Nikon D750 & D780

Cool, I took some shots of flyball earlier this year, although as a mere spectator I couldn't get the angles I wanted :( Good fun though flyball, although they're so fast that even the D750's AF can sometimes struggle to keep up.
That's what I didn't need to hear lol. Thought it was going to be plain sailing like all photography is. Haha
Good excuse go get out with the camera thou

That's what I didn't need to hear lol. Thought it was going to be plain sailing like all photography is. Haha
Good excuse go get out with the camera thou
You might find it different, but hit rate for me wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Light wasn't great though and due to the angle I was at I could only start tracking them over the last two jumps which doesn't give much time for the AF system to 'adapt'. Here's a couple

DSC_4073
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3984
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
As there are no pix on this page ... Have another from Dungeness ;)

Abandoned by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Liking that shot very much Paul, great comp', with a good mono conversion giving a nice full range of punchy tones.(y)

"Looks pretty much like the accommodation you guys will have if you all turn up at my place":D:D

George.

Liking that shot very much Paul, great comp', with a good mono conversion giving a nice full range of punchy tones.(y)

"Looks pretty much like the accommodation you guys will have if you all turn up at my place":D:D

George.

Thanks George ... Haha it`ll still be more comfortable than my car ;)

You mind find it different, but hit rate for me wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Light wasn't great though and due to the angle I was at I could only start tracking them over the last two jumps which doesn't give much time for the AF system to 'adapt'. Here's a couple

DSC_4073
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3984
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Tbh looking at their Facebook page if I can get any half as decent as that they will be more than happy.
I did contemplate looking at video but I haven't definitely got to grips with that. Plus the AF is too noisy for me and my skill

That is pretty bright ... I have my own light pollution, due to my wifes addiction to bloody solar garden lights ;)

Don't worry - the batteries are rubbish; give them a year!

No wonder Nikon couldn't find anything wrong with it. You should have sent yourself for calibration too.
Beyond repair mate :wacky:

TBH I'm not sure why anyone would choose the Nikon over the Tamron or Sigma C 150-600mm. It's more expensive, heavier, less reach and (according to the reviews I've read) not as good at the long end. Considering that the Tamron (and I believe also the Sigma) improves a lot at 550mm that suggests noticeably better IQ with 50mm more reach. Oh, and apparently the Nikon's AF is slower. Obviously you pays your money and all that ;)

Well, I've had both (Nikon and Tamron)... the Nikon is not slow (about the same as Tamron) but the IQ at 600mm was unusably soft at full aperture which is about 1/2 stop less than the Nikon. F8 it was fine though. All the reviews I read at the time rated the Tammy over Sigma for IQ.

I only have the Nikon now which doesn't have a dust battle the Tammy did - breathes like a good'un. 100mm less reach on FF Nikon is nothing really that can't be cropped... but, the Tammy didn't work on our Series1 Nikons (V1 or V2).

Was a lovely morning out in the Peaks this morning. Hopefully i have something worth showing.

Definitely need a long lens, gonna pick up the Siggy 70-300 i think.

Love hate relationship with a longer lens ;) What about a 300 f4? The older ones were silly sharp.

Too heavy mate for landscapes. It's one of the reasons i sold my 70-200. The Siggy weighs bugger all by comparison.

Now the newer 300mm pf on the other hand... :naughty:

Ahh fair point ... I saw a pf the other day and was shocked at how small it was. That could work for you :)

For the first time ever, I'm actually considering changing from Canon and it would be the D750 that I'd move to...trouble is, being that I have a 6D right now, I'm sure Canon will release the 6D MkII within the next 6-12 months and I don't NEED to change.

The trouble I'm having with the 6D is the focus system. You can't rely on the outer focus points and the centre misses sometimes, when attempting to lock onto something rather dark.

I use the 6D for work, so I do NEED to rely on it working as I wish and with the focus system sounding so good, along with the flip screen, I'm seriously considering making the move, sooner rather than later. My workhorse lens is the Canon 100mm L Macro and I understand the Nikon 105mm is the best, but how do they compare? I see the price of the Nikon is considerably more expensive.

I also have the Canon 24-70 L MkII, but I'm under the impression Nikon doesn't have a lens that is similar in quality? This isn't such a big deal as the macro lens, as I only use it about 5%, compared to the macro's 95% use in work. I think maybe most folk go with the Tamron 24-70 VC?

Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

For the first time ever, I'm actually considering changing from Canon and it would be the D750 that I'd move to...trouble is, being that I have a 6D right now, I'm sure Canon will release the 6D MkII within the next 6-12 months and I don't NEED to change.

The trouble I'm having with the 6D is the focus system. You can't rely on the outer focus points and the centre misses sometimes, when attempting to lock onto something rather dark.

I use the 6D for work, so I do NEED to rely on it working as I wish and with the focus system sounding so good, along with the flip screen, I'm seriously considering making the move, sooner rather than later. My workhorse lens is the Canon 100mm L Macro and I understand the Nikon 105mm is the best, but how do they compare? I see the price of the Nikon is considerably more expensive.

I also have the Canon 24-70 L MkII, but I'm under the impression Nikon doesn't have a lens that is similar in quality? This isn't such a big deal as the macro lens, as I only use it about 5%, compared to the macro's 95% use in work. I think maybe most folk go with the Tamron 24-70 VC?

Any help or info is greatly appreciated.
I think you're splitting hairs between the lenses tbh, not a great deal in them and I'm sure the tog makes more of an influence. Are you not interesting in the 5D mark IV rather than ditching all of your lenses for another system?

