Nikon D90 & SB-900 off Camera Lighting

Edit My Images
No
Hey Guys

I wanted to know whats the best way to use my SB-900 off the camera? I know a way of doing it via the pop up flash, but the problem is when using the pop up flash you get the light from that on your object which I dont want

Is there any other way of using the SB-900 Remotely?

Go easy this is my 1st post!:wave:

How about turning the power of the pop up flash down completely?, can be done in menu

I've tried that using the menu and putting a -- on the popup flash but it still seems to be going off.

You can either set the pop-up to "---" in the camera menu or, if you feel it's still contributing to the exposure, use one of these, the SG3-IR...

58be_1_sbl.JPG

Yes thats true but I find the power of the flash is pretty negligible, from looking at the photo's.

I guess you can try some cheapo flash triggers such as the yongnuo RF-603, can be had for about £30 or less on various sites, or a flash cord? or what flash in the pan has recommended :)

Last edited:
You can either set the pop-up to "---" in the camera menu or, if you feel it's still contributing to the exposure, use one of these, the SG3-IR...

58be_1_sbl.JPG

Thanks for your reply.

I've also looked into that avenue but I wanted something more stable. Would a wireless trigger, trigger the sb-900 off? I also own a portable studio and could use it for that aswel..

Am started to get into more creative stuff and could do a wide range.

The yongnuo RF-603 looks great and fairly cheap? Would you always need to a receiver on the flash? is there a wireless trigger that would sit on you camera and act as a sender to the the SB-900?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I've also looked into that avenue but I wanted something more stable. Would a wireless trigger, trigger the sb-900 off? I also own a portable studio and could use it for that aswel..

A set of RF-602 or 603 triggers, as mentioned above are you're best bet, unless you need to maintain ttl, in which case you'll need to consider a fairly serious investment trigger-wise.

With the camera settings at 1/200 f5.6+ and base iso, 128th power on your pop up shouldn't light your subject...i know this because i used to use the same setup...

Just do that and put your sb900 in creative lighting slave mode and adjust via the camera.

Another alternative would be the SU-800 commander if you want CLS, uses IR instead of a flash. Just over £200.

When you switch the pop-up to --- it still goes off, but only at a very low level. You'll only notice it at all if you're extremely close.

What you're seeing is the pre-flash, which sets the exposure and sends all the remote commands. But all that happens before the shutter actually opens. Try it before buying stuff you might not need.

the pop up can be set to not fire during the time the shutter is open, I've used it with an SB 600 that way, though I find it a bit of a faf setting it. I'm getting some remote triggers as a result.

Are you using commander mode ?

In commander mode you can set the onboard flash to zero but it will still opperate the SB900.

Search youtube for nikon creative light system or cls and all will be explained. Benefits of cls are ttl metering the disadvantage is it has limited range and might not work in bright light.

Back