Nikon D750 v D7500

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All, I'm looking for a good DSLR for both wildlife and scenery - probably aiming for a good used one. I'm by no way a pro but looking for a mid range that will expand with me.

On doing huge amounts of research I had narrowed it down to the D7500. I went to Wex cameras and on chatting the guy threw the D750 into the mix (I hadn't really considered a full frame). New these are about £1600 so was way out my budget however there is a good grade used one for £1000 which seems a pretty good deal.

Looking through these two are pretty similar but the fps on the D750 is less than the D7500 (6.5 fps v 8 fps) and there have been some mention of buffering issues with the D750. However reviews have mentioned the D750 is better for scenery and the better pictures at low lighting (which apparently the D750 has) which seems appealing. The other issue that I am conscious about is lenses and weight - the weight of the camera doesn't overly concern me but thinking if the benefits of the D750 are outweighed by the lens sizes.

The other aspect is that as the D7500 is relatively new there aren't many used ones about!

Any advice of the 2 would be much appreciated. Thanks

Not sure how helpful this is, but when I had a Nikon APS-C camera I considered the D7500 for my next move, and at the time someone mentioned D750 as an alternative.

The camera I had at the time shot 5 fps, so 6.5fps didn't seem like much of an upgrade, but how many fps is enough? I now have an Olympus that could shoot at 18fps if I wanted it to, but I limit it to 10fps because more fps = more shots to sift through later, and to be honest 10fps is still a bit too much, it's not all about that number.

The other thing to bear in mind is there are few, if any, really good lenses for the DX format, so if you're shooting wildlife, for example, you're probably going to want a big telephoto and it'll most likely be a FX format lens anyway, so you're not saving much, if any, weight by going for a DX body (though you do gain a bit of reach with crop sensor, which some see as a bonus).

If weight really is an issue, then going down a sensor size to m4/3 is a good option, in my opinion, a Panasonic or Olympus m4/3 camera + the Panasonic 100-400mm lens (equivalent to 200-800mm on FF), or even a 70-300mm, is a great combo for wildlife at a fraction of the size and weight, and most good m4/3 cameras knock spots off the D7500 for fps (though might not be in your budget).

On the other hand the D750 especially is going to knock spots off any m4/3 when it comes to image quality.

At the end of the day you're buying into a system, and if you go the D7500 / D750 route you'll be buying a great camera which will absolutely take amazing photos, but be prepared for the eventuality that one day you may be sticking monster lenses on the end if you get serious about your wildlife photography, whichever of those 2 you choose.

Your decision is really aps c v. Full frame and the lens, weight and sensor implications of each.
750 is better for landscapes and 7500 better for wildlife imo. Don’t forget you cannot add a battery grip to the 7500.

A camera body is only half of what you need you haven’t mentioned a budget for any lenses,
FX bodies require FX lenses, DX lenses will work on FX in crop mode but you will be lowering the resolution.
FX lenses are better quality but undoubtedly more expensive, you may find a few older used D series lens at the right price otherwise expect to have deep pockets.
DX bodies can use FX and DX lenses with no issues, new an used DX lens are plentiful and reasonably priced.
You seem to be wanting to jump straight onto the full frame bandwagon, without even sampling the DX range which might suit your needs perfectly well.
I would suggest you look at a new or used D7200 which is far better value than the D7500 and spend the rest on some decent lenses, possibly a mix of DX and FX, this is how most people start out.
Take some time and learn how to use the camera, when you are more competent at using it, you can make a more informed choice as where to go next, or possibly stay where you are.
Don’t get caught up the specification race either.........
Whatever you choose, happy snapping.

D7500 is just as good at landscapes as D750, especially if you call it 'scenery' you would be unlikely to notice the iq nuances of each.

I'd go for the crop in this situation, more fps and will make your lenses longer, combined with no low pass filter making your shots sharper. Giving you some tangible benefits for wildlife and no real downsides for landscapes in my opinion.

If you’re budget restricted this isn’t going to help but I’d probably throw the d500 in the mix.

For wildlife dx will give you extra reach but I really think that comparing d7xxx with the 750 iq and therefore what you can crop to cancels it out in my experience...

King Vulture by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

What you lookin’ at? by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Then again this landscape was taken with my old d7000...

Sprague Lake by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

I think honestly you’d be happy with either of the cameras you are looking at, but as others have said leave room in the budget for good lenses

Last edited:
Your decision is really aps c v. Full frame and the lens, weight and sensor implications of each.
750 is better for landscapes and 7500 better for wildlife imo. Don’t forget you cannot add a battery grip to the 7500.

There are a few on the market for the D7500 but how well they work is a guess as it doesn't have the dedicated connection like other Nikon bodies, but relies on the extended bit that fits into the original battery compartment like the old D200 type grips.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1368615-REG/vello_bg_n18_bgn18_battery_grip_for.html

I'm in a similar situation. I have bought a D500 and am in the process of selling my S5pro, D60 and D90, and whilst I have a D300s (which I may also sell) I'm looking to put the sale proceeds into another body. I'm looking at a D5600 as a very small camera to take dog walking but also have the opportunity to take the full frame step to a D610 body at just £650 (e-finity). I dont need the extra IQ of FF for my type of photography but it would be nice to have the extra high ISO usability in some circumstances. I looked at the Nikon 200-500, and Tamron 150-600 but they are massive and for me I just dont think I would get the use to justify them, so the tamron 100-400 is now on my list. (I have 50mm, 90mm macro, 70-200 and 70-300 lens that are FF so lens are not an issue) The question I am asking myself is really which would I use the most?

If the OP is prepared to go grey market the D750 is £939 body only or £1269 with the 24-120 lens. The 7500 is £639 0r £849 with lens.

Thanks all. Think I’m opting for the D7500 - found one reduced to £1009 with £185 cash back so bit of a bargain I think and think the down fall off the size and cost of the lens for the FF has swayed it (not keen in the grey market option!). As most have said, I think I’ll be happy which ever I went for. Now to decide on whether kit lens (18-140) or body only with a separate!

See prices above from e-finity!!!!!

Back