Nikon D90 AF point illumination question..

Name
Jacques
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys..

Today I got my first Nikon ever and I quite like it, but I have one question. When selecting a single AF point and setting it as the center one, are all of them meant to still light up (including the active one in brackets) when I "half press" the shutter button? I mean, the selected AF point does have brackets around it to indicate that it's the active point, but still the entire viewfinder lights up!

Every Canon I had before you selected the AF point you want and just that point will light up when focusing..

Is it normal on the D90, for every AF point in the viewfinder to turn red? Is there any way to have just the active AF point light up?

Sorry if this is a totally NOOB question..

Thanks

Hi David,

I sold my 5D Classic a while ago due to the dated LCD screen and ancient AF. I was saving up for a mkII, but then I got a Nikon fit Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for silly money and decided that a D90 would make for a decent crop body..

As for focusing mode, I am in AF-S mode, and matrix metering. I have tried other modes, but it does not seem to make any change.

Thanks for the welcome ;)

Been considering a 5dc myself just for some cheap full frame fun...

The d90 is a well respected camera and I'm sure you'll get to love the system as a whole. Have a google, maybe the Ken Rockwell site has the answer, as long as you don't take him too seriously, he's usually a good source for information.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of Danbo with the f1.4! :)

Found the Ken Rockwell page last night amd went through all the info he provides. Sadly he says nothing about the AF point illumination.. :(

Anyone else with a D90??

hi, go into your menu ... custom setting menu... a Autofocus and look at a1. it's more than likely on AF-area mode, change it to single point

hi, go into your menu ... custom setting menu... a Autofocus and look at a1. it's more than likely on AF-area mode, change it to single point

Hi John, it's already on "single AF point" mode..

Just to recap:

The focus mode is on AF-S mode
The AF-area mode is on Single Point

When I "half press" the shutter button all the points illuminate for a second including the brackets around the selected "active" point.

After that second, I hear the AF confirmation beep and the red illumination goes away..

Last edited:
all points do illuminate but are small squares apart from the active point which is larger.

all points do illuminate but are small squares apart from the active point which is larger.

Ok, seems like that's normal then. Maybe I'm just use to Canons where just the selected AF point illuminate when it comes into focus.

Maybe the D90 was the wrong choice when moving from a Canon :(

Even on manual focus, the canon AF points light up and you get a conformation beep to let you know you are in focus..

The D90 sadly has non of that...

Hi, on my D90 they all flash red for an instant whichever area focus mode is selected.
In Single point the central point is then selected for the focus.
To test this switch to Auto area mode (MENU > a Autofocus > a1 AF-area mode > Auto-area), then point the camera at the same subject/view
and you will see which (other) points are selected after they have all flashed red.
I'm no expert but hope this helps.

I think newer and higher models operate as you remember from Canon, certainly D7000, D300 and D700 light up which focus point being used. Not sure about D3xxx and D5xxx range though.

As for manual focus you should have a look at the manual focus indicator (should be at the bottom left of the VF, it's been there for all my nikon bodies) it will be arrows when not in focus and turn to a green dot when in focus.

Thanks Greame and Andy, seems everything is ok then.. Just something to get used to.. :(

Back