Nikon D750 + Nikon 28-300 VR lens multiplyer ....

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I've just bought the Nikon TC-20E III for my Nikon D750 it goes on the body BUT is not compatible with my Nikon AF-S 28-300 lens, I'm pretty annoyed about this !

Do you know what our even if there is one on the market that IS compatible??

Thanks in advance

Steve

The TC-20EIII would have resulted in a loss of two stops so your f5.6 lens would have been f11 wide open. Teleconverters don't work so well with slower lenses, they were designed for f2.8 lenses but can be used for f4 lenses without too much of an issue. Once you get down to f5.6 and below AF and IQ start taking a hit. Some nikon lenses won't take a nikon teleconverter as the lens rear element would hit the teleconverter. Kendo 1.4 TC may fit but its debatable whether its worth it, IQ and AF will both suffer. How much they suffer is down to personal preference, what is ok to one person isn't good enough for another. I personally wouldn't use a teleconverter on anything except a f2.8 or f4 lens as both AF and IQ takes too much of a hit for me. The general rule of thumb is the slower the lens and bigger the teleconverter magnification the worst IQ and AF are affected. The 1.4x teleconverter won't cause as much of a drop as a 2x teleconverter would, and a f2.8 will perform better than a f4 or f5.6 lens would.

This may help you:

Nikon Teleconverter Compatibility chart:

http://cdn-5.nikon-cdn.com/Assets/C...converter-Compatibility/en_US_Comp_chart.html

Nikon Teleconverter Guidance:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/using-teleconverters.html

I have a Kenko 1.5x teleconverter that fits behind my 70-300 VR (which cannot accept any Nikon telecons since they have "front" elements that protrude into the rear of the lens and make physical contact with the rear element of the lens.) Can't say for certain if it'll fit the 128-300 though.

I know little of Nikon and its lenses but search as I may I cannot find any ref to a compatible TC for use with that lens!

So it does seem that you cannot use a TC with it. If my research is correct........ sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news :(

Edit - the Nikonites were quicker off of the mark than me ;) but seeing the compatibles link by Rob I cannot see your lens listed unless I missed it reading on smartphone.

Last edited:
As said, even if physically compatible, putting a x2 extender on a lens such as the 28-300 is just a bad idea.

From memory my Kenko x1.4 did fit my 28-300 but I never really used it as the quality suffered.

Hi

Thanks all for the detailed replies appreciated, seems it's a no go then, I could try the x1.4 but with the IQ & AF issues etc it hardly seems worth it, I will get a refund and forget that idea then

Cheers

I recently asked a similar question about a Nikon converter with my 80-400 at Park Cameras.
Very helpful guy I spoke advised against, as said loss of image quality and more important for me, it would slow
down the AF.
Yes I did get to try it out and decided against it.
Do you have a local shop you could pop in and try one, it may be acceptable to you, depending on what
your main interests are.
I ended up buying the Sigma 150-600, now got to decide what to do with 80-400:(

TBH I'd expect image quality to be poor - you might do better cropping in post to match your expected 600mm field of view - if the image quality is too low like that then it will be too low with a TC.

For a 'cheap' (but not AF) lens option try a mirror lens - probably around £100 used.

Hi

Thanks all for the detailed replies appreciated, seems it's a no go then, I could try the x1.4 but with the IQ & AF issues etc it hardly seems worth it, I will get a refund and forget that idea then

Cheers

Save your time and effort! NO Nikon teleconverter will fit the 28 (or 70) - 300 and the 3rd party ones that do physically fit don't really deliver the quality. I know that I'm better off cropping into an unconverted shot than using the telecon. Apart from anything else. you keep the stop of light that the converter eats!

Back