3200 is just not doing it for me right now!

My son's D750 has been with Nikon a week now and it still says awaiting Technician inspection. Sounds like I need to give them a call to gee them up.

My son's D750 has been with Nikon a week now and it still says awaiting Technician inspection. Sounds like I need to give them a call to gee them up.

Will be interested to hear what they say, I wonder if more 750s are going in for repair (especially if the shutter issues are based on time/usage) and they are now taking longer to turnaround the repairs? When I get 5 mins today will also be chasing up to see how much longer I have to wait, hopefully not too much longer!

Glad to hear you had no problem with getting refund from Panamoz as I will be going the same route once I get the estimate. His camera is around the same age as yours, so possibly the same, and another faulty, batch?

Glad to hear you had no problem with getting refund from Panamoz as I will be going the same route once I get the estimate. His camera is around the same age as yours, so possibly the same, and another faulty, batch?

I spoke with Nikon - totally not helpful basically said our timescales are 2-4 weeks from initial receipt and even when I mentioned that being that this is clearly a fault with the camera known by Nikon and charging some customers vs free repairs for others feels a little unfair she wasn't remotely interested and said we will repair it when we get to it!!!! First ever experience with Nikon service and hopefully my last!

I wasn't at all impressed with them, real won't give a **** attitude to be blunt, considering that there, at least from info on this forum, seems to be an inherent fault with the shutter on D750s and yet they deem charging nearly £200 per camera to fix it is acceptable I would have thought it was in their interests to be a little more 'customer friendly' but obviously not

Right, anyone had any problems with the shutter 'sticking' on the D750? I have taken about 13000 shots and every now and then in the last few months, i'll take a shot and the mirror/shutter will stick up. I have to take the battery out to sort it.

Help!

Yep, that an the Err message on first shot of the day, essentially the same thing by the sounds of previous reports.

Sometimes a second press on the button will release it other times removal of lens or battery or both is the only way to stop it.

Yep, that an the Err message on first shot of the day, essentially the same thing by the sounds of previous reports.

Sometimes a second press on the button will release it other times removal of lens or battery or both is the only way to stop it.

And it a may be a precursor to the shutter sticking and ending up like this:

shutter.jpg

Last edited:
Back