Nikon D750 or Nikon D610?

Name
Col
Edit My Images
No
Hi, just some quick thoughts please...

Im looking to buy either the 610 or 750 in the near future. Im a landscape kind of guy but would like to do portraits too along the way. I suppose a bit of everything i guess...
Looking at lenses what would you suggest? Ideally just one lens for my budget. Can i kill 2 birds with one stone? Is a lens like a 24-85 have less quality than a lens of one size?

Is it better to buy a kit with lens or buy separates?

Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Col

I own a 610 - the fixed rear screen is very annoying for taking low shots and using live view. In general terms a zoom will offer lower quality than a prime lens, and primes may offer other advantages, like bigger apertures/more control over depth of field. If you want the best zoom lens then you'll have to pay for it, in which case there is no reason to buy a kit.

IMO the D750 is absolutely worth the extra cash over the D610. In terms of lenses if you want a 'do it all' lens then you need to be prepared to sacrifice image quality. However, Nikon does have an abundance of quality short zooms for full frame, the 24-70mm f2.8, 24-120mm f4, and 24-85mm.

Most tests show that all 3 are about as sharp as each other. The 24-70 is the top end of the price and weight range, but is a pro lens and so built like a tank and has the benefit of f2.8 giving you smoother and nicer bokeh. The 24-120mm is mid range in terms of price and weight but has the longest focal range and has a relatively wide aperture allowing for decent subject isolation at the long end, and the 24-85mm is at the bottom end in terms of price and weight yet still holds its own in terms of IQ.

All these lenses are suitable for landscapes, but if you did want a dedicated landscape lens I can whole heartedly recommend the 18-35mm, super sharp and detailed lens and according to most tests sharper even than the more expensive 16-35mm f4.

I personally think the D750 is te best pound for pound camera. I've had mine about twelve months and I debated over the 610, 750 & 810. Decided the 750 was a bit of a freak as it didn't replace anything or sit between anything and as such priced it favourably (clearly Nikon knew what they were doing but that's how it felt).

The small size was a worry for me (bought it without feeling it) but, even with big fingers fits well in the hand. The flippy screen is great on the occasions I need it and the wifi, for the odd quick transfer, is ok (actually disappointed with this feature - probably the app more than the camera).

The low light usage and the accurate focusing and exposure is brilliant. It is very ergonomic and intuitive however I learn something knew about its operation everytime I give it a serious play.

May hire a 810 and/ or D5 just to see if it is really as good as I think - vfm that is!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments!

@snerkler the 18-35mm is it this one and would it work with the 610?
https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-18-35MM-F3.5-4.5G-ED/355-878B

Also why the 750 better than 610? Ive seen a few reviews now and gather its better for video but for just images which is my only need theres not a lot of need to upgrade/pay more... The difference for me and i wish i could pick and choose any camera and lens is that with the 610 i can get a decent camera and a decent lens too.

@skiking Ive seen a lot of reviews of the 750 and theres a lot of emphasis on low level photography and iso up above 1000 but again not sure how much of that id be doing. Nice to have but not my main focus. Is the 750 from the 610 a big enough leap of tech for its price difference in your opinion?

Many thanks again for any feedback!

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-18-35MM-F3.5-4.5G-ED/355-878B

Also why the 750 better than 610? Ive seen a few reviews now and gather its better for video but for just images which is my only need theres not a lot of need to upgrade/pay more... The difference for me and i wish i could pick and choose any camera and lens is that with the 610 i can get a decent camera and a decent lens too.

@skiking Ive seen a lot of reviews of the 750 and theres a lot of emphasis on low level photography and iso up above 1000 but again not sure how much of that id be doing. Nice to have but not my main focus. Is the 750 from the 610 a big enough leap of tech for its price difference in your opinion?

Its really quite simple, if you dont need the autofocus the D750 offers then get the D610 and save some money, the IQ is pretty much exactly the same. Other things the D750 has is tilt screen and built in wifi.

As far as output goes there's probably nothing between the two, but the D750 has features and handling differences to the D610. These may, or may not, not matter to you.

Yep, that's the one.

Re the price difference between the D610 and D750 that's up to the individual as £400's quite a bit of difference tbh. One of the main things that swung it for me was the ergonomics, the grip on the D750 is much better for me, I've never been 100% sold on the Nikon ergonomics before. The other big factors was the tilt screen as I do a lot of low level landscapes, and the AF system and spread as I also do quite a bit of sports. Oh and the metering system is better on the D750 too. Based on this £400 difference is worth it for me although YMMV.

Edit: I also believe they tweaked the RAW colours of the D750, but I could be wrong. They're the most natural colours of any camera I've used though.

Last edited:
Yeah the tilting LCD is great if you use a tripod a lot!

It is more money though, so given the IQ is pretty much on a par, decide the budget then the camera.

Hi, just some quick thoughts please...

