Nikon D90 + SB-600 : Extra slave needed

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon D90 with an SB-600, which i use off camera with the built in commander mode on the D90. This works great, but I am thinking of adding another 1 or two flashes to my kit bag!

Rather than buy another two SB-600's (which would be quite expensive) I am looking for a simple slave that will be able to work alongside my current set up. I dont need 3x SB-600's with all their additional functionality (if that makes sense), just another flash or two that will work remotely alongside.

Anybody have any ideas for me please?

Ok, with the power of google behind me, it seems what I was looking for was an SB-R200.

However, these retail for £180. And the SB-600 is £230.

I was hoping for something quite a bit cheaper, perhaps around the £100 mark.

Anybody know of any other make that also works with the Nikon Creative Lighting system?

Nissin Speedlite Di622 is a good flash around the £100 mark

Thanks! Thats more like it. Have you used yours alongside your D90 ? (with an SB-600 too ? )
(y)

The SB-R200 is just really for macro work, if you want a "proper" flash with CLS compatibility your cheapest option is the SB600. The other flashgun mentioned above, the Di622, will only work as an optical slave, you wouldn't be able to control it from your D90.

You can pick up used SB600 for around £150, or there is a seller on that auction site selling new for £166 delivered (probably grey import).

... the Di622, will only work as an optical slave, you wouldn't be able to control it from your D90.

I think "optical slave" is all I really need. Just something that can sit, remotely, and fire when told, on manual settings.

Thanks! Thats more like it. Have you used yours alongside your D90 ? (with an SB-600 too ? )
(y)

I have used the flash on the camera (works great) and I have fired it remotely just using cameras pop-up flash and it works fine but I don't have a SB-600 to try it with

Of course it will work well as an optical slave and you could get a cheap radio trigger to fire it out of line of sight

If all you need is extra flashes to work off camera, buy a couple of yongnuo yn460-ii's (£30 each) and a couple of sets of rf-602 radio triggers. and bob's your uncle.

The possible problem I see with the RF-602 transmitter is that it looks like it will block the pop-up flash, so that you will lose the ability to communicate with any CLS flashes.

true but you wouldnt need the pop-up flash - just stick a receiver on each of the off camera flashes.

I guess if you are mixing CLS and non-CLS flashes you would be using manual mode anyway.

Thank you for all your advice. I have heard horror stories about cheap radio triggers, so I will probably go for a Nissin Speedlite Di622.

Back