Nikon D750 Which 70-200 Zoom?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I am in the market for a 70-200 lens for my Nikon D750. I have around £800 to spend, and cannot decide between a Nikon AF-S VR 70-200mm F2.8 G IF-ED or a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP DI VC USD. Which would be the best buy for image quality and focus speed?

Cheers
Russ

I think the Tamron possibly edges it in terms of IQ, not sure on focus speed.

Considered the Sigma 70-200 OS? I use it on my D7200 and can't fault it. Works with converters too.

I've had both the Nikon VR & VRII and now I have the Tamron. No regrets. To be honest, I don't think you'd be disappointed by either of your choices, you're literally talking about minor differences in IQ and focus speed imo.

Thanks everyone, I think I will go with the Tamrom, and save a few quid.

There's a pretty good vid on YouTube, I forget it's exact names, but it was by that Nikon guy and compares Tamron, Sigma and Nikon.

It goes into a fair bit of detail, I myself went for the Tamron

Considered the Sigma 70-200 OS? I use it on my D7200 and can't fault it. Works with converters too.
I tried this lens, it's very nice indeed. Swapped it for the Nikon VRII though as the sigma AF speed is slow in comparison and doesn't render as nicely. Not sure the Nikon is worth double the cost though.

There's a pretty good vid on YouTube, I forget it's exact names, but it was by that Nikon guy and compares Tamron, Sigma and Nikon.

It goes into a fair bit of detail, I myself went for the Tamron
The only ones I've seen from the Nikon guy show the old Tamron, if you've seen one with the new VC and can find the link please share it as Id like to see it myself (y)

Last edited:
It could be this one (or rather series), about two years old and it wasn't with the sigma (that was the four year old one, sorry)

Best I can do for now as I'm on my phone and the extra YouTube info is hiding!

70-200 Showdown pt1 - Tamron vs Canon vs Nikon

Stabilisation & Autofocus - 70-200 Showdown pt2 - Tamron vs Canon vs Nikon
Thanks, will have to watch it later. I'm aware of the focus breathing but it's not something that bothers me, or noticed as never done a side by side test with another 200mm lens.

Have the Tamron and like it a lot. Matt's explanation of focus breathing is wrong in that video. He just said the opposite. He corrected himself in a later video.

Focus breathing can be important for portrait photographers if you are into head shots without too much cropping. The canon, Nikon VR1 and sigma breathes the least with the canon at times registering over 200 mm. Essentially, at close focussing distance or nearer for close portraits, the Nikon VR II is actually 135mm and not 200mm on full zoom, the Tamron is around 150-160 mm. I have tested this against the Nikon 70-200 F4 that does not breathe and the difference is clearly noticeable. I have to crop the shots with Tamron as it breathes. How imp is this only up to the user.

Just yesterday I was playing with a Canon 5D III with the Canon 70-200 2.8 and it is indeed a fantastic lens that does not breathe like Nikon or Tamron. I could get nice headshots without cropping

Last edited:
Why not consider the Sigma 70-200 OS?

A vid comparing the Sigma and Tamron (ok its against the Canon 70-200 but it gives you an idea about the two third party lenses compared to the more expensive Canon / Nikon which are much of a muchness, though it does go off topic during its 20 odd minute runtime!). The Tamron does seem to suffer badly with more focus breathing than normal, shortening its max focal length on occasions. Something I wouldn't have considered!

Last edited:
used Nikon f2.8 VR ........ VR or VRll .... a classic built like a tank

Last edited:
Back