Nikon D80 preoblem

Name
Eric
Edit My Images
No
Help please,

I have owned my D80 for some years now but not used it for probably 6 months. I got it out yesteday to find it was completely dead, no power response at all. Thinking it was the battery I charged it up on the Nikon charger and tried again - still nothing.

My question is : - is it more likely to be the battery failing to charge or, a problem with the Camera itself perhaps its motherboard (it is an old camera now).

Is there a way to identify if the fault is with the battery or camera without the need to buy a replacement battery only to then find out its the camera?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Hi and welcome to TP

On the face of it without a known reliable/usable battery I cannot think on any way to test anything that requires a battery to function.

Do you have a multi meter ? test the battery on low volts DC not AC

Good point........I wonder how many folk have one in their tool kit :)

Help please,

I have owned my D80 for some years now but not used it for probably 6 months. I got it out yesteday to find it was completely dead, no power response at all. Thinking it was the battery I charged it up on the Nikon charger and tried again - still nothing.

My question is : - is it more likely to be the battery failing to charge or, a problem with the Camera itself perhaps its motherboard (it is an old camera now).

Is there a way to identify if the fault is with the battery or camera without the need to buy a replacement battery only to then find out its the camera?

Thanks in advance

Eric

If you havent had a battery in the camera for a long period of time it is very possible that the small internal battery in the camera has depleted or failed.

Leave the charged battery in the camera for a few hours and see if it powers back up again.

Of course the external battery could of failed so you will need to test that too.

If the external battery tests okay and after a couple of hours of being inside the camera you still have no power. Unfortunately it could be any number of issues and the cost of repair may well outweigh the worth of the camera.

Luck me I have 3 :cool:

Ah! you trump me by 1

Somewhere I have my way old one from decades ago plus a more recent one I bought at Maplin a few years back :LOL:

I have a Bosch unit that I used in my work as a mechanic
One that I picked up from a boot sale in a box £5
and one new in a box from Aldi

I've got an Avo Model 8.

I don't recall the model but we had at least one Avo in the technical workshop in my school days in the late 60's to early 70's wonderful kit used when we were building and repairing value stuff.

PS apologies to @Eric The Viking for diverging from his request for help ~ good nostalgia trip though ;)

Last edited:
Back