Nikon D90 v D3000

Edit My Images
No
Hi I have recently started a camera course and have a D90. Having read reviews on cameras the D90 still seems to be ahead of the D3000 in reviews. Just want to double check this as our course tutor seems to be stating that D90 is old, fair enough older than D3000 and not as good. He seems to think it is an old out of date camera. Which is the better camera in layman terms? Thanks

Imho the tutors a fool for suggesting that, nothing wrong with the d90 and has some good gadge that you wont find on the d3000, namely the top lcd screen and a better layout of click wheels and buttons!

....plus the D90 has an autofocus motor built in which D3000 doesn't.

I reckon your tutor should know better. ;)

Last edited:
Might the gentleman in question be willing to buttress his assertion with specifics?

Certainly, technology advances (and how), but the D90's sensitivity isn't hugely less than that of current bodies, such as the D7100 I migrated to, following my original D90. No question, the D7100 surpasses it in many regards, but you'll still easily wind up with great shots with a D90 - lower resolution, slightly noisier, but those are challenges presenting themselves even with top-end kit, as far as wildlife photography goes.

(For my part, I'd invite said tutor to examine my Flickr stream. Between December 2009 and April 2013, I used a D90; since, a D7100. For wildlife work, mostly the same lens, post September 2010: a Nikkor 300mm f/4D AF-S)

Ultimately: look at used dealers' stocks of D90s. There'll be plenty of most other models, but the D90s get snapped up.

Ask your tutor to explain, specifically, why he thinks the D3000 is better than the D90. The fact that it's an older model is irrelevant in itself.

I'd be worried, the tutor clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

In no way, not a single one, is the D3000 better than the D90. The D90 is still sold today and is perfect as a camera that a beginner can use but also grow into as it has lots of extra controls. No one wants the D3000 and rightly so, it was always the dog of Nikons line up.

clearly the tutor doesn't know what he's taking about........he should be advising you to buy a canon :LOL:

joking aside , I would be slightly concerned at the tutors lack of knowledge , especially if his expressed reason is 'well its got more megapixels innit'

You sure he said D3000 and not D300?? If so he is mistaken as the D90 is quite the better camera, if it was the D300 he is probably correct, though the D90 is still a fine camera. The D3000 on the other hand was truly horrid imo/e.

clearly the tutor doesn't know what he's taking about........he should be advising you to buy a canon :LOL:

joking aside , I would be slightly concerned at the tutors lack of knowledge , especially if his expressed reason is 'well its got more megapixels innit'
ummm it doesn't ... the D3000 has 10, the D90 has 12 ;)

You sure he said D3000 and not D300?? If so he is mistaken as the D90 is quite the better camera, if it was the D300 he is probably correct, though the D90 is still a fine camera. The D3000 on the other hand was truly horrid imo/e.

ummm it doesn't ... the D3000 has 10, the D90 has 12 ;)

Pretty close call between D90 and D300 so he is still not correct to slate the D90 just for being old

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D300-vs-Nikon_D90

Last edited:
D90 is a fantastic camera. Ask your tutor to back up hi claims. Two control dials for starters!

A tutor that clearly doesn't know what he/she is talking about? Mmmmm. Doesn't bode well for the students now does it.

The two cameras came out around the same time, however the D90 was a higher end model. The D3000 was entry level and used sensor technology from the previous generation of Nikon DSLRs. I can not think of any way in which is better then a D90.

For some odd reason the D3000 has remained on sale despite the release of the D3100 & D3200, this is why the instructor thinks they're a more modern camera.

I had a D3000 before my D7000 and although not a bad camera I'd of swapped to a D90 in a heartbeat if Id had the chance. The top LCD display and two control dials would be enough on their own!
My dad had a D90 at the time and I was very jealous of it!

I still have my d90 along side my D7000 just can't bare to part with it, its a smashing camera :)

After owning 1series Canons, D700's and D3 I've just bought a D90. Nuff said.

This really is pretty appalling from the tutor. I could understand telling someone, as pleasantly as possible, that their camera is not adequate if, for example, the course included the use of manual settings and the camera could not be set to manual.

This is not the case here and telling a student his camera isn't really up to the job is not going to help anyone's confidence. Even worse when, you guys in the know about Nikon, are clear that the D90 is a more versatile camera.

Dave

Well I started with a D3000 and soon after realised that I should have brought a higher spec camera, D3000 was ok but access to many settings was via several screens whereas on the D90 that I replaced it with so many more are immediately at hand. As soon as I got the d90 it felt like a much more capable camera, and is after all a well respected camera and will out perform most amateur photographer's. I would be tempted to find a new tutor if his that far out of touch with his subject!

Back