nikon d90 autofocus (but could be any nikon autofocus)

Edit My Images
No
Just got my Nikon D90. Great camera but the autofocus infuriates me. Coming from either old manual everything film SLR or compacts, I find that the autofocus on my DSLR is just a bit too clever. For landscapes at a distance, not a problem but closer and trying to minimise depth of field, I find the autofocus picking areas that I want to be out of focus. I know I can change/pick the autofocus point manually but this is a bit cumbersome.

Any Nikon owners got any tips on what is the best autofocus set ands how it works for them?

PS it may be a day or so before I reply as I'm away on business... in the meantime, I'll keep playing...

Cumbersome ?

You can change the point of focus whilst looking through the viewfinder, with you're finger on the shutter, you're thumb on the wheel, it takes a little one handed multi tasking but becomes second nature pretty quickly.

Sounds like you have the camera set on auto area or dynamic area autofocus, which may be the default setting on Auto mode, the camera usually focuses on the closest subject automatically.
Try setting autofocus to single area ( Custom Settings Menu (a: Autofocus) set a1 to single point and the focus point will be user selectable, ie, you chose where the camera focuses not the other way round. You may have to use P A or S settings for this, start off with P.
Allan

I had the same trouble when I got my D80, but I changed the default settings and its ok. I use the single area AF and then select which focus point I need using the 4 way pad on the back, though often I just use Manual focus anyway.

I just experimented with various AF settings until I found which worked best.

Okay, excuse me then....

I don't understand your point then

... if you use the center AF point and recompose, the shots going to re-focus on a different point as well... which negates doing it in the first place.

:thinking: ? :)

"Try setting autofocus to single area ( Custom Settings Menu (a: Autofocus) set a1 to single point and the focus point will be user selectable, ie, you chose where the camera focuses not the other way round"

If the centre focus point isnt where you want the focus, move the 4 way pad to move the focus point to where you want it, compose and shoot..
If you set the camera up as above, YOU select where it focuses, the point wont move till you tell it to.

If you have the focus set to single rather than continuous, keeping the shutter release 1/2 pressed will lock the focus on the original point of focus. Recomposing doesn't send the AF looking for a new place to focus unless you take your finger off the button.

I would suggest that the OP sits down with the manual and has a good (if rather dry and boring) read.

If you have the focus set to single rather than continuous, keeping the shutter release 1/2 pressed will lock the focus on the original point of focus. Recomposing doesn't send the AF looking for a new place to focus unless you take your finger off the button.

I would suggest that the OP sits down with the manual and has a good (if rather dry and boring) read.

Absolutely! There's nothing cumbersome about setting a single AF point, in fact once it's set - just leave it, it's the usual way of working most of the time.

I give up...........:bang:

Allan

I give up...........:bang:

Allan

I guess thats for me ..

Allan Its just a misunderstanding of PD's point, I've re-read this thread now a few times since seeing your reply :puke: ... and I guess, if I'd had thought about it for longer, PD was talking single focus wasn't he..

So, yep my fault, I do understand you all now... Soz peeps, going a bit mad recently.

Thanks folks, most of the posts identifed the obvious solutions (first of which was to read the manual when I got it). I still find the two button shuffle cumbersome and holding down the shutter half way is tricky as I am getting used to the sensitivity.

After a few days playing I think I'm mostly settled on single point autofocus and selecting the point via the multi selector.

Thanks again!

Back