For sure, but that's what everyone does when considering different lenses...?

At well over £3k for the body, that's one £2000-2500 step up, whereas the change from my kit, to the kit I'm considering would be potentially £500-1000.

They do, but my comment wasn't meant in the way I think it might have come across. What I meant is that you're splitting hairs in that I don't think you'll see much of a difference, not that you shouldn't compare lenses.
At well over £3k for the body, that's one £2000-2500 step up, whereas the change from my kit, to the kit I'm considering would be potentially £500-1000.
Fair enough, that's obviously less outlay. The 5D4 will come down in price before too long though.

I can understand that.

My point in changing was more based on the issues with the camera I suppose. Pixel peeping is something we all like to do, but I don't bother with much anymore, unless I know I missed focus and that I know was either down to myself, or the focus not locking when and where I wanted it to.

Asking about the lenses was merely an additional question...something which might help my mind swing a bit one way or the other. I know when I was considering moving from the 24-70 MkI to the MkII, there was a mega difference for what I would be using it for, but I went for it regardless. I didn't buy new I might add and the cost to change was minimal, so I don't wish to give folks the idea I simply splashed out an extra £700 on a new lens, without it being justified. :)

I'm sure by the time the 5D4 comes down to a price I might have considered, the 6D2 will be out.

Have you looked at the 5DSR David? Super resolution for macro work and whilst it would still be a fair few quid to swap bodies, you would have an improved AF system, familiar menus and operation and you could keep the lenses you already own.

With regards to the macro for Nikon, the Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS gets rave reviews and can be picked up cheap second hand compared to the Nikon. The 24-70 is very good although there is a new VR version out. Not sure how it stacks up against the Canon though.

I hadn't David, no. Will look into it now however. :)

Thanks for the suggestion and info.I'm sure I looked into the Sigma when considering the 100mm L, but had forgotten all about it!

I hadn't David, no. Will look into it now however. :)

Thanks for the suggestion and info.I'm sure I looked into the Sigma when considering the 100mm L, but had forgotten all about it!
I have the Sigma and can't fault it. I've not used the Nikon so no idea how it compares but I'm not sure how it could be much sharper.

I can understand that.

My point in changing was more based on the issues with the camera I suppose. Pixel peeping is something we all like to do, but I don't bother with much anymore, unless I know I missed focus and that I know was either down to myself, or the focus not locking when and where I wanted it to.

Asking about the lenses was merely an additional question...something which might help my mind swing a bit one way or the other. I know when I was considering moving from the 24-70 MkI to the MkII, there was a mega difference for what I would be using it for, but I went for it regardless. I didn't buy new I might add and the cost to change was minimal, so I don't wish to give folks the idea I simply splashed out an extra £700 on a new lens, without it being justified. :)

I'm sure by the time the 5D4 comes down to a price I might have considered, the 6D2 will be out.
TBF the 6D isn't renowned for its AF ability so I'd imagine you'll find the D750 a step up. Several people recently have said that they think the AF system on the 5D3 trumps the Nikon, but having never used it I can't comment. For me Nikon's biggest trump card over Canon is the sensor with it's large DR and superb shadow recovery. Great for landscapes and saves having to bracket most of the time, plus you can rescue shots that you'd have once thrown away.

Somewhere way back in this thread there were a few posts about flashguns - anyone got any suggestions for something non-Nikon but in the SB900 sort of size/power ?
I have an SB700 which seems to drain batteries overnight and rather than sending it off for repair it may make sense to get something else. My one big requirement is being able to plug in a battery power pack for fast recharging, as group portraits of 30-odd kids is often easier when one can knock off several shots in rapid succession.. !

Now I'm off to catch up on the last 40 or so pages of this thread - has minnt got a new camera yet ?

I have the Sigma and can't fault it. I've not used the Nikon so no idea how it compares but I'm not sure how it could be much sharper.
Nice one, much appreciate the insight. :)
TBF the 6D isn't renowned for its AF ability so I'd imagine you'll find the D750 a step up. Several people recently have said that they think the AF system on the 5D3 trumps the Nikon, but having never used it I can't comment. For me Nikon's biggest trump card over Canon is the sensor with it's large DR and superb shadow recovery. Great for landscapes and saves having to bracket most of the time, plus you can rescue shots that you'd have once thrown away.
Absolutely! This is two areas I'm looking into. I photograph items that I then sell on a website. These products can go from very shiny, to black of either shiny no dull in appearance. A good dynamic range is something that has shown it's necessity for what I need. It's by no means bad(the 6D), but there's no harm in considering other possibilities if it means I get what I feel I need...even if it does mean changing brands.
@drb5 if you look at the Canon 24-70 on the 6D and the 24-70mm's on the D750 then they are pretty much identical in terms of sharpness
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...ED-VR-on-Nikon-D750__886_836_175_975_1583_975

However, put them on the two high MP bodies for each manufacturer and the extra resolution of the 5DR is all too apparent.
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...D-VR-on-Nikon-D810__886_1009_175_963_1583_963
Outstanding, thank you very much for that!:cool:

Not everyone. I just by the Nikon in the focal length/range I want. Even the superzooms are good enough for A3 prints. Have I mentioned before I love my 28-300?

Tiny man walks on heifer's back.

_7506593.jpg

I should have opened the aperture up a bit more for this one. But the threads in his tie are pin sharp at 100%!

_7506661.jpg

If anyone's interested there are more from the Chipping show here http://dlst.co.uk/chipping/index.html

Last edited:
Back