Nikon D90 default ISO setting - 200 or Lo 1

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have a question about what you use as your default ISO setting on your Nikon D90's or similar. I have mine set at ISO 200, is this generally the lowest you go or do people use the LO 1.0 etc? Does this actually produce a proper ISO 100 and is the clarity any better than ISO 200?

Cheers

200 will be the native ISO for the sensor, 100 (Lo1) will be achieved with computing trickery ... 200 will be the better option

ISO200 is the lowest native ISO on the D90. The LO (and HI) settings are forced in camera, which is why they are not called ISO100 etc.

I only use LO if I need to slow the shutter speed more than ISO200 allows me.

That's what I thought, I always use 200 but just wondered if 100 offered anything better.

To be honest I am usually at the other end of the scale on my D300 with my stuff :D

The native ISO (200 in this case) will produce the best results.

The lo settings reduce the dynamic range so you're much better of sticking with 200 asa

cool, just wondered as it had the option. Why is the lowest 200 on a D90 and my D70 did ISO 100?

Because the sensor has better ISO performance on the D90.

No that's not strictly true, though it does have better ISO performance it's not the reason why the native resolution moved to ISO200.

Instead of trying to increase sensor dynamic range over a broad spectrum (ISO 100-6400) they chose to shift the dynamic range and drop ISO 100 figuring most in practical use don't use it (mistake!), dropping it and shifting the native resolution allowed easier extension of the dynamic range in high ISO's

Back