Nikon D80 or Canon eos 400d - HELP!!

Edit My Images
No
I took my nikon d40x back yesterday (due to problems with the lenses) and am going to get a new camera tomorrow.....
I have the choice of a canon eos 400d with an 18-55mm, and a 55-200 mm for a total of £506, or a nikon D80 with an 18-55mm and a Tamron 55-200mm for £611 or nikon 55-200mm for £661
I can also get a manfrotto tripod (not 100% which model, 118b-2424 i think) for £45, down from £80........

Im really not sure what to do as i've only recently got into photography, and the D80 is quite a bit more than i have spent on my d40x, but both seem like good deals.

I want to get a good camera, as dont really want to be buying one after a while when i become more aware about the different features, and become a better photographer!

Which would you say i should get, both seem like good prices to me after shopping round, but is the nikon worth the step up, and if so, why?
Are there any points that i should be aware about on each of the cameras? Are these any major price differences in prices for extra parts?
I have tried both, and they both feel nice to use, though the canon is slightly more fiddly!

The last thing........ is the nikon 55-200 mm worth getting over the tamron lens?

Sorry for all of the questions people, i have tried to learn as much as i could in a short space of time, but just really need people's opinions on these, and you guys seem like the best to ask!

Thanx in advance.........Ben

Have you considered buying used? I'm not really sure which is the better camera TBH but there are a lot more choices out there than those 2.

It goes beyond the camera. You are buying into a system. This system consists of lenses, flashes, accessories (spell?), upgrade path etc,...

Have a look at your photographic requirements and then into the system and see if suits your needs.

King.

I have held both, and had a little play with them, and have to say, the nikon did feel a little more solid.
I did consider buying used, but i work st the place that i am getting the camera from, and so am getting my discount on them which helps take the price down a lot, and also am buying it on a special 0% interest 10 month scheme!!

Hi - I just posted on your "pre return" post in the Welcome Forum & suggested there if you did decide to return the D40x to go for the D80 & kit lens & Nikon 55-200mmVR - As this is one of your options that'd be my choice
Like Joe says though have you held both the D80 & 400D? I think you'd be suprised at the different "feel" - Whichever you choose you're gonna get a hell of a camera so DONT PANIC! Go with what you like the look / feel / functions etc
HTH ... Paul ;)

It goes beyond the camera. You are buying into a system. This system consists of lenses, flashes, accessories (spell?), upgrade path etc,...

Have a look at your photographic requirements and then into the system and see if suits your needs.

King.

Thanks, that is a good point, i have had a look at all of the aftermarket parts availably for each, and both seem fairly comparible!
As for requirements, i dont have a specific area of these at the moment, as im just starting out, but I mainly like transport, landscapes, and fast moving things (such as cars racing)

Thanks, that is a good point, i have had a look at all of the aftermarket parts availably for each, and both seem fairly comparible!
As for requirements, i dont have a specific area of these at the moment, as im just starting out, but I mainly like transport, landscapes, and fast moving things (such as cars racing)

With those requirements the 55-200mmVR might be a bit short so unless you're getting a great price on it in your bundle I'd just get the camera & kit lens & put the change towards a Nikon 70-300mmVR (£300ish) for that extra reach you'll need!
Paul ;)

Hi - I just posted on your "pre return" post in the Welcome Forum & suggested there if you did decide to return the D40x to go for the D80 & kit lens & Nikon 55-200mmVR - As this is one of your options that'd be my choice
Like Joe says though have you held both the D80 & 400D? I think you'd be suprised at the different "feel" - Whichever you choose you're gonna get a hell of a camera so DONT PANIC! Go with what you like the look / feel / functions etc
HTH ... Paul ;)

Cheers mate, i have been panicking a little as i just cant decide lol :)
Ye, I do like the D80, and am used to the functions a bit more due to the short time i owned my D40x, and liked the way it functioned.
I have just been reading up on the vr system in some of the lenses, and due to this, might hold out, and buy the 55-200mm vr lens seperatly, even though it is £120 more than the tamron....

