Nikon D850 lens compatibility

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought a D850 (whoop whoop) and am looking to possibly sell some of my lenses . The one I am a bit reluctant to sell is the Sigma 10-20 3.5 DX which I quite like.
I have got my camera settings to auto DX and the images look ok , but realistically should I be looking to get a proper FX wide angle or not?

If you like UWA, there's the Nikkor 14-24 or the Sigma 12-24. Not ideal (either of 'em!) if you use filters a lot but solutions are available.

Just bought a D850 (whoop whoop) and am looking to possibly sell some of my lenses . The one I am a bit reluctant to sell is the Sigma 10-20 3.5 DX which I quite like.
I have got my camera settings to auto DX and the images look ok , but realistically should I be looking to get a proper FX wide angle or not?

What is it about the results from the 10-20 that you don't like or feel you need to improve on?
Is it failing to give you the images you desire or is it that you think you have to get another lens just because you have a new, higher MP camera?

No , I am just concerned that it is a XX lens and I am going to get some kind of Vignetting going on . I have it all wrapped up waiting for MPB to collect , so I am going to postpone them collecting it and have a play around with it over the weekend.

No , I am just concerned that it is a XX lens and I am going to get some kind of Vignetting going on . I have it all wrapped up waiting for MPB to collect , so I am going to postpone them collecting it and have a play around with it over the weekend.

Just that I remember when the D800 came out and 'everyone' said it would need a whole new range of lenses to make it work ... but it didn't (okay really, really exceptional lenses did give better results ... as they would in any camera), in fact there was some surprise when Nikon included the 28-300 as a kit lens. I think the same situation may well exist with the D850, I have seen several different lists of 'recommended' lenses showing what is supposedly necessary to make the D850 work but personally I take them all with a pinch of salt, if the 10-20 works well for you why change? :)

I wouldn't want to use a sigma 10-20 on d850 - you'll lose a lot of the pixels you've paid for - 16-35 is an ok lens but with that pixel count I'd go prime and get a 20mm F1.8 and sigma 24 ART and revel in the detail the 45mp offers.

You know you can edit your posts?

I wouldn't want to use a sigma 10-20 on d850 - you'll lose a lot of the pixels you've paid for...
Spot on. The D850 is 45 MP but in DX crop mode it's only 19 MP.

Having said that, if the camera is used in FX mode, the lens might not vignette (or might not vignette very much) towards the longer end of its range, and that would enable more pixels to be retained in the final image. I'm not familiar with this lens specifically, but for example on a Canon full frame camera the Sigma 18-35mm DC (designed for crop sensors) only vignettes below about 28mm, and in the range of around 24-28mm the vignetting isn't very significant. Something similar might happen with the 10-20.

Just that I remember when the D800 came out and 'everyone' said it would need a whole new range of lenses to make it work ... but it didn't
Indeed. The pixel density was exactly the same as with Nikon's existing DX cameras at the time, the D7000 and D5100, and they hadn't made a fuss about them. In fact, only 2 months after the D800, Nikon launched the D3200, which was the first 24 MP DX camera. Its pixels were smaller than the D800 but Nikon weren't warning D3200 users that it should only be used with high-end lenses....

Having said that, if the camera is used in FX mode, the lens might not vignette (or might not vignette very much) towards the longer end of its range, and that would enable more pixels to be retained in the final image. I'm not familiar with this lens specifically, but for example on a Canon full frame camera the Sigma 18-35mm DC (designed for crop sensors) only vignettes below about 28mm, and in the range of around 24-28mm the vignetting isn't very significant. Something similar might happen with the 10-20.

The 10-20 does vignette significantly on FF, even at 20mm. Unfortunately the examples I have of the vignetting at either extreme are on my Flickr and I can't get at them (forgotten password and the e-mail I set it up with no longer exists.)

True - beyond 16mm it'll be ok but it won't be a great quality file- in terms of sharpness and IQ its nothing to right home about on a 12mp camera, on 45mp you can get so many other lenses that will do 16mm-20mm better.

I'd have no issues using FX lenses on DX bodies - in many ways its preferable as they're be no shading even wide open and you are only using the sharper centre bit. Aside if I was doing it again for landscapes a D500/D7200 etc with a 14-24 would be amazing for landscapes giving a 21-35 field of view and amazing center sharpnes, even at wide apertures.

Back