Nikon D90 long exposure?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
does anyone know how long the shutter on a d90 stays open for if i set it to bulb? as my fujifilm s100fs was only 30 seconds. hopefully i can leave it open longer for the shooting stars tonight.. ben

If you've got a remote that can lock the shutter open then err....the sky's your limit :LOL:

With something like the ML-L3you are limited to, iirc, 25 or30 minutes.

oh ok cool, how will i know when its up will it just click off??

Page 86 of the (extremely usefull book...) manual says that the maximum bulb time is 30 minutes. Note that if Long Exposure NR is selected, the camera will make a second exposure of the same duration but without opening the shutter (so it can subtract as much noise as possible that's appeared as a result of the long exposure). Sod's law dictates that this period of camera down-time is when the frequency of shooting stars is at its greatest... Also, beware of dew falling on the front element, planes flying through the frame and clouds.

Ben, I'm not sure whether that's the best bet... the Perseids I caught were quite faint, and would likely be hard to see amongst the startrails. I used 25s exposures, continuous shooting, and locked the remote... I caught 4 over 108 frames. The best ones were, of course, elsewhere in the sky...

cheers guys :) trying some star trails tonight :)

Back