Nikon D800 v D800E

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Found the first comparison image today, courtesy of Photography Monthly.

547c57f5-0bb5-4d20-b28e-e84f4b6b6956.jpg

Looks interesting.

D800E looks to be a higher contrast image.

I am certainly interested in the D800, but intend waiting until it has been "soak tested" in the hands of miriads of photographers then assess it's performance.

I think what would be most useful in this situation is seeing 2 images of the exact same scene taken at the exact same time with the exact same settings and lens taken with these 2 cameras and seeing them side by side. All manner of reviews etc I feel won't give a true indication of the E's performance over the E'less D800. It does seem some boost in tonal contrast is evident here but I'm still none the wiser. From what I can see pp sharpening and contrast will achieve a less than negligable difference imo (from these 2 images that is) but we shall see...

...the geeking continues.

looks like someone has pressed the sharpen button once too many times in LR

Be interesting to see the original image unzoomed

To be fair to Nikon,they have produce a camera with or without the filter.

I think some will fine this extra sharpness very useful tool,so its good in a way having an choice :)

The e looks very good to me and would be something i would be looking at for the detail it apears to show .
Unfortunately im Canon user and it looks like Nikon are leading the way at the moment and it will be a long time before Canon catch up going by the latest No F8 af cameras.
Rob.

^^^
I think Canon plan on or already have enabled F8 focusing via a firmware update on the 1dx, although it looks like they may intentionally/artificially exclude this feature from the 5d...

Möntgomery;4558331 said:
^^^
I think Canon plan on or already have enabled F8 focusing via a firmware update on the 1dx, although it looks like they may intentionally/artificially exclude this feature from the 5d...

The only problem,is i have heard its a hardware thing,might not be fixable with firmware.

The only problem,is i have heard its a hardware thing,might not be fixable with firmware.

Apparently its because of the gapless microlenses which they've implemented on the sensor. For some reason it makes f8 autofocus not possible.

Isn't that issue only with teleconverters?

well i dont think there are any f8 lens but if there was they too would not AF

Its very poor of Canon i use a 500f4isL and sometimes a 2xtc my 1dmk3 will AF with this combo but here we are sevral years later and Canons all singing new cameras dont offer this .
Rob.
eddit
also TAKE the ef 800f5.6 add a i.4tc and you no longer have AF on the 1dx .

Last edited:
Apparently its because of the gapless microlenses which they've implemented on the sensor. For some reason it makes f8 autofocus not possible.

Sensor's nothing to do with it... autofocus happens way before sensor even knows it's going to be taking a photo.

It's just a compromise they knowingly made when designing their autofocus system.

well i dont think there are any f8 lens but if there was they too would not AF

also TAKE the ef 800f5.6 add a i.4tc and you no longer have AF on the 1dx .

What is the reason for it happening at f8 specifically (or f5.6 with a 1.4x TC)? I'm confused :thinking:

What is the reason for it happening at f8 specifically (or f5.6 with a 1.4x TC)? I'm confused :thinking:

Pro camers such as the canon 1d series can AF at F8 and have done so for years, this is handy for when say you have a 500f4 and add a 2xtc i.e F8 .

Its not that you carnt shoot at f8 or f11 f22 etc its that the new 1dx wont even try to AF with the above combo, it is a very bad move by Canon as they have gone backwards .
With today's teck it should be easy for them to allow this, only canon know the reason why they arnt doing it.
Rob.
eddit
i think the Nikon d800 will AF at f8 so full marks to them.

Last edited:
Back