Nikon D750 & D780

Nothing but respect for your adventures, so cold in the mornings all I want to do is snuggle up in my duvet :D

Been out to Winnats Pass this morning, conditions were awesome. Looking forward to having a look through them this afternoon.

Ancient Vivitar 19-35mm ftw!!!
I'm wanting to get up there for the sunrise whilst we still have the autumn colours, just don't seem to be able to find the time :(

Some nice photos again David. That Vivitar lens seems to have performed well on the first two photos, whats your thoughts?

Thanks muchly. :)

It's a bit of a dinosaur Simon, but it renders well at f8-f11. It's colours are noticeably different to that of the Nikon 24-70 although i don't think there is 5mm difference between the two at the wide end. It's a lot lighter too which is nice when moving from one spot to another and climbing up and down hillsides. (and falling on your ar$e too)

I`m lovin` the last one mate.

Three great images David, I like them all very much but the last shot pushes all the right buttons for me. Good to see something a bit different m8.(y)

George.

Thanks mate. You're welcome to come and join me one day. The more the merrier!
Thanks, very kind. It's time that's the issue tbh. I work 6 days/week and then my wife wouldn't be too happy with me getting up at the crack of sparrows on my only day off ;)

You need to work on your approach. You need to make her think she is getting a nice lie in whilst you go out 'in the middle of the night'. If you can get her to think it's her idea aswell then that's even better.

Tomorrow my day consists of shooting some landscapes, watching the F1 and then watching the final round of the Touring Cars... She thinks it's all her idea as she will 'get to do what she wants to' (as long as it is outside somewhere i'm on to a winner! :D )

You need to work on your approach. You need to make her think she is getting a nice lie in whilst you go out 'in the middle of the night'. If you can get her to think it's her idea aswell then that's even better.

Tomorrow my day consists of shooting some landscapes, watching the F1 and then watching the final round of the Touring Cars... She thinks it's all her idea as she will 'get to do what she wants to' (as long as it is outside somewhere i'm on to a winner! :D )
Tomorrow my day will consist of recovering from tonight whilst watching Moto GP, F1 and BTCC ;)

Thanks George. I do rather like #3 myself although i think 'The Unknown Photographer' is my favorite.

Here's a few more...

Winnats Pass
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Winnats Pass

Winnats Pass

Winnats Pass

I'll stop now. Well, until tomorrow's efforts anyway... :D

I'm less than an hour from the Peak District and used to travel through the area to get to where I was working. On numerous occasions I spent more time looking at the views than the road (Not clever!) especially when there were cloud inversions. So, last weekend, after viewing the weather forecast and the Friday had been so nice I got up at 6am to drive to the edge of the Peak District (Bosley Cloud). I was met with fog/mist which was what I was after in the hope that the sun would burn through. However, I spent three hours driving around trying to find somewhere without fog. I eventually gave up and went back home having only once got out of the car to take a photograph. It stayed foggy all day and it felt pretty demoralising given I got up so early and then it was made worse by the Sunday being a fantastic day.

Anyone else had a plan which was thwarted by the weather? (I know this is slightly off topic but I was using the fabulously brilliant D750, even if it mainly stayed in the car!)

BTW photos are fantastic and inspirational!

I must admit i have been quite lucky. The one time the mist came up above the top of Mam Tor i had already bagged the sunrise and low level inversion although the later mist covered shots were still excellent. I went to Curbar Edge once for what promised to be a nice sunset and it was crap.

One of my biggest successes was climbing Parkin Clough to Win Hill. Never really gave the weather a thought but luckily it played ball and it was excellent in the end. Biggest issue was having to leave pretty much straight away after the sun had gone down so we could get back to the car before it got too dark.... It was pitch black about 25 minutes later but the dying remains of the sunset looked amazing but both cameras were in the bag.

Alot of these locations are to die for but they take some reaching!

I'm less than an hour from the Peak District and used to travel through the area to get to where I was working. On numerous occasions I spent more time looking at the views than the road (Not clever!) especially when there were cloud inversions. So, last weekend, after viewing the weather forecast and the Friday had been so nice I got up at 6am to drive to the edge of the Peak District (Bosley Cloud). I was met with fog/mist which was what I was after in the hope that the sun would burn through. However, I spent three hours driving around trying to find somewhere without fog. I eventually gave up and went back home having only once got out of the car to take a photograph. It stayed foggy all day and it felt pretty demoralising given I got up so early and then it was made worse by the Sunday being a fantastic day.

Anyone else had a plan which was thwarted by the weather? (I know this is slightly off topic but I was using the fabulously brilliant D750, even if it mainly stayed in the car!)

BTW photos are fantastic and inspirational!
I would guesstimate that the weather thwarts me 90% of the time. Unfortunately I can't pick and choose when I go out so I have to go and hope for the best.

Out of interest is there a way of predicting cloud inversions or low lying fog on a particular morning?

I thought there was a way to predict but I clearly got it wrong!

I believe that if you have high pressure and a cold night with a touch of mist then you are more likely to get cloud inversions. It's about the cold air being trapped below warm air.

Sorry, but that is about as scientific as I go!

Had my first D750 'freeze moment' yesterday! Had to remove the battery as even flipping the power off didn't turn the camera off. Glad I read about the issue here as it was in a middle of a wedding and I panicked for a bit!

Anyone tried 24-85 VR on the D750? Looking for a cheap and light zoom for when not using primes. 24-120 and 24-70 out of price.

Seen some really sharp shots on flickr from the lens!

Anyone tried 24-85 VR on the D750?

Yes thanks! :D

Lovely and light, and sharp enough for me. Taking mine for a walk right now.

It does suffer from vignetting (certainly at the wide end) at wider apertures, and a fair bit of CA. But for the money it's a cracker.

Back