Im looking to buy either the 610 or 750 in the near future. Im a landscape kind of guy but would like to do portraits too along the way. I suppose a bit of everything i guess...
Looking at lenses what would you suggest? Ideally just one lens for my budget. Can i kill 2 birds with one stone? Is a lens like a 24-85 have less quality than a lens of one size?

Is it better to buy a kit with lens or buy separates?

Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Col

I did a lot of lens research, summary about halfway down page 2: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/which-nikon-fx-standard-zoom-lens.608119/
The conclusion.. it's hard to beat the 24-120 f4 if you (a) want just a single lens and (b) don't want super shallow DoF. And f4 on full-frame is still pretty shallow, anyway. It's not what I bought but that's another story.

Having had both a D610 and D750, I would recommend the D750 over the D610 any day of the week. It's a far better and more rounded camera than the 610.

I've owned both as well. When josh comes to shove the D750 is a very big step up from the d610

I've just done research on grey imports and seems a bit of a nightmare. Didn't know what it meant. Seems to be a lot of pitfalls with a grey.

How can I tell if a camera I buy is grey?
What will the difference be with one of these and a normal one?

Last edited:
I've just done research on grey imports and seems a bit of a nightmare. Didn't know what it meant. Seems to be a lot of pitfalls with a grey.

If it's a lot cheaper than everywhere else then generally it's grey. Just ask here or check camera price buster for UK retailers.

HDEW and Panamoz are fine with good customer service. However when you come to sell you get less than a UK model and part exchange is often declined due to it being an import. Back on topic the D750 swung it for me due to all the previous reasons mentioned by others.

What will the difference be with one of these and a normal one?
Grey's not a nightmare as long as you're aware it's grey, and you choose the reputable places. HDEW and Panamoz are highly regarded and offer very good service, and also warranty is actually longer than Nikon's own as is 3 years vs Nikon's 12 months or 2 years. Resale prices are lower, but then you pay less to start with. Some shops won't take them though apparently.

One thing to keep in mind is that if a grey company dissappears so does your warranty. If you have a UK receipt and the company goes under nikon UK will still repair the item. Something people forget about seller warranties.

One thing to keep in mind is that if a grey company dissappears so does your warranty. If you have a UK receipt and the company goes under nikon UK will still repair the item. Something people forget about seller warranties.

Not true in regards to HDEW they purchase a warranty on your behalf from a warranty company so if HDEW went under the warranty would still be applicable.

Not true in regards to HDEW they purchase a warranty on your behalf from a warranty company so if HDEW went under the warranty would still be applicable.

Interesting. Didn't know they did that but I've not dealt with them yet. Thanks.

I owned the D600, D610 and now the D750. The D750 is overall a better camera from a usability point of view, AF and some handy features not found in D6XX.

In terms of IQ if you shoot raw, they are almost similar until ISO3200, after that D750 has slight edge in read noise (less purple shading) with darker scenes. Other than that IQ is same. One additional IQ difference is D750 has a more neutral colour tone that I find more natural and easy to work in post compared to D610. The D610 will appeal to people who prefer a slightly punchy image with standard settings. Having said that, the D750 can be configured to achieve the same with ease.

If I am buying today, I will still buy the D750, a walkaround zoom and a prime to start with.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I don't mind buying for obvious reasons a cheaper camera but want it to be a real camera rather than a fake. That was my initial worry. Also to have a warranty is vital as things do go wrong sometimes.

I think I'm going to call them up and ask them to explain to me what I'm getting, then if happy I'll buy. Not sure which, £1500 for camera and lens or £1900 is a bit of a leap. I'll have to see how much I can squeeze out of my piggy bank.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

The grey sellers do sell real cameras and they are produced in the same factory as what you get from stores in UK. It is just the warranty handling is different. I will suggest buying from Hdew or Panamoz or Cotswold Cameras if you are planning to buy grey. I bought my D750 from Panamoz and has been a great experience from enquiry to delivery.

There are some excellent member stories here where Panamoz or Hdew provided excellent repair free of charge within a 3 year period. In UK you get two years. The good thing is that if your camera requires repair, they ask you to get a quote from Nikon and send you the money straight away into your account.

I had the same hesitation like you as I never bought anything grey before, but after hearing good experiences I bought one and saved almost £450.

The other alternative is buying used from a good dealer like WEX, LCE, MPB, Harrisons etc. You will get warranty usually between 6 and 12 months.

Camera on route - D750 with 18-35mm lens and a couple of scandiscs from HDEW.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Camera on route - D750 with 18-35mm lens and a couple of scandiscs from HDEW.

Thanks everyone for the help!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, as I've mentioned already I'm mighty impressed with the 18-35mm G on my D750.

Im sure i will :)

@snerkler you have any shots from that lens to show?

Just looking at your website the images are great!!!
Do you do the editing yourself? Lightroom or photoshop?
Do you take multiple shots to take care of over exposed and under exposed parts?

Cheers!

Last edited:
The hues, clarity and framing is amazing, great work!

Did you use a grad filter on the sky on some or all post edits?

Back