Nikon D750 & D780

No
Not that one in particular, but think I’ve had 3 or 4 non-Apple ones, they either didn’t work reliably (would pop up “unsupported” half way through imports) or in one case caused a couple of SD cards to split apart (physically). Anyway as you say YMMV...

Non Apple lightning cables not very reliable. Save the hassle get a real Apple one. I sent a couple of copy ones back over the years, never worked from new.

Last edited:
So apart from the 300 F4 what other options would people recommend to get a bit more reach for those times when I’m stuck outside a bigger arena?

Going DX is an option but I’m not sure that solves the issue as such!

Ideally something that’s easy enough to use hand held!

So apart from the 300 F4 what other options would people recommend to get a bit more reach for those times when I’m stuck outside a bigger arena?

Going DX is an option but I’m not sure that solves the issue as such!

Ideally something that’s easy enough to use hand held!
A D850 and then crop ;)

DX doesn't really solve the issue as the D750 crops better. You can use the D750 in DX mode if you wish and still get 10MP files, more than enough for most applications.

Other options are:-
TC's
300mm f2.8 or f4
70-300mm (gives more reach but at the sacrifice of light)
Superzoom such as the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm if you need loads more reach, again you're sacrificing light.
You could of course get the new Nikon 200-400mm with built in 1.4xTC if you win the lottery ;)
Third party lenses such as the Sigma 300mm f2.8 or the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8.

D850... way out of my league!!

I am still considering the D500 but my current most used lens (70-200) would then become rather long at the short end!!

I might hire out a few lenses and see what is best. The TC might not be best for action!

I am still considering the D500 but my current most used lens (70-200) would then become rather long at the short end!!

I might hire out a few lenses and see what is best. The TC might not be best for action!

TBH I have quite like the 70-200 on my D500 it not really restricted me anything

A D850 and then crop ;)

DX doesn't really solve the issue as the D750 crops better. You can use the D750 in DX mode if you wish and still get 10MP files, more than enough for most applications.

Other options are:-
TC's
300mm f2.8 or f4
70-300mm (gives more reach but at the sacrifice of light)
Superzoom such as the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm if you need loads more reach, again you're sacrificing light.
You could of course get the new Nikon 200-400mm with built in 1.4xTC if you win the lottery ;)
Third party lenses such as the Sigma 300mm f2.8 or the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8.

Had to google to see what the price was WTAF :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

TBH I have quite like the 70-200 on my D500 it not really restricted me anything

I shoot at 70 and at 200 so it probably would me! But I guess until I try a D500 I will not know!

But you prob adjust

Not really had much time this last week with work but did do a little shoot at the weekend, think I'm getting there..

28374303519_3400685427_b.jpg

PS. Never lost my eye piece either?? And, I think the wifi works fantastically well to send pics on the fly to your phone.

Not really had much time this last week with work but did do a little shoot at the weekend, think I'm getting there..

PS. Never lost my eye piece either?? And, I think the wifi works fantastically well to send pics on the fly to your phone.

Beautiful photo, Kris! The only thing I'd do is take a smidge off the left side (too much empty space) and add a smidge to the top (not enough space.) Really love her expressions well.

The D500 would just mean you’d have to settle for head and rider shots over some of the closer jumps. These particular pictures sold very well for me. D500 and 70-200 won’t hold you back.

I shoot at 70 and at 200 so it probably would me! But I guess until I try a D500 I will not know!
Do you crop at the 200mm end to get the shot that you want?

This is good, well lit, nice connection, nice conversion. Fully deserving of a dancing banana:banana:

Yep, not all the time though! If I’m in the arena the 70-200 is spot on though.
With the times that you do crop does it still not give you enough reach?

Well, I received the package of 3 replacement eyepiece and have used some super glue to put one on. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get lost or broken. :popcorn:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My thinking too Jesus

Totally, that'll never hold. Should've used concrete or hammer and nails.

Lol, you guys crack me up! My D7000 has the same eyepiece and it’s never come off. Nikon goofed up on how to make the D750 stay on. Mind you, it’s taken me a year and a half to lose it twice. Could have something to do with my camera bag being too small for all the stuff I need when I go to do some events.:oops: :$:p;)

Last edited:
Depends, if I’m taking a lot of shots from side of the arena then yes as 200mm is just too short.
But after cropping do you get the framing and image quality that you want?

Guys, I'm just thinking about this as a possibility but what's your opinion of the AF-S 28-300mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR lens. I haven't had a Nikon DSLR since my D90 but I have recently seen a D750 for sale with this lens

Guys, I'm just thinking about this as a possibility but what's your opinion of the AF-S 28-300mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR lens. I haven't had a Nikon DSLR since my D90 but I have recently seen a D750 for sale with this lens
Depends what you want to shoot and what your expectations are? Superzooms like this aren’t going to give you the best image quality but some like the convenience of not changing lenses and find the IQ acceptable.

Brilliant lens for outdoor use. (y)

The IQ is more than acceptable for the money. My only gripe with it is distortion at the short end, but I can live with that. I've posted many pics with mine in this thread.

But after cropping do you get the framing and image quality that you want?

People who are in the pics - yes they are happy. Me? Not so much!

Example from today below, the 2nd one is cropped a fair bit and in my eyes the difference in quality is pretty clear:

Martin & Bliss by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Martin & Bliss 200mm Crop by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

And just a quick one from a morning walk over the south downs:

Brendan & Sam by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

People who are in the pics - yes they are happy. Me? Not so much!

Example from today below, the 2nd one is cropped a fair bit and in my eyes the difference in quality is pretty clear:

Martin & Bliss by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Martin & Bliss 200mm Crop by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

And just a quick one from a morning walk over the south downs:

Brendan & Sam by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

I would say the second one is more a focus issues rather than a crop issue. the riders face dosent look in focus which doesnt help i think. Unless thats one massive crop, Then a d500 wont even help

I would say the second one is more a focus issues rather than a crop issue. the riders face dosent look in focus which doesnt help i think. Unless thats one massive crop, Then a d500 wont even help
D500 more likely lock on quicker

Would say all the cropped ones are of the same quality. I might just hire out a D500 and see how it goes next weekend.

Back