Nikon D90

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, can anyone give me advice? , I have owned my Nikon for about 2 years now but sometimes when i go to take a picture my aperture reads F90! And the settings ie shutter and aperture can not be changed, even when I turn the camara off it stays on, I have to remove the battery to reset it. I always shoot mode and usually RAW.
Similar happened other year when I got about 4ft from prince Charles, the camara started putting in its own settings after I get it set up.
I have a 18/200 vr2 lens on and MD D80 battery pack.

Does it only do it with the battery grip on.
Some battery grips are known to do strange things to cameras.
Take the grip off and try for a while

Now you mention it I believe I did have the battery grip on both times. Will give it a go without.
Thanks.

I would certainly bet thats the culprit. Is it a genuine or 3rd party grip?

I believe you prob right at that as I don't recall it without the grip on, not that I do much really, partner bought it me it says Nikon on it but it says made in Thailand! Nikon corp Japan.
Thanks.

Sounds genuine, they are made in Thailand.

Cheers Tom that's a relief, at least it's prob not a fault with camara, and to Simon the grip just takes the two batteries, only put it on today as battery was a bit low but do think Tom has hit nail on head.
Thanks.

Hi Sean,

There is a well known and documented problem with the MB-D80 grip on the D90. The middle of the three pointed contacts in the camera body sometimes doesn't make contact with the pad on the grip. This is the battery sense contact and the fault confuses the camera into thinking there's no battery fitted.

Often, when the fault is present, simply loosening the grip securing wheel will bring the camera back to life.

Take a look at the the middle pad on the grip and you'll see where the pin has been making contact - simply bend the pin to get a good contact.

Hope that helps :)

Hi, thanks for that advice I will have a look and give it a try, think for now though i will prob just take the grip off and see if it happens again, thanks.

Back