Nikon D800 - 36Mp ??

Sure there was a thread about this somewhere else - most folk thought it looked a faked (i.e. Photoshopped) image. The spec might be spot-on bu that looks more like a D7000-sized body to me.

The idea that Nikon would treble the MP of the sensor from the D700 to it's replacement seems ludicrous to me. Unless things have changed immeasurably since the D3s and D3x were launched Nikon has made it it plain that megapixels can only be had at the cost of performance elsewhere...just don't see that being made in the D700 replacement.

While it's not inconceivable that the D800 could have a 36MP pixel sensor - just taking the existing D7000 sensor tech and scaling it to full frame would more or less provide that, I can't help thinking that it would be overkill. Chatting with a pro photographer the other day, we came to the conclusion that FF with 18-20MP would be the most likely resolution of the the D700's successor.

Besides, until Nikon actually announce the D800, or whatever it's going to be called, nobody, except those withing Nikon, knows what the specs are going to be, making this thread, interesting as it may be, pretty much nothing more than idle speculation.

If that were true surly they would bring out the D4x first?

Not necessarily, they didn't last time. If you look at Digital Rev's site they have a number of options which look realistic.

I'm not suggesting that the D800 will have 36Mp I was just reporting the story.

I actually think that the D800 is likely to have about 18Mpx. If it were to go to 36Mp then it would almost certainly reduce it's low light ability.

i should imagine so, 36mp D800 would surly out do the D3x sales

The D3x is getting near the end of its life though and it could well be that Nikon like Canon with the 1Ds won't be replacing it.

I'd say the bigger potential worry for Nikon would be making sure that the D800 doesnt canibalise the sales of the D4 the same the D700 did the D3. If those digitalrev specs were correct then what more could they offer on the D4/D4s, slightly higher FPS maybe and a better viewfinder?

The impression I get is that the high megapixel FF bodies this time round are going to be lower spec because thats what seems to sell and doesnt tred on the feet of the high ISO/FPS pro bodies.

Last edited:
Seems perfectly logical to me, the D3x had a limited market due mainly to its price, so it seems to me there was a big hole that the Canon filled with the 5DMK11 and was bought in large numbers by people who used it for landscape, studio work as well as video. In effect it will plug a hole. If the general performance meets that of the D7000 sensor then I think it will be a seller. I don't believe it will impact on the potential D4 as that I suspect that will have an all new auto focus system and a further increase in iso performance coupled with a few more MP. Not long now anyway, I'm sure we will find out soon :)

Back