With those requirements the 55-200mmVR might be a bit short so unless you're getting a great price on it in your bundle I'd just get the camera & kit lens & put the change towards a Nikon 70-300mmVR (£300ish) for that extra reach you'll need!
Paul ;)

I am getting it quite a bit cheaper in the bundle (paying about £117), but it isnt a nessesity at the moment....
The landscapes that i take are never really serious, I just have a play about with them, but the main thing that i really use it for is shots of cars at shows, and on the odd occasion, moving cars (not from a great distance though)

I must say that the canon lens did seem to focus very quickly compared to my 18-55 on my D40x, is this generally the case when comparing the two??

I got the D80 and for me it definatly came down to the feel of both cameras. I LOVE the D80!
sc1053tp.gif

I also have the 70-300 VR and would whole heartedly recommend this lens. Its superb. I have quite shaky hands and the VR gives me beautiful pics..

I got the D80 and for me it definatly came down to the feel of both cameras. I LOVE the D80!
sc1053tp.gif

I also have the 70-300 VR and would whole heartedly recommend this lens. Its superb. I have quite shaky hands and the VR gives me beautiful pics..

Awesome, ill make sure i get the vr lens then, as it looks to make a whole lot of difference!!

I like the sound of the D80 at the moment, and am leaning more towards that direction, bhut over the last week I have changed my mind so much between the two............

Remember the Canon equivalent to VR (Vibration Reduction) is IS (Image Stablization). For landscapes you would probably want a wide lens - such as the sigma 10-20mm (just an example).

As a complete amateur i ahve owned the 350d for a couple months, then had to sell up due to financial stresses.

a year on, i bought the nikon d40. and i find the d40's interface so much better than the canons, easier to use, everything just makes sense.

just wondering why you would take a body back if you have a problem with lenses ? a bit late now but i would have sorted out the lens problem .

Just been skip reading this thread.... what I can make of it is.... the D80 is a camera that will continue to stay by you as you grow more into photography. I think you'll outgrow the 400D

If it feels right ... it probably is ... so go with your preference ... :shrug:

Apart from that I believe you are not really comparing two like for like cameras with those two ... :cautious: ... but if you are happy making the choice between those two then only you can finally decide what you can live with ... ;)

And anyway there is not a whole lot to choose between either system until you get to the very top end of things imgo ... :D

:p

Just been skip reading this thread.... what I can make of it is.... the D80 is a camera that will continue to stay by you as you grow more into photography. I think you'll outgrow the 400D

Have you considered a Canon 30D? The recent price reductions (as the 40D will be shipping shortly) bring it into a similar price bracket to the D80.

Hmmmmmmm well, i went in to get the d80, but they couldnt find the one thay had reserved for me!!
Im still debating what to go for, or whether to just go any buy another d40x (mine needed to be replaced, had an annoying dead pixel in the lcd anyway)
I have just read the practical photography test on the d40x, and the 400d, and they like the d40 better!!
Im still confused, and really cant make my mind up!
Im not in an immediate rush to get one, but have vw show coming up next weekend, and could really do with having the camera for that, and at least a day befiore to get used to it!!

The only thing at all putting me off the d80 is the price, and the fact that im not great at photography yet, but have a feeling it will one of those in the end, or another d40x, i just really like the feel of them, and the way they work!!

If you think you're going to be in this for the long term perhaps part of your decission should consider what lenses and cost of lenses you're likely to want in the future. Bodies at a certain price point tend to be very similar but glass is what puts a smile on your face.

I picked my D50 over the 350D originally, because of the way it felt in my hands. All the comparisons pegged them fairly evenly, but the ergonomics of the Nikon swayed it for me.

Lens choice shouldn't be too much of an issue (ducks, awaits incoming!), Sigma, Tamron and Tokina do both Nikon and Conon-fit lenses, whilst the own-brand lenses from both manufacturers come in a wide range of focal lengths and prices....

I now run with a D80, and am more than pleased. I outgrew the features of the D50 very quickly, and as mentioned, the D80 is more akin to the 30D, than the D400...

As for your lens choice, The kit lens is a good starter, but instead of the 55-200mm options, I'd recommend going for a 70-300mm. Either the Nikon VR model, which is apparently excellent (and costs it!), or the Sigma 70-300mm APO. The two lenses will give you a wide spectrum of focal length to play about with, and cover just about everything you might want to do.

Back