Nikon D850 Faults .... maybe

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all I’ve had my D850 a while now and not sure if this is new it’s always been like this but I find the live view AF to be less sharp/accurate that using the view finder for example I use it only as a landscape camera so I frame the shot up using live view I move my single focus point to where I want it to focus (I always use back button focus) press to focus then take the shot but I noticed that a light on a house was sharper if I focused using the view finder or if I manually focused!

Has anyone else noticed this??

I wish I’d taken 2 shots using both view finder and live view to compare however it isn’t every time not sure if I should send it to Nikon to be checked???

Also second fault is when I open the view finder cover a little bit of silver metal appears again not sure if this is normal (photo attached)

IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG

that piece of metal on the second image does not look normal to me, and it looks rather sharp around the edges. Not a Nikon user but I deffo think there is something wrong there.

Pic 2 is not normal, have you forced the eyecup off/on?

There should be a screw in rubber eyepiece on the viewfinder. This can only be unscrewed when the blinds are closed. When the blinds are open this piece of metal is designed to prevent the rubber eyepiece unscrewing accidentally

With the rubber eyepiece in place you cannot see the shiny piece of metal in the viewfinder surround. The rubber eyepiece is removable so that you can fit alternetives, such as e right-angle finder or cup. The whole idea of the shiny piece of metal that's exposed is to prevent accidental I screwing of the basic rubber cover which includes a glass/plastic insert to protect the retractable blinds. I would recommend that you buy/fit a replacement. I think they are readily available from, say, Wex.

With the rubber eyepiece in place you cannot see the shiny piece of metal in the viewfinder surround. The rubber eyepiece is removable so that you can fit alternetives, such as e right-angle finder or cup. The whole idea of the shiny piece of metal that's exposed is to prevent accidental I screwing of the basic rubber cover which includes a glass/plastic insert to protect the retractable blinds. I would recommend that you buy/fit a replacement. I think they are readily available from, say, Wex.

Excellent thanks I’ll get one ordered today!

Looks like there’s a couple to choose from!

Now the other issue ..... AF has anyone else noticed a difference between live view and view finder AF

Re live view and viewfinder focus.
It is my understanding that viewfinder af uses phase detection whilst live view uses contrast detection. It would not be unexpected to see differences between the two.
FWIW my D850 has been back to Nikon once and I'm still not happy with it - the focus performance seems to be very inconsistent. I don't see this with my D810.

Back