Nikon D800......

http://nikon.com/news/2012/0207_dslr_01.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/index.htm

Pretty much as expected from the rumours.

It looks to be close to the D7000's size. Makes me happy, but I can understand why that would annoy others. Looking forward to reviews!

4FPS in FX, 5FPS in 1.2x or DX crop, 6 FPS in DX crop with grip. It's apparently about 10% lighter than a D700.

product_03.png

The screen on the back is 3.2" diagonal like the D4, so that should give an indication of size.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/sample01.htm

full res raw files converted via NX2 for both the AA and AA less versions (D800E is AA less). Unfortunately the images don't indicate how much PP has been applied. ISO640 is the highest shown.

Last edited:
D700's retail at £1700 :confused:

conversion from USD to GBP would leave it at just over £2k for the D800.

Not sure what the big fuss is with the AA filter, i'll wait for comparisons.

Also eager to see some real life reviews of the video :)

Need something to sit along side the D700.

36mpix !!! :)
And 3000 dollars :)
Looks good...
Noe wait for ISO 6400 test shots :)

it doesnt help that it may become available in mid March :)

Smaller is not good IMHO. I sold the D7K because I am left eye dominant and couldn't back button focus with it.

I'm interested in the crop factor. It's like two cameras in one.

Looks like Nikon decided to differentiate out their models more than last time. I think the d700 hit the d3 too hard so you now have a sports/action top of the range in the D4 and a portrait/landscape camera with massive MP to go up against the 5D range from canon. Should be interesting to see how canon answer!

Will 6fps be quick enough for you Martyn?

Price looks to be the deal breaker as well as the D700 being discontinued of course. It is nice to have healthy competition so we get more bang for our buck.

Price looks to be the deal breaker as well as the D700 being discontinued of course. It is nice to have healthy competition so we get more bang for our buck.

I will use the credit card ... that's not like real money is it.

Initial £2500 settling at £2100/£2200 would be nice, but I live in hope :)

I will use the credit card ... that's not like real money is it.

Initial £2500 settling at £2100/£2200 would be nice, but I live in hope :)

wex has them pre order at rrp - £2399 so you're not hoping too much

Doesn't having a weak or no AA filter = Sharper Images? Why on earth would they make it optional! And charge more if you don't have one?!

That is to stop all the stupid people (Canon or Nikon) complaining that they don't want video and want a few hundred quid off.

So take something out of the 'standard' model and pay more.

Silence is golden (from the non-video) crowd now.. :):)

Doesn't having a weak or no AA filter = Sharper Images? Why on earth would they make it optional! And charge more if you don't have one?!

Sharper images, but would introduce moire that being the reason the AA filter is there in the first place

Probably more expensive because the production run will be far fewer and therefore less economically viable to make

Nothing to drag me away from my D700 there tbh, would have loved the high-iso of the D4, but guess i'll have to wait :(

Now that's interesting/confusing

CompactFlash and SD dual memory card slots

Why on earth have they done that ? Either follow the D4's lead or stay with dual CF surely ?

Big fail from me!

36mp, too big for me. Biggest issue is the fact its too small if it is 7000 size. Not happy with that. Unless I am missing something, no weather sealing like the D300/D700?

They taken out some pro features on the D800 ....... the AF mode on the back is not their anymore because it have been replace for the camera.video switch ....... I would expect to be D700 size but they not ......

I think i will get a D700 instead since mega pixel is not important for me and i can live with 12mp and all my accessories from my D300 can use on the D700.

are peoples lenses going to be able to resove the detail a 36mp sensor will have?

tis a fairly hefty jump from 12 to 36mp which is not going to be nice to computers lol

5D2 raw files eat up my HD and sucked the performance out of my computer.

no weather sealing like the D300/D700?

Seems it does....Nikon say a lightweight and durable water- and dust-resistant body and then about the grip the same seals as those used for the D800 with its magnesium body offer superior resistance to dust and water.

I read that to be the same sealing levels as the D300/D700...

But you are right about the size, I'd prefer slightly bigger for better holdability.

The D800 isn't for me, am holding out for a new DX body...perhaps D400, but suspect the size will be the same, using the same MBD12 grip...

Big fail from me!

36mp, too big for me. Biggest issue is the fact its too small if it is 7000 size. Not happy with that. Unless I am missing something, no weather sealing like the D300/D700?

It is about the same size and weight as the D700, and will have the same level of weather sealing.

If it had traded 1/3 the MP for ISO performance I would have been more inclined, I'll be keeping the D3.

sample images have a fair amount of detail in them with the OOF areas smoother than say the canon 7D but not as smooth as a 5D2. 36mp will have taken its toll on noise characteristics for sure.

would I buy one - no. far too many MP, would slow my computer right down and fill up my hard drives far too quickly. I am impressed with the low ISO images though

Last edited:
Back