Nikon d850/810

Name
Damion
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all , probably been done to death but has anyone bought a Nikon d810/ or a d850 and regretted it or found it lacking in any way

My photographic leanings are currently towards landscape / macro and wildlife ( lately )

Just pondering I probably can afford to buy a d850 but no lenses lol and most likely can’t process the huge files
Fairly sure I’ll end up with a D610 or a D7200

The D810 is an amazing bit of kit and the files are gorgeous and so nice to work with. I swapped to the D850 as it could replace both the 810 and 500 for Landscape and Wildlife.. if i was just doing landscape/macro the 810 would have stayed.

Thanks for the reply rob , I’m in a position where by I could swop systems from Olympus to Nikon for an amount I can maybe afford , doesn’t happen very often so I don’t want to make a mistake . Nothing wrong with my kit and I do enjoy it but the full frame massive print thing is on my mind .

I do really enjoy wildlife as well though
Maybe the 7200 would be ok for now I just don’t know

Do you do or are you likely to do a massive print ?

Do you do or are you likely to do a massive print ?
I want to yes, I haven't yet but I have an urge to put a couple of prints in my house one of which measures 2 m x 3m
I know I could do some stitching and get something that size with what I have but where is the fun in that

Nikon D810 I absolutely love, no need for spending loads more on the D850 unless used for work. Get a pro lens like the24-70mm to go with it

Last edited:
I have a D810, a D610, and a D7200. All amazing cameras.

I’m going to be selling the D610 or D7200 if you’re interested as I bought a Z6 back in January and I can’t keep them all. Let me know if you are interested in the D610 or D7200.

The D610 produces some really nice colours, and the D7200 is a great DX body.

I had the D810 and upgraded to the D850. The D850 is fantastic at everything, it allowed me to sell my D500 as it's practically got a D500 inside it too in crop mode. The file sizes are large and can cause some lower systems to struggle, as well as the demands on storage space.

I’ve been and test drove a D810 today , substantial, especially with the 300 f4 on it , very nice . Still pondering

I had the D750 and ‘upgraded’ to the D850, the D850 is the best camera I have used/owned to date. IQ is stunning, it’s perfornance is so well rounded it can be used for anything from landscapes to sports to wildlife. Build quality is superb, and it has the best viewfinder I’ve ever used too. The only negative thing I can say about it is the weight.

Last edited:
I have a D810 - and it's a sensational camera, it's really special. However, it is really designed for portraits/landscapes work only imo. The file sizes are massive and if you need something faster for wildlife etc. this is not the camera for you. I have used mine on a few sport shoots and it worked extremely well, especially with the 300 f4 - however as mentioned above the files are huge and I had to buy a new computer to handle those as my laptop just falls over.

I bought a D810 several months back and I think it's a fantastic bit of kit - the IQ is superb. The size of the files doesn't bother me in the slightest - hard drive space costs just pennies compared with a few years ago.

I wish I'd bought it sooner than I did - it is just so easy to use - swapping between different modes and focussing options is a breeze. Coupled with the 85mm 1.8 I have gives fantastic studio portraits and tethering to Capture One on my laptop means much reduced time spent in Lightroom doing any PP.

Once this has paid for itself (and the replacement studio lights) I may take a look at the D850. For the moment though this is giving me far better/greater results than I imagined it would - it was a HUGE step up from my D7100.

Last edited:
Just pondering I probably can afford to buy a d850

So you can afford a D850 but arnt you that guy always replying to sales ads to say you would buy it buy don't have the funds lol.

What about the d750, best of everything for you by the sounds of it.

:agree: the images are cock on and the file size are not too big, 27-28 Meg which your average computer can process no problem. D850 file sizes are twice that of the D750, so you have to ask yourself will they be any easier to work with and do you really need images of that size, certainly not for Flickr or facebook.

The D750 is still one of Nikons best selling FX cameras for the money, that is probably why they are still selling it new.

If you can afford the best, buy the best... but there are caveats, you need the glass and the PC/laptop processing power. My i3 Core PC managed with 24MP RAW files from the K3/D7200 but struggles with the 36MP D810/K-1 files.

D850 prices are coming down bit by bit too.

So you can afford a D850 but arnt you that guy always replying to sales ads to say you would buy it buy don't have the funds lol.
Yes that's me I take iv offended you then?

It seems I have unknowingly offended people on here who like to remind me of this then.

Anyway thanks to all who gave me opinions I have sold off all ov my mft equipment and now own a nikon d810, tamron 150-600 sigma art 24-105 f4 50mm 1.8 and a tamron 90mm 2.8 macro so I'm good to go and am enjoying learning how it works

It seems I have unknowingly offended people on here who like to remind me of this then.

Anyway thanks to all who gave me opinions I have sold off all ov my mft equipment and now own a nikon d810, tamron 150-600 sigma art 24-105 f4 50mm 1.8 and a tamron 90mm 2.8 macro so I'm good to go and am enjoying learning how it works
Congrats

Thanks for the vids and advice

Back