Nikon D750 or Sony A7R ii

Name
Vlado
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all. I am new here and I need you advice and help! I am planing to buy my first full frame digital camera and my budget is 1500 $. In this price range should be camera and lens. I have found Nikon D750 for 650 $ ( shutter count 35000 ) and Sony A7R ii for 1100 $. I am mostly doing art photography and would like to do some video too. My main goal was Sony A7 iii but it's out of my price range ( I could by it, but then I only have camera body without lens )! Any advice would be more then welcome. Thank you all.

Hi Vlado, and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any other lenses right now, and what are they? Both cameras are good, and would be fine for art photography.

Long-term the D750 is going to have lots of cheaper lenses available, and is likely to be better if money is short. The A7II can produce more finely detailed images with the right lenses, but those lenses will be more expensive.

Thank you for your reply. I used for my collage Nikon D700 which I borrowed from a friend and it was a good camara. I don't have my own camera nor lenses. Sorry for my bad spelling.

Spelling is fine Vlado. :)

Since you already worked with a D700, I'd suggest choosing the D750.

Vlado a few questions first:-

1) Have you held or tried either of the cameras? The reason I ask is that ergonomics are important and individuals will prefer one over the other. Sony's ergonomics weren't great on the earlier models imo, but some found them OK. I had the D750 and found it great in this regard.

2) Are you aware of the difference between the two technologies, ie the D750 being a DSLR and the A7RII being mirrorless. Each have their pros and cons.

3) Have you looked into what lenses you want and what the cost and availability is for each system?

Both cameras are capable of truly stunning image quality so in terms of that you can't go wrong with either. However, here's my thoughts on it. I'm a long time Nikon user (although now Sony) and both cameras and lenses are superb. The only 'negative' is that DSLR is now an 'ageing' tech and many believe that Mirrorless Cameras will be the future of the camera world, at least for the foreseeable future. If I was starting from scratch now I would personally invest in the newer tech as it has a better chance of longevity and less chance of the bottom falling out of the market. However, that's just an opinion and no-one has a crystal ball. I would consider my points 1-3 above over this last point though.

Well I am very adaptive as far as ergonomic goes. My philosophy is that I will adopt to technology not vise verse. I am familiar with technology of both cameras and I know that I have bigger selection of lenses for Nikon but for me only downside of Nikon D750 is video...

This would be a much easier choice if you were looking at the third / fourth generation Sony bodies.

The A7RII has outstanding image quality and hands down will give the D750 a good trouncing in that regard. With it being one of the older bodies a.f performance isn't great for anything that moves fast compared to the third gen bodies and they also use the older smaller capacity battery which also isn't great.

I had several D750's and used them happily for many years, but the advantages of using a mirrorless camera even an older one like the A7RII would still push towards that option, even with the drawbacks of the older model.

Personally I would suggest waiting until you have the budget for an A7III instead, which is a much better camera than the D750. I am not sure what is the normal price is for a used A7RII, I would guess around £800- £900, a brand new grey import A7III is what about £1200? So not a huge difference in cost.

Last edited:
If it helps, I recently went from the D750 to the Sony A7RIV. I also had a Fuji X100F at the time which got more use than the Nikon. Sony mirrorless are a big step forward, especially if you want to shoot a lot of video. The size, although not a huge amount smaller, is certainly noticeable when out shooting in the city. I love the EVF too.
Have you thought about increasing your budget slightly & looking at the Z7? If you currently have a lot of Nikon glass, you could make use of the FTZ adapter too.

I am also in the same boat as you. From the research that I have come upo with the A7r ii seems to me to be the better camera, people say that it is more future proof however, the only downfall is the pricey lenses. I am also considering the Fuji XH1 and Canon 6D II aswell, which you might want to have a look at.

Problem is that I need camera as soon as possible. The price of Sony A73 is 1250 £ which is fine but it doesn't left me a room for lenses and Nikon D750 is best priced and I could buy maybe 2 lenses what is great. Sony A7r ll is in the middle of two and has better video options and worse battery life...well, decisions decisions...

DSLR's can be a cheap option but I'd hate to go back to one now with all the disadvantages such as lens / body calibrations, clunky depth and exposure preview etc. I'd much rather be mirrorless with real time depth and exposure and no lens calibrations to worry about also being able to focus accurately anywhere in the frame is a big advantage for mirrorless.

I'm not sure what you mean by art photography but if you photographing still life art one way of keeping the cost down if ging for mirrorless could be to use a film era manual macro as they're generally good well corrected lenses, they're relatively cheap and manual focus is very accurate on mirrorless.

Well I am very adaptive as far as ergonomic goes. My philosophy is that I will adopt to technology not vise verse. I am familiar with technology of both cameras and I know that I have bigger selection of lenses for Nikon but for me only downside of Nikon D750 is video...
I assume you mean there's a bigger selection of Nikon lenses to choose from? In which case there are, but just about everything is catered for with Sony e-mount, and if there is a more niche lens that you were after you could always use an adapter for Canon lenses.

If you are thinking of buying gear now to build on in the long term then mirrorless is the way to go. However, if you want something you can afford, to take pictures with right now, and consider writing off in the medium/long term when you can afford to switch to mirrorless, then a DSLR and (not too many) lenses is a sensible option.

There is always the option of using the DSLR lenses with an adaptor on a mirrorless camera of the same brand with all or most functions available too in future.

DSLR's can be a cheap option but I'd hate to go back to one now with all the disadvantages such as lens / body calibrations, clunky depth and exposure preview etc. I'd much rather be mirrorless with real time depth and exposure and no lens calibrations to worry about also being able to focus accurately anywhere in the frame is a big advantage for mirrorless.

I'm not sure what you mean by art photography but if you photographing still life art one way of keeping the cost down if ging for mirrorless could be to use a film era manual macro as they're generally good well corrected lenses, they're relatively cheap and manual focus is very accurate on mirrorless.
I have subject on my college called "art photography"

If you are thinking of buying gear now to build on in the long term then mirrorless is the way to go. However, if you want something you can afford, to take pictures with right now, and consider writing off in the medium/long term when you can afford to switch to mirrorless, then a DSLR and (not too many) lenses is a sensible option.

There is always the option of using the DSLR lenses with an adaptor on a mirrorless camera of the same brand with all or most functions available too in future.

This is good advice.

Problem is that I need camera as soon as possible.

How important is video? You mentioned art photography, but that's a different area & requires a different set of skills.

D750 would be my choice , better value and as said more lens choices if you do other types of photography at a later date

D750 would be my choice , better value and as said more lens choices if you do other types of photography at a later date
TBH for the vast majority of people e-mount has every just about every lens covered. The only area it's lacking off the top of my head is your big tele primes, but I doubt the OP wants to shell out £10k on a lens any time soon ;)

Back