Nikon D750 & D780

What metering mode Simon?

Center-weighted David, which I usually use along with spot for BIF shots. I sometimes use matrix for when on perches etc.........

It's just the first time that the auto ISO hasn't kicked in as such, as I usually find it will be closer to the max when setting it at 1600 or 3200. I would have expected around ISO 1600 for these yesterday and I also dialed in + 1.7 EC, to expose for the bird and not the sky. Also, I hit focus on all the photos I kept.

Looking back at them today, I am pleased with the detail I managed to pull out of the bird and the experience was nice, as it was so close.

Center-weighted David, which I usually use along with spot for BIF shots. I sometimes use matrix for when on perches etc.........

It's just the first time that the auto ISO hasn't kicked in as such, as I usually find it will be closer to the max when setting it at 1600 or 3200. I would have expected around ISO 1600 for these yesterday and I also dialed in + 1.7 EC, to expose for the bird and not the sky. Also, I hit focus on all the photos I kept.

Looking back at them today, I am pleased with the detail I managed to pull out of the bird and the experience was nice, as it was so close.

I would have thought that spot metering would have worked best. I've had the camera be thrown by a bright background once on a portrait shoot. Wasn't a big deal as the next shot was fine. With the bird being relatively small in comparison I'm assuming the large amount of sky has obviously confused the cameras metering system. Luckily for you the files are very workable in PP. Worth keeping an eye on though and if it becomes a trait then you need to adapt your shooting style with regards to setup etc.

I don't find centre weighted makes much difference over matrix/wide tbh, and think your issue is more to do with metering rather than auto ISO.

Really like the look of that 85mm. That's 3 lenses I want and can't afford now :banghead: ;)

It's pretty good mate. For £269 you can't really go wrong. I'm tempted to add another 35mm f1.8 in a week or two. £309 from DR... Hmmm...

Bought a 35mm f2 on Friday for £130 from Wex, will be interesting to see how it performs on FF. Owned one when I had the D7000 and didn't like the focal length on DX then so sold on, optically and AF were fine for my needs. Also, got the Tamron 19-35mm arriving tomorrow from the Classifieds so a couple of lenses to keep me occupied this week.

Where are the 85mm for £269. DR or Panamoz I pressume?

Some lovely shots there. I have not used the 85 g outside much when I had the D610, but after seeing some shots here I will be out with it soon.

I am finding the 85 a great lens on the D750 and bit better than on the D610.
here's another of my daughter.

Ashmi
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

DR mate. Ask in their thread for a discount. (y)

Thanks,

I had a discount code from them last week for a 24-85 and it didn't work so bought the above instead. I don't use wide that often but it's something I want to try and make the most of the land and seascapes down this way. I'm thinking of going the prime routes for less weight, 35 & 50 which I have, so will possibly add the 85mm for Christmas, depending on my shoulder and elbow operations.

It weighs next to nothing mate so you should be fine with it.

Anirsan, the 85 is a great lens anywhere. Might try a little street photography with it over the coming months. Should be quite nice. Without the grip and hood, the D750 and 85mm f1.8 is quite a compact package for a FF system.

Can you get the shutter count the same as any other nikon body? On my shutter count or the metdata? I'm looking at buying a D750 but the seller claims he can't get shutter count that way.......

Great price! So is a D750 on its way too?

I've ordered 2 more 32gb cards for this wedding coming up. Suddenly dawned on me that i didn't really have enough storage if i shoot with backup cards. :eek:

I'm trying to hold on until I can get the 24-70 kit, but I've got a feeling I won't make another 24 hrs without buying the body only [emoji38]

Great price! So is a D750 on its way too?

I've ordered 2 more 32gb cards for this wedding coming up. Suddenly dawned on me that i didn't really have enough storage if i shoot with backup cards. :eek:
Tesco had a deal on 16gb cards with a 90mbs transfer rate! 2 for £22 I think it was

Well I'm back in the D750 fold. A few weeks after selling my old one, I re-purchased - crazy I know, but I found that nothing short of say a D4s/DF really beat it for high ISO work, especially birding in typical low winter UK lighting, where even at midday, you are still usually at or near ISO1600-3200 as a minimum with ISO 9000-12,800 a real possibility.

Whilst I still love my M43 Olympus kit and it has many, many strengths, low light bird photography isn't one of them. So I've decided to keep the FF DSLR's for everything except holidays and general travel shooting where I need to carry a lighter smaller set of gear, then M43 will be my first choice.

I'm now pretty much starting to think that the D810's and D750's will be my last DSLR's, as I cant' honestly see major steps in image quality (more incremental), until Nikon (and Canon) go mirrorless, which it seems inevitable they will do at some point, and 24 and 36mp is all I can see I will ever need. Even if Nikon made a 50mp monster for the same price as a D810, it wouldn't interest me at all.

Great pictures as usual @minnnt No 1 is my favourite

Thanks. The burst of light was pretty sweet.

Tesco had a deal on 16gb cards with a 90mbs transfer rate! 2 for £22 I think it was

Thanks. I got two Sandisk Extreme 32gb cards from Amazon for £28. Also with a 90mb/s transfer rate. Ordered a case to put 'em all in aswell.

until Nikon (and Canon) go mirrorless, which it seems inevitable they will do at some point

I sincerely hope not (I'm yet to reason why it is inevitable). I use, and am stalwart supporter of Series 1 Nikon, but I really don't like EVFs. To me they lack that clarity of vision a 'ground-glass' screen and mirror gives.

I sincerely hope not (I'm yet to reason why it is inevitable). I use, and am stalwart supporter of Series 1 Nikon, but I really don't like EVFs. To me they lack that clarity of vision a 'ground-glass' screen and mirror gives.

This is one thing I'm really looking forward to, getting an optical viewfinder again [emoji106]

Bought a 35mm f2 on Friday for £130 from Wex, will be interesting to see how it performs on FF. Owned one when I had the D7000 and didn't like the focal length on DX then so sold on, optically and AF were fine for my needs. Also, got the Tamron 19-35mm arriving tomorrow from the Classifieds so a couple of lenses to keep me occupied this week.

Where are the 85mm for £269. DR or Panamoz I pressume?

I have had the 35 F2 since the summer and think it is a very underrated lens. It usually gets ignored as is always up against the Sigma 1.4 and Nikon 35 1.8 but it transforms the D750 into a super light weight set-up and the quality of images from it can't be beat for the price.

Interesting discussion. I'd prefer a smaller body as well, but not too small. Unless lenses become smaller too, the whole ergonomic thing is not going to work for most users. While sensors pretty much define the IQ, the shooting experience depends on feel of body, controls and balance with lenses and many other things. Lot of people have switched from DSLR to mirrorless and we see some switching back as well. Preferences will always vary and I think there is a market for both to survive and evolve.

For me, to have good controls and enough buttons to avoid digging in menu, the Camera body needs to be a certain size so that it offers a great shooting experience. I like the size of a D5100 body, but if they cram a whole lot of buttons and control, I will find it difficult to operate with ease. I am finding the D750 a good body for lenses I use, but I'd be interested in a smaller camera if new lenses are smaller and perhaps the camera can take voice commands to change settings and I don't need too many buttons :D